1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Jetglo

Jetglo New Member

Perfect - I'll come back to you and try it. Thank you.

2. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Using Ts-Pc, what should i change to feel my wheels slipping as soon as possible. Currently with gt1 cars I can not sense the slipping via FFB only visual perception. But with mini it is somewaht ok.

3. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

Karsten
    Fantastic work with your custom ffb mastery. Version .34 is getting very close to the real deal.
    I can finally feel and control the slide and throttle steer like a real race car. Bravo. I can't thank you enough for your work it makes all the difference and is making this sim great. Reiza should hire you.
    Cheers,
    ~AxisMagi

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jetglo

Jetglo New Member

Looks like this worked - thank you. Although I found I had to change the gain massively depending on the car to stop it happening again.

Some cars, like the Mini Challenge I has to run the gain up to 70 to get a proper feel. However, the formula cars, if I went over 20 the wheel would go crazy again. Is that normal?

5. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yes, that is expected.

The mini & caterhams too I did not examine exactly what makes it so, but easy to adjust the gain high on those.

For the formula cars & other high df cars as well, the custom file utilizes the full available bandwidth & will let that high downforce come to play. So the force will get many times higher than the gain you set it at, under the higher loads. So the only way to have that full range feel-able in your steering wheel is to exactly start out at much lower gain & then it will build up & you get that whole range. When you set gain at for example 40-50% for the formulas, the custom file will do it's best so you still get the range, but it will reach 100% output force & depending on your steering wheel rim & other equipment this can easily lead to violent oscillations on potent hardware.

Good news is that the next version is much improved reg. oscillationes & the damping is improved on top of that, so you will get far less of these things shortly :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

I've also had some issues with oscillations on my DD1, and you might try to reduce FEI a bit. I'm currently running FEI 70 and NDP 25%, and can now let go of the wheel in the 911 GT1 without wild oscillations :)

7. Karsten Hvidberg

I am not so familiar with the fantec filters & their namings, but on my simucube 2 I have turned all damping, friction & inertia filters to 0%.
    They should be handled by the custom file, where I have damping at 50%.

But it's all however we each like it, just so you know my settings too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. torsteinvh

Thanks, I have friction and inertia filters at a few %, but without the damping filters on the Fanatec side I get oscillations. I'll do some more focused testing this weekend, and see if I can isolate specific Fanatec filters that affect the oscillations.

9. Karsten Hvidberg

The last iteration does lend itself to more oscillations than a few versions back. The version I am currently running is appr. 10x better in that regard :) Hoping to post it later.

• Like Like x 4
  10. AxisMagi

Karsten, I'm also running Simucube2, What are your settings in AMS2 and Simucube2 ?

11. Karsten Hvidberg

In TD:

Force: 25nm
    Recon: 1
    Friction: 0
    Damping: 0
    Inertia: 0
    Slew rate limit: unlimited

In-game:

Gain: 25-65, depending on car. Formulas ~25, less downforce higher gain.
    Lfb 3-30. This one is very subjective, so adjust as you feel. More value means sharper feeling. But for example in a formula you prob. want it low.
    Fx 50%.
    Damping 50%.

My steering wheel is slightly large, so if you run a formula style rim, you prob. want lower FX and lower Gain.

12. AxisMagi

Thanks that's really helpful for a baseline. Have it feeling really good.
    Very impressed with the Simucube2

13. torsteinvh

Here's my Fanalab settings for my DD1:
    upload_2021-1-8_22-27-20.png

Friction, Inertia and Damper all at 0%.
    I found that the key to avoid violent oscillations at high speed was to add a bit of speed sensitive damping:
    upload_2021-1-8_22-28-37.png

In game settings for the Porsche GT1 are:
    upload_2021-1-8_22-29-59.png

I mostly focused on controlling oscillations, but so far this feels very nice for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Per car FFB setting is now the way to go without needing to change the main in game gain setting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

Thanks for sharing this, Torstein, it's quite interesting as perspective coming from the sc2.
    In general, I would probably go for a slightly higher Lfb for more sharp feeling of the front tyres.

The new version we're posting later today will have an extreme improvement in many ways, might be the biggest jump across all cars between any earlier versions. Some of the improvements are how relaxed the steering wheel is and a new damping algorithm that is blending in with the relaxation damping.

So it will allow higher Lfb values, if that's holding you back on that setting currently.
    Also it will allow you to disable the fanatec speed dependent damping again.

Will post it as soon as @Panos Schoino has given the final thumbs up after some last minute changes were put in.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Hi Kartsen, hope you are well in these still crazy COVID days in Europe.

Been away from my rig in the last few weeks and just updated AMS2 last night, trying your latest Custom file with my TS PC racer wheel today and I am getting really massive oscillations in straight lines (afraid I would break my Playseat wheel deck if I continue playing lol)

Should I work on the in Game damping (its at default right now) or do you see a particular variable in your file I should focus on to fix this because that's just unplayable.
    I am using the Mid Level variant at the moment

thanks so much

stay safe

17. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Read back a few pages.

18. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

that's very helpful comment:rolleyes:

19. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

My apologies.

Read back one page.

20. Karsten Hvidberg

Something wonderful is happening :)

(@Nolive721 Good to see you back! Hold your horses for the new version, being posted now)
    (@Jetglo & @torsteinvh The new version should fix your oscillation issues)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2