1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. GTR886

GTR886 New Member

Test with mclaren 720 in silverstone

v42 is a bit more pronounced but both version have that grainy feeling. but I could be wrong and this is a fanatec thing. It almost feels like the tires picked up sand after you are out of track and it should take a bit to lose the sand but it just never went away. it's constant micro vibration making it feels grainy in the straight. I know this is not the uneven surface of the road but it's a texture feeling on surface. with fantec wheels, we just turn down their FEI setting from 100 to 80-90% to eliminate this feeling in PC2. With this custom FFB file, I can't seem to remove this grainy effect regardless what FEI setting I use or even turning the FX to 0%.

I also did some testing with the NuScorpii V2.5 file, when in the straight, the bumpy ffb feel of the road is present but this grainy feel is not present. It only produce this grainy feeling when cornering, which is fine and it's giving you feedback with the grip. So I guess the v41 and v42 are giving too much road surface effect making it feel grainy even in the straight? other DD1/DD2 owners, please chime in.

Here is the NuScorpii v2.5 customer FFB file I used for this test.

Edit: I also tested the recommended DD1/DD2 Preferred by @torsteinvh v381 (kerb trim applied) and this grainy texture feeling is not present. So it must be the updated details of the road surface.

Edit 2: I went back to v42 and edit the following and it seems like the grainy feels in the straight is gone.
    (texture_scale 0.50)
    (micro_bumps_scale 0.50)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks,
    it would be valuable for me to know if the micro_bumps_scale change is required here or not to make the grainy feel go away.
    I would assume that it's not & that you could use the value as it was in v42 as posted of 1.0?

3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I feel what is a bit of a constant buzz which sound the same scenarios as the grainy feels.
    I tied scrub 0.0
    Engine 0.0
    micro bumps 0.0
    No change in buzz.
    its something that I guess I have gotten used to .

4. Karsten Hvidberg

in v42, does setting "texture_scale" to 0.0 not help either?

5. Kuku Maddog

Sorry didn’t get that far as struggling to keep eyes open. tried suspension scale and flat spots at 0.0 too and no change.
    im sure this was something felt pre texture scales in file.

6. Kuku Maddog

It actually feels like a very subtle dampened reiza rack effect that I get in default, but in default it’s very prominent, which is what puts me off default.

7. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, but it might be caused by both micro bumps & texture, each on their own.
    So it's important to know if it is happening when:
    1) texture_scale is 0.0 and micro_bumps_scale is 0.0.
    2) texture_scale is 0.0 and micro_bumps_scale is 1.0.

We know that it happens in the last 2 cases:
    3) texture_scale is 1.0 and micro_bumps_scale is 0.0.
    4) texture_scale is 1.0 and micro_bumps_scale is 1.0.

8. polo199

polo199 Member AMS2 Club Member

I second that input. Specially getting a very bland FFB and one-weight feeling when taking a corner which is a major step back to me when compared to AMS1.

@Kuku Maddog,

Could you re-post your T300 settings (I also have a T300), in-game settings and a car-track combo to get a good feel of what AMS2 can do as far as FFB is concerned?
    I'm really struggling to get to a satisfactory result trying on my own with custom files etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

9. Karsten Hvidberg

This I think is highly subjective, as it all is.
    But it sounds to me like you want more feel of balance?
    In that case it's why the balance values are there:
    1) Set the 2 balance values to something higher, maybe double them fir a start to get a sense for how much you need.
    2) Additionally you can try setting both the static force reductions to 0.0.

10. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree that for me feeling of weight transfer from the FFB is lacking, both in Default and many of these custom files. To me this is very evident in the Porsche Cup - this car exhibits strong back-to-front weight transfer under braking and front-to-back weight transfer under acceleration. Proper management of this weight transfer is crucial because otherwise you understeer on corner exit or spin out on corner entry, especially when there are elevation changes.

Compared to something like the Boxer Cup in AMS1 or the Porsche Cup in R3E, I cannot feel the weight transfer properly in AMS2 and this makes it very hard to drive this car fast. Now I don't know if this is because in AMS2 the forces are taken from the steering rack vs. AMS1/R3E where the forces seem to come from the tyres themselves. Or maybe it's a simple adjustment to the files, I don't know. But this is the main issue for me still limits my enjoyment of AMS2 FFB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

If your time allows, can you try adjusting the 2 balance values upwards, maybe double them and post if it helps you?

12. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mr. Peter try 50 GAIN or low down ... maybe this free margin to increase LFB ;)

You use version LOW or MED??

13. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Stakanov
    I selected the MED version. I'm not using any Tightening. I will try Gain at 50 today.

If I wanted to use Scoop Knee, Scoop Reduction, Deadzone Removal, and Deadzone falloff, where in the file would be the proper placement? At the end ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    I hope I'm not putting mud in the water here...but...

Since a few days ago ,definitely after the hot fix update, I can't get that reduction of steering resistance on rear grip loss. I posted how happy I was with .38 and this particular effect.
    I was trying .41 ,and later and didn't feel it there. So I go back to 38, and no matter what I do I can't get that rear grip loss back. Even the the effect of brake lock up/less wheel resistance is difficult to feel.
    I may have cleared my documents ams2 folder just before, but I'm not sure.
    I've tried increasing/decreasing the exxagerate oversteer value in the file but no luck. Tried it with the merc gt1 at Spielberg again and again. Tried a bunch of variations of in game ffb settings.
    I wondered if maybe there was a server side update or something..but it seems no one else is reporting this issue.
    Any hints on what I can do? Did I just dream or imagine that less steering resistance on rear grip loss?
    Help:)

15. Kuku Maddog

my philosophy has always been lighter is better for information.
    I always have Gain lower than LFB . Sometimes by half depending on strength of master rack.

I set the gain to a level where the pulling forces don’t overcome a soft grip, then I fill up the centre weight with Lfb.
    All going well I have a starting weight similar to my daily driver.
    It makes it easier to pick up the small variations.
    Too much Gain strength saturation and I don’t feel the fine details as it’s just putting my concentration into man handling the wheel around corners.

so currently I’m at about
    Gain 25-30
    LFB 50-60.
    Fx to suit personal preference. 25-50
    Damper 50, though I don’t notice much change at 0

if I was to increase gain I would then incrementally reduce LFB . In some ways my formula often has a combined ratio of gain and Lfb 80-90 of 100% using the theory that 50-50 would be 100% wheel forces, and over that would be amplified.
    It’s my theory anyway :)

16. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Stakanov
    So, I was getting sand bagged by using an Open Wheel car for testing and tweaking. So, after I finally got a decent feel on the open wheel (Gen3-M1), then I went over to the M6 and the 911 GT3 R, and found a better balance once again with .42 file.
    I ended up with 54-64-54-2 on the tin tops, and 50-45-45-2 on the open wheel.
    I don't get any oscillations on the tin tops, so I suspect that the wheel/suspension bounce on the open wheel cars is influencing the whole feel of the FFB. I'll have to check the F309 and se if that also is effected or not. If I remember, the F309 did not have any bounce.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Reg the theory it is not quite correct,
    The "gain" on its own dictates the maximum possible output. It scales the final results.
    "lfb" modifies the curves before the gain is used to scale the signal, so it does not boost anything above the "gain" setting.
    "lfb" adds more power to the low end, and thus there will be more nuance in the low and less nuance in the high end.
    (For people not in the know, the LFB of the Silver files is different than from Default and other custom files. It is symmetrical in the way it boosts the force and provides additional adjustment possibilities because of this.)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Kuku Maddog

Only had time to test texture at 0.0 and also 2.0 as a confirmation.
    0.0 does slightly reduce it. But then it all kinda lacks feel for the road.
    2.0 really ramps up the bumps and kerbs and overall stiffness and road rumbling.

19. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Ah, this stuff is complicated...

I'm currently doing the GT3 Championship, and Kyalami felt way harsher than Spa... More violent kerbs, and I had to turn down gain by 5 to have them feel about the same as Spa. Tried Spa again immediately after Kyalami, and had to turn gain back up.

So either the tracks vary by quite a bit, or there is a difference between race FFB (Kyalami) and TimeTrial (Spa).

20. Karsten Hvidberg

I'm sure there are differences in the tracks themselves, unf.
    On PC2 it's much worse, fwiw.