1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. JayW

JayW New Member

Hi @NuScorpii Unsure whether it's important, but the Kerb enhancement segment in the recent custom files being shared by yourself and @Karsten Hvidberg (from Kerb Your Enthusiasm onwards) have an imbalance between right & left for the F[L|R]_bump_sharpness values. Perhaps these should be aligned?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

With regards to the single file or multi-file system.

IMO single file works best because you guys are constantly (yay!) tweaking it. I'd rather you spend what time you have to devote to this to improvements and not copy-pasting. (Or running a personalized FFB hotline.)

There might never be a solution that would enable a casual to come in here and get up to speed quickly. It literally took me hours of reading re-reading and re-reading again to understand or feel comfortable changing a value here or there. That being said, not everyone is going to do that so just do your best to explain how to identify the values, what they do and wish people luck.

If you really want my two cents...
    Keep doing what you are doing, posting files and explaining the changes. Perhaaaps, you could also create a Word doc that: 1. Explains how to change from default to custom 2. a reference list that explains some of the values, what they do and how to change them in the file itself to suit personal preferences. (See below) Every time you update the FFB file, copy and paste that language into the body of the message and shazaam.

That way you don't have to answer the same questions over and over and if people do express interest in changing a scrub or kerb or road detail, they can find the value on the list and know specific value to change in the file.

For Example:

Update:

* Fix engine enhancement bug that made it never be active.
    A comment: The engine enhancement actually makes the engine quiet when going faster where the default keeps engine on. So it's an advantage for any wheel to have this enhancement enabled.
    * Fix road details bug that made it noisier than it should have been.

This should help the ones having experienced noise lately.
    3. Cut the file and Paste it into My Documents/ Automobilista 2
    4. Make sure to overwrite any existing FFB file (ffb_custom_settings.txt.)
    5. In game, change FFB from Default to Custom

Scrub: Enhances the FFB effects of tires scrubbing while cornering, accelerating or decelerating
    (scrub_scale_front 1.7)
    (scrub_scale_rear 1.2)

Kerbs: Enhances the FFB effects of running over kerbs
    (kerb_scale 0.3)

etc etc etc

• Like Like x 7
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Good idea,

I happen to agree one file makes life simpler(for ourselves). But we'll see, jury's still out.

Made some changes so the file is now based on default values at the top instead & then no wheel type is selected by default.
    Then only if you set a wheel type will it override those specific values as set up for it. I think it's a good compromise.
    Will be included next update, no need for one right now.

4. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Right you are! There are a few errors looking at it now, must have messed up on a merge along the way. I have a new feature to publish so will fix the issues here too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

the amount of work these guys have put in , for free, is sort of insane. you deserve a season pass or something for sorting everyone out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. NuScorpii

New update - "Spin Spin Sugar" Removed - See here for latest update

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm really struggling with the new files since the last beta update with the T300, and I'm actually finding it difficult to explain the differences. The overall FFB feels quite different from Kerb Your Enthusiasm, which is still fantastic when used with this beta release.

For starters, both Unfortunate Circumstances and Spin Spin Sugar don't have the unnatural tightening when cornering that Control is Power did, which is really good. With these newer files though, I can barely keep the high powered GT cars like the Stock Car & Super V8 on the road. This is primarily down to the lack of feeling in regards to the tires gripping the pavement, which is where the Kerb Your Enthusiasm excels. This is especially noticeable when attempting to exit slow to medium corners on the limit while walking the throttle up in these cars, where you can easily spin the rears while doing this. I'm spinning the car out from under me with very little information being given in the feedback. Another thing I'm noticing is that I'm hearing the car sliding when turning into slow/medium corners too quickly, but what I'm feeling doesn't match up.

The scrub effect also does not seem to be registering correctly either. Even with the scrub boost is on, the effect can just barely be felt when braking on the grip threshold. Even when tweaking the scrub scales up, the scrub effect just doesn't feel like it did before. Instead of having the skittering feel of rubber on asphalt, it sort of feels like a fast humming engine vibration is being used for the scrub effect. The telemetry output for the scrub effect actually looks close to a thick solid line, like it needs to have smoothing applied.

Turning off the center boost effect does help quite a bit the dull weight feeling of the wheel, but the wheel just doesn't feel as dynamic and natural like it did before. With Kerb Your Enthusiasm, I can literally feel everything the car is doing at all times thru the corner and that gives me a level of control that goes above and beyond any sim I've played (which is most all of them).

Sorry for such a long post, but any ideas on what might need to be tweaked to get a similar feel to Kerb Your Enthusiasm would be greatly appreciated.

8. NuScorpii

Can't right now, but will take a look tomorrow and see what the differences are.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Great suggestions. Turns out all the curbs at Donington appear to be the identical profile.

When I tested now, purposely riding every curb possible, I only got the expected feedback:
    • Can feel every curb appropriate to its modest sawtooth design
    • When careening through Old Hairpin with the car leaning away from the curb, you can barely detect it
    • When you lean onto a curb, you can feel it more than when you drive over/along it flat
    I assume you are, of course, testing this without the curb effect activated in the custom file.

If your normal Default FFB settings are not correctly reproducing the curbs, I would recommend you try tweaking because every curb at every track feels as it should. You may know how picky I am about these sorts of details having reported early issues where there were some--as soon as I drive over anything that does not register as appropriate for the environment, it goes into the Beta Track report.

Another thing I have been impressed with is the green rubber track edging at Kansai/Suzuka. Does it actually feel like rubber when you drive over it as opposed to curbing or pavement? It does for me and it is a very impressive immersive event to feel the squishiness of it and experience how the car responds just as it should when you go off course and traverse it (hopefully not at a perpendicular angle!).

The curbs and associated stuff is incredibly well done in AMS 2. Grass and gravel traps still require some work.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Already have (with default profile), and nothing I did brought the curbs up to the level I want (ie, being able to feel them at all), while also affecting other things I wanted left alone. As is being increasingly shown, AMS 2 FFB's effects seem very dependent on the wheel being used. So what works for you doesn't necessarily work for the next guy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I am well aware of that, but I was replying to someone with a very expensive, high-end wheel that should be vastly superior to mine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Cool, thanks man!

13. NuScorpii

Yes, of course. As you are one of the few that can feel a difference when changing the scrubbing values in the default custom ffb file I am wondering if the effects you feel are due to how Reiza have setup the ffb internally for your specific hardware.

Anyway, this is not specifically custom ffb so maybe continue in the other ffb thread?

14. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Sorry. It's a public thread so I assumed we were all allowed to respond with our own feedback.

15. Timothy Dalton

Timothy Dalton New Member

Anyone know of a way to feed the rear scrub to a base shaker setup? I have a shakeit kit seat pad and ideally i would have the rear scrub on the seat and the front on my wheel.

Do we have a solution for that out there right now?

Also is there any known fix for the FFB bugging out and forcing the wheel hard right? It seems to go away when i switch to default ffb away from custom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. blanes

blanes Member

Really like what you guys have done. I have been trying every iteration on my Accuforce V1 wheel. I like to feel lots of road and engine effects so have been increasing that. Some of the files seemed to introduce a strong centre "rubber band" type force which personally to me kills the subtle effects. I like to feel the steering loading up during corners and that force seems to dull that somewhat.

I know impossible to find a balance that suits every wheel and every preference but these custom files are great to achieve great FFB. Thanks again !

• Like Like x 2
  17. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Having the same Hard right issue too , have been wondering if it's connected with the custom files or maybe even when the custom file is selected ie in pits / on track or in main menu . Going to do a bit of testing later today and see if I can narrow it down .

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, reported this also earlier in the 0.9.5.1 Beta thread. Just got it also a while ago, in MP. I use the latest Custom, and got it when exiting the pits during Quali, (i.e. full-strength right pull). Then switched to Default for the Race, but then there was a 'mid-strength' right pull, just had to tackle it the whole race :D Annoying!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NuScorpii

This has been acknowledged as a bug by Reiza and is not related to the custom ffb. It happens to people using default too.

AMS 2 FFB Discussion

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

^^ Can confirm, it's something that has happened to me since very first early access only ever using default FFB with deletion of whole game between versions. Tending to happen a lot with the superkart, but others too of course.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020