1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

Karsten

Firstly many thanks for the work you have done

This is so frustrating trying to describe a feel, a nuance, a what........??

So tried 45 adjusting gain up and lfb down , this just made the wheel way too heavy even with a 5 point gain increase and the feedback when cornering was sometimes like driving on a completely flat surface, with no imperfections. Bit like clipping but it wasn't. Feedback about tyres slipping, losing grip isn't really noticeable.

Adjusting the two file settings helped but not that significantly for me to go yes that's it. The wheel felt better in your hands whereas without its a bit bland

so back to 31, setting off from line it is noticeable straight away that you are using 31 the wheel just conveys a connected feel to you and cornering allows you to feel more (only slightly) than 45 but i found myself modulating throttle due to this feedback whereas i didn't do this with 45 it was more by track knowledge.

As an aside, I have also been testing this file Fanatec DD2 Settings - Share yours based on v2.5 which is near to 31 but just a little overpowering in corner feel

Not sure this helps or hinders your quest

2. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Panos Schoino and @Karsten Hvidberg , I'm really looking forward to trying ver .45; thank you so much for your work on it! Couple quick questions: Are you leaving your Simucube True Drive settings the same throughout these versions? Also, is there anything you'd suggest changing as far as in-game settings go with the latest file. For instance, if I prefered Gain=40, LFB=5, and Dampening=0 in previous files, would those still apply with ver .45, or is there some offset due to the changes that should be applied to in-game settings? Thanks again for your work!

3. Gillish

Gillish Member

Tried this, the steering feels ok, but as others have also said, the experience is still quite muted to me. That includes a lack of 'life' felt through the wheel (which is there using default) based on load on the front wheels (on crests/dips, bumps, curbs).

Of course a lot of this is subjective, and I will say that I prefer a bit more meaty, lively and informative FFB. Ideally purely physics based (so rack-only), but since we lack any g-forces in sims you may want to have some additional effects to help detect things like oversteer. (although just the rotation of the car alone would also be felt through the rack eventually, but maybe that's a bit late...?)

I guess for now I'll just stick to Default, which I quite like at the moment, especially with a little more LFB than I was using before.

4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yes, you should expect to make changes to gain, lfb & damping(lowering it).
    I am trying to tie the knows between v31 & v45 now, I do see what the lure of that one is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

it's in my video description

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Is there a chance you started the session in "Default" & then switched to "Custom".
    These files need to start in "Custom" from session start.
    In that case you just do the "restart session" & it should be good. Just a random thought.

The wheel should not become as heavy as you describe here when you change the lfb down & gain up.

I really think something went wrong in your testing :)

7. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

-----
    Thanks this did the trick!!
    This keeps the wheel from being yanked out of my slide corrections
    Karsten: I tried adjusting the over_steer_scale and the result was very unnatural feeling, front load
    adjustment fixed it
    Cheers

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, a bug has been found that makes cornering go lighter on use of higher lfb settings.
    Will be fixed. Could be the cause for the issue some people are experiencing.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Chip, TD settings: 100% Strength, all filters off or 0%. In game: Gain 30-45, lfb 0-10, FX 50 (i have 55) and damping 0-20. I give you the ranges because they differ between car. For example for the caterham 620R i use gain 35, lfb 5, damping 15, fx 55

10. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Try something else, decrease also the yaw scale by 20%

11. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same wheel as you. I have an old Silver Raw file that I have tweaked very slightly. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not an expert and I haven't tried any of Karsten's more recent files (sorry :)).

In game:
    60/30/55/10

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. psone

psone Guest

• Like Like x 2
  13. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just tried the .31 file you guys are talking about. Have to admit, I really like it. Seems to have almost everything, but not over the top. The only thing that is lacking a little for me, is the loss of FFB over a crest etc. Doesn't really go light for me. I actually turned (kerbs_surface_scale ) down to 1.1 whereas that is one setting I usually raise. Thanks.

14. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

talk about a life saver. thanks.

__

so this is my thought process, and i reveal things as I go even to myself - so this is my ad-libing and also abstracting - this is not how I think, just explain lol

only saved version 30 locally in that range.

i too would like to add the wow-yes factor with version 31 and 30 for that matter. i know there's been some updates since and tbh the high end 45 last night (come on brain hope i remember!) or 41, but think 45 on a tx wheel was great (high end file;the range of its feedback was improved but yes today I noticed the turning was muted, and yet yesterday I felt everything was great...yesterday drove hockenheim modern and imola with open wheelers [reizas gen's/models, 1-3] today its been brands hatch with gt3). i dont know what I did but I made it worse or used certain cars, but it was a step up 45 technically and i determined that and the difference with 100 gain. which is probably wrong but i turned down many cars specifically.

so I just know the two can be merged. because I remember a nice vibration at revs etc back then, or maybe the game changed it.

the file used was 41 now i remember from t500 on first page (mine is tx tho).

i rate 41 above 31 mostly but its missing that 5% little things when I tried it - so maybe i will tweak it. around this time in the sim world i changed race room lateral to being a bit more forward and it surpassed ams2...but if ams2 continues on this the ffb from around 41 and its range, scale, weight, minus the vibrations maybe (but I need to tune it).. will surpass rr again.

fyi - i believe in 41/45 so much that I am going to operate with it in the main. maybe the lateral movement is off (after an additional patch? don't know..) but its more full so I guess I should tinker. I did not note any lacking with driving many different car types. i am trying 45 on a tx now and will try 31 and 30 too. but at this point I am just going off stuff I have done to confirm the 'missing' nature of it.

with ver 45 high end on tx wheel (so basically 300/500 as well) felt good, vibrations there [was driving the bmw gt3 m6], turning was light as needed (used to be heavy last night)

gain is 60, others are 50. center feel was fine to me and if i adjust to 65 gain I do lose that niceness. so will check other sliders; otherwise very good at brands. i feel as though the ffb, like here, should let you go all over the track without breaking your arm - this is how cars are afterall. well done. where i feel some people don't want is that on the telemtry screen this 45 version with those settings is NOT pushing the graph to crazy levels and red does not come on in the graph - which as i understand is a good thing. so maybe thats it. but to me its fine. i will try other tracks soon. and other cars.

so version 45 high end/tx wheel as such, to me = done well, cooked nice, not overblown. i will not forget however how it was last night - it made my wheel seem even more high end lol, the dynamic range was out of this world with 100 gain, but it was hard to turn and center feel was strong for an arm work out - maybe it was this version 45 don't know - but this setup still lets me judge turns and all that well.

so with 100 gain, its back to - holy hell- wow! the graph does not clip. hrm. the 3rd collum in graph the pale blue one is up now before it was not - red not on, which is cool. oh and this is racing with gen 3 model 1 f-reiza at brands (v10 selection though not the other one with 3 vehicles in it) love this thing

next - I see no reason to go back to 31 full time now I have confirmed it but will check - I can drive this thing wildly at brands (i got good at brands recently usually I suck hard) and the tyres and all that and the in-between slide and move and grip is all represented well, down the hill you feel the forward push....

i think maybe people got used to some things being overblown but this is good. now back to the BMW m6 because I felt that was too heavy earlier but now I am not so sure (because I think now I should tweak rather than abandon this 45 ver)

- I always felt like driving the m6 around was like driving a brick - but with lowering the gain specific setting to 60 it solved the heavy wheel problem, the graph for this car is again near the top even with 60 gain. So there would surely not be too much wrong with this ver 45. And I mean thats allowing enough room for coming off track and wild driving, there is no clipping and the graph is within bounds. all other settings at 50.

just thinking i am pretty sure if people are not fully exiting when they change things it can not reset the rack, at least in my case. thus I always only change gain in-game and everything else I exit to the main menu to refresh

__
    now the method and process is done and tips are out the way

then I just want to remind people this one thing "version 45 as stated with the setup - I am absolutely f-ing amazed! thanks for all your hard work - i am doing a lot of open wheeler driving lately, F-Reiza, 10's 12's 8's, and I turn down the gain ONLY (promise) when driving gt3s..thus retaining wheel feel. There's a meaty but not over blown slip affect coming down the hill at bathurst, for example, and vibrations upon acceleration without numbing your hand over the course of a race. And it scales well with sedate and wild driving. I am not getting that whole speed-sense-ruining feeling with this like some are, and actually I was a little bit yesterday/this morning with another version, possibly 41 or even 30. And whether its lateral movement or slippage or forward slip and grip you can feel it build up from the bottom of the wheel to the top, which is something I always liked in Rf2 or RR and if you throw the car about to a stop you get that compressed-squash ball deforming feeling which is rather nice as if you bent a rubber cube and then it sprung back into shape. On this wheel for this setting the ffb acompany's you rather than takes over or demands to be noticed and I think thats ideal as it helps you drive rather than be the reason you drive. So with this I can react better to movements from the rear end and be more intricate in planning to deal with them; its not just a slide, you can resolve 'parts' of the slide and then save it with different degrees of inputs... Its got to be an A+."

its that whole bitchuman / tarmac thing of if you've been on a motorbike and you hit one spot at a certain angle and you KNOW that grip level was not cool..and then you hit it from another angle next time, thats the sense I can now feel with ver 45 very pronounced. or you are going over the white line and its slippery, then you go back to the grip. its dynamic and constantly adjusting, so this is a great result.
    __
    thank you, Sirs!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

I still use the king version (.36) tried 37 and 38 as well but have turned back instantly. IMO Later improvements has gone more individual.(not enough user feedback before those versions to make them available for everyone else).
    Besides 36 was the most endeavored one by a few more people who I believe are good at that area. I could be wrong, but I want to be loyal with that effort especially while I loved that ffb the most
    But always appreciate the karsten’s continuing effort and support despite Reiza’s not endorsing attitude.

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey ToMythTo,

It's good to see the variance between what people like, wheel bases and personal opinions here, thank you!
    Now with all the feedback on v45, v46 is on the steps with many changes (but need my late evening time to do it). Hopefully again closer to the target :)
    After this prob. will then try to find the best parts of a cpl select older version, based on the feedback from everybody here and hopefully be able to bring them over.

Oh, Reiza guys came around and they have been and are def. busy. They are now helping me as they can by answering questions and so on & we will see where that ends. It's the communication from them that has made some of the steps possible to v45, that made that version better than others in some very specific ways too. So we are very good with Reiza :) (read back a few pages to see).

Thanks again!

Best, -K

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Always look forward to trying your releases, Karsten.

As a G29, low-end file user, like a few others, I found .45 a bit colourless. I decided to try default for the first time in a while and whilst there are elements in it I dislike, it does have a better feel under braking, particularly when the brakes lock up.

btw, did you say previously that your files alter the physics in any way?

18. Karsten Hvidberg

I think v46 is moving in your direction, actually everybody's :). Reg. braking, on my wheel base that is not the case, but v46 should make it work better across wheel bases again, as well as being an overall step up the ladder.

Reg. the physics it's not as straight an answer as you'd think :)
    It does not directly alter any physics, as those calculations all sit inside the game engine. But those physics are reactions to what happens in-game and the angle the steering wheel is moved to. The the ffb signal coming out to your wheel base move your wheel base & so that affects the physics directly. It's a ping-pong-loop between:

* physics.
    * ffb signal.
    * user input throught the steering wheel.
    * wheel base strength/speed/rim weight.

They each contribute to make up the perceived physics and changes how the physics react.

I hope this helps?

Forgive me if you knew this and did just want the straight answer, which is that technically there is no way for the custom file to make any direct changes to the physics calculation in the engine that I know of yet. But maybe I will learn there is or it might change at any time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It’s great that Reiza have let you behind the velvet rope!

Reiza: It would be so cool if eventually the game UI would let us choose from a few preset ‘flavours’ based on Karsten’s files, or maybe an interface like NuScorpii’s madness tool where we have sliders for road noise, scrub, kerbs etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

File *.45 ... I give up ... unfortunately I can't find a way to make my Logitech G920 steering wheel consistent and coherent ... among other things, I think there is something that also erroneously affects the physics: o_O
    - a first problem is represented by a very vague and wobbly center at low speeds that fills up as speed increases (ok are the new settings, but at low speeds there seems to be gaps/flat and it is inconsistent) ...
    - but the biggest problem is that, even in the most stable cars (GT3, etc.), on downhill stretches and before a curve, during braking and downshifting, the car closes the front inward curve with consequent oversteer ... even changing the parameters in the file does not help to solve the defect (it's a GT3 not a Catheran with H-Shifter!!!)..
    EDIT: Maybe the understeer problem is due to the latest Reiza update and not to the *.45 file ... I'm trying everything ... I'll just keep you updated and if I find the solution :(

Having said that, I am waiting for the next version *.46 and going back to the *.43 or *.44 files, but reading them, I see many users posting the version of the ffb * .31, file which unfortunately I have not kept!!!
    Could anyone share the * .31??
    I would like to compare it again to the latest versions ... ;)