1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

haha thats true ... but I hope what we learn from these adjustments will also be applicable with next possible updates. Cant compare to other wheels but DD1 doesnt need a lot of FX so im hoping LFB wont interfere much. If it does I might play around with custom files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

That's the thing with this FFB. There seem to be so many different slider combinations which feel reasonably good, yet they're not obvious or self-explanatory. What would be really great is if we could get a proper, definitive word from Reiza on exactly which forces are tied to which sliders, so that we can at least have a more informed view during our experiments.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

Totally agree with you both there. I've just gone back to the default LFB: 50 and FX: 50 and it's feels way better in a straight line. I think whilst perhaps adjusting it to make another aspect feel better, it has a knock on effect elsewhere and so the cycle of never ending tweaking begins. So from now on I'm sticking with default and only adjusting Gain to remove any clipping. At least until per-car adjustments can be made or any other significant addition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

right ... so I spent some time on this again and am now at LFB 33 + FX 28 , i feel like low FX loses some details.

BUT , i have changed the engine scale in the custom file to about 20% of what it was, now its just a very faint tingling to remind me the engine is running :) with high FX there was otherwise too much noise, this now feels awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've now gotten several more hours with the New Default settings running Time Trials - making an intentional choice to not adjust FFB settings much in the process. With the T300, a LFB of 35 seems to be the 'sweet spot' for balancing road texture feel in straight lines and corners in my opinion.

Something I am noticing is that if the Gain is turned up high enough that counter-steering starts becoming difficult (85+), the overall FFB and scaling seems to be just about perfect. Road textures perfectly align with visual cues, which is especially noticeable on long bumpy straights (Taruma). Tire scrub effects and braking thresholds are significantly more pronounced giving much more control and connection with the car.

If I reduce the Gain setting even just by 10 clicks to reduce wheel weight, much of the FFB detail is reduced as well. Using the Sprint Car (which I love!) for example, once I get the wheel weight where I would prefer, straight line road texture is quite faint and there's a signifiant reduction in tire scrub effects and the most noticeable is the overall loss of FFB output during threshold braking - it's not fun to blow corners in TT because you couldn't feel what the car is doing.

Is there a way to adjust the wheel weight in the Custom profile without messing with the other scale factors? If I could get a lighter wheel weight with the same forces I'm getting with a high Gain setting, I'd probably just sleep in my sim rig!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You didn't say what your FX level is...but is is essential to counter-balance exactly the issue you describe above. I would start by increasing it in steps of 10 and I bet you will solve the issue at some point. FX adds back in the tire scrub effects that are lost by your other balancing act between LFB and Gain. You can't get good FFB across all cars simultaneously without balancing all three sliders--at least not on a lowly non-DD wheel that has no fancy control panel behind the scenes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Actually with the roughly 68/35/28 sliders I dont even need to make profiles for each car, havent tested 100% of them yet but everything feels really good so far, or at least given the suspensions used. The only thing that still seems odd as I mentioned is the light modern Formula steering when oing straight and then super heavy in fast turns. But maybe its supposed to be like that I wouldnt know :)

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

If you add FX the difference should reduce. There should be a difference, but if it feels like it is too much, try extra FX. If you put FX too high, other problems may emerge.

9. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

its a bit better now after the last adjustments. If I add even more FX i start to get a bit of ffb noise that is there only with the wheel straight but the slightest turn of the rim makes it go away which feels really weird.

10. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My FX is at 50 (should have put that in the previous post!) and thanks for the advice man! I did give this a try by setting my FFB where it feels nearly perfect but with too much wheel weight. Without altering the LFB at 35, I reduced my Gain to where it wasn't too heavy and then made adjustments to the FX to try to see if that would make the road textures/tire scrub effects more pronounced. It does have an effect for sure, but increasing the FX doesn't seem to just bring out the road textures/tire scrub, but other effects that I can't really figure out. I actually found myself feeling like I was driving a floating car at one point I felt so disconnected from the car. I locked my FX back at 50 and haven't touched it since after that.

11. CycloZeb

CycloZeb Member AMS2 Club Member

for me with a ts-pc racer I set 60/10/30 and it's perfect
    I modify the gain for the different cars between 50 and 70

12. R1jerome

R1jerome New Member

Hello there ;)

Just subscribed to this forum for speak and share with you all about ams 2 ffb. i am french and hope my written english will be understandable enough :rolleyes:

Since first day of EA realease, i daily enjoy ams 2 on my set up (3 screens 1440p, Thrustmatser T-GT wheel). Huge fan of pcars 2 ( about 700 hours), i've found in ams2 the best of pcars 2 (visual immersion) and the best of race drive game. I enjoy since day one the FFb called actually "old default" (so far ahead pcars 2 ffb !!) but i am very disappointed by the new default, i don't like the feeling, and never find what I like in the other.

I play with cursors without satisfaction. So Reiza, it's not possible to consider to kept this old default ffb in V1.0 of the game ? Or to offer several profiles as we have in pcars 2 (immersive, informative, raw, custom) including the actual "old default" ?

It would be a good way for me and maybe for others ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Arcadium

Arcadium New Member

Hi R1jerome, welcome and unfortunately I share your experience regarding the new ffb profile and I would love that the keep the old profile in there. However, I think the developers have been pretty clear about phasing out the old profile and all the new additions are only being applied tot he new profile.

Also I have the feeling that for the majority of users running wheels other than T300/T-GT wheels are actually really happy about the new profile. So it's only a select few that probably will not be reason enough to keep a legacy ffb profile in there.

So I'm afraid that the choice now is to keep using the old default for as long as it's available, or switch now to the new default, get used to it and benefit from the improvements that will be added along the way.

I found that removing the engine noise from the FX slider helps a lot for the new profile. There should be a link few pages back to a file/mod that you can use in a custom profile.

Currently running on my T300 with the new profile:
    Gain 80
    LFB 35
    FX 50

But still needs some tweaking.

• Like Like x 2
  14. R1jerome

R1jerome New Member

With "old defaut", i use 65 GAIN/ 50 LFB/ 10 FX (T-GT wheel has same motor as TS-PC wheel)

15. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just upgraded my 10 year old Fanatec CSR to a shiny new CSL Elite (PS4).

Wow what a difference! Previously I was constantly searching for good FFB, and found the old wheel to be dead around the centre, and at times a bit numb (particularly on smoother tracks). I had to really set the gain and LFB high to get decent feedback.

Now I find an incredible amount of FFB. I’m very confident that the game is outputting pretty perfect signals, and it’s a case of tuning to my preference. The forces through the wheel under braking are particularly impressive.

It’s made me realise what a difficult job Reiza have with the massive variety of devices they need to output for.

I have more tuning to do, but if it helps anyone I’m using 60/40/50 in game and all default wheel settings with the exception of FEI which is set at 70. Feels fantastic, maybe just a touch too punchy at times.

Amazing work Reiza Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zoran

Zoran New Member

Hey Ray,

It's very interesting that I am using almost exact same settings for CSL elite as you, and that is after tweaking ffb and testing for 3-4 hours. I do find I need to tweak it a bit for +-10% depending on the car, but that 60/40/50 is pretty much on the spot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, totally agree about 10% tweak per car / track is about right.

Loving this wheel btw :)

18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Then keep the Old Default! All you need is the ffb_custom_settings file from before New Default was added, and then use the Custom FFB option in the game. Simple.

You can find a copy of the Old Default FFB attached.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm on a T300 and find the New Default to be far better. It's all a matter of taste rather than wheel.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Arcadium

Arcadium New Member

You've probably posted it already somewhere but would you be so kind to share your settings so I can try?

And thanks for the tip on the old profile and it's something i'll definitely will consider. However i havent given up yet to find the right settings on the new profile because obviously other people like yourself do seem to enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1