1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

G27 here.
    Today I've tried Kyalami. Great track but the FFB had a step back on my feel.
    I dont feel the car, singleseaters and Stock Car.
    The V8 is pretty good, but not so sensitive.
    Maybe is a setting issue.
    Tried many ways, but i feel the wheel dead at 0 mph ( there's a tweak to get a force with the car stopped?) and under heavy bracking no feelings...

I know it's is in development and hope @1.0 to find a way to feel as good as AMS 1

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

I'm on DD wheel, but while I really like the new track, the P1 Sigma seems very jolty/spikey on that track, while the Gen3 f1's for example are much less so... It's weird. But it was the same with the Super V8 in the beginning and now it's much less so, although still too much.

Looking at replays of the P1 Sigma on the track it seems the wheel should not jolt around, but be very steady. Driving it it jolts...
    Maybe some of the ffb algorithms were developed and tested on belt wheels and the jolts that feel excessive on a DD feels just fine on a belt?
    I would imagine it would feel just fine if these jolts were much less pronounced and Way weaker.

3. R1jerome

R1jerome New Member

With so much changes of ffb feels since few days, it's boring so i've decided to stop playing..waiting for V1.0 release now and hope for more stable things

4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Not sure what DD you use but on my DD1 the spiky jolts actually stopped for me after last update.

5. Gaspedal

Gaspedal New Member AMS2 Club Member

No, I have tested all settings (gain, LFX, FX) a lot of hours, and always with Old Default it's much better and more realisitic for me. How I can backup old default settings? I dont want that this will be removed in future updates.

6. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I feel like there is too much of a difference between wheel-bases, not just because of models but maybe actual game ffb being affected? ... What is your current setting? I can definitely feel tires being loaded under braking. When I turn the wheel slightly, accelerate, it gets lighter, then I brake at the same wheel angle and it gets heavier. It was much more pronounced 2 patches ago but its definitely still there and feels a bit more realistic imo.

7. xkkkx

xkkkx New Member

Guys, you can set what ever you want, if it's broke for you at the moment. It's just one important single slider....lowforceboost, if you find not correct value it's over. Gain is just gain, fx are just fake effects. I don't think that 1 little option can end in perfect result

We need minimum pc2 tone control, or better pc1 options. I prefer that "custom-profile" unlocks pc1 options with in-game control, that would be nice.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Something I posted just now in RaceDepartment that I assume people in this topic will also find relevant:

We have a new development of FFB incoming for next week´s build, it´s again a fairly natural progression to the "New Default" profile introduced a couple of weeks ago. At this point we expect the FFB to be definitive for v1.0, and will update our FFB guide accordingly to these latest changes.

There is however value to the notion people shouldn´t get too far in their pursuit of some elusive optimal FFB, certainly not from the get-go before you at least try for a bit to work with it as it is. One of the reasons why we tend not to offer too many FFB customization options (in AMS1 and 2) is precisely because that almost seems to be perceived a an invitation to change things that don´t necessarily need to be fundamentally changed This doesn´t quite apply at this stage of course as we ourselves are changing and developing the system regularly, but we are seeing comments about how much FFB has changed even when very little fundamentally changed (as in v0.8.7) or nothing at all (in v0.9.1, except for minor car tweaks) - this could suggest some loss of configuration somehow in certain controllers (which is possible, even though we do test a range of different controllers and haven´t come accross the issue), but also that some may be going too far down the rabbit hole in some esoteric search of the "right" FFB, messing with sensitivity settings and editing values in FFB files, something that is really not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.

If you go so far you don´t even know how to walk your way back to default I´d really suggest deleting your My Docs/Automobilista 2 folder and starting fresh with "New Default" FFB profiles, first trying to adjust Gain so peak forces are reached at maximum loads for any given car, then Low Force Boost if you find forces too limp around the center. Don´t mess with FX or anything else until you´re reasonably satisfied with the first two.

Also important, don´t set your Profile to "CUSTOM" unless you do have a customized FFB setting file in your My Docs/Automobilista 2 which you intend to use - stick to "New Default" if you intend to run the game´s actual & current FFB, else you may find yourself stuck to an old "Custom" file self-generated by the game when you first installed it, and not using the latest modifications done to the the actual default profile (FFB profile not to be confused with your regular FFB sliders on the in-game menu - you dont need profile set to Custom to change those).

Finally, this is also a very valuable recommendation:

It´s actually not all that strange because any changes to the default car setup are auto-saved as your personal default for any time you load that car until you assign some other personal setup for that car / track combo - this auto-saved setup is marked with a "*" to indicated it´s been modified but unsaved from the original default. This is admitedly not a very good thing while the game is in development and physics (along with setup ranges) can change on a weekly basis, and it´s something we´re looking to work out a better solution for.

In the meantime, do try resetting your car setup to the current default to make sure you setup hasn´t been messed up in between builds, or again just start your user profile again by deleting My Docs/Automobilista 2, it´s a bit clumsy but it´s sure way to have your game reset to a complete fresh state (reinstalling the game won´t do it as your configuration folder will remain as it were from the previous install).

• Informative Informative x 22
    • Like Like x 9
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Simucube 2 Pro, should be in my signature.
    I agree jolts are less on some maybe most cars.
    Have you tried P1 Sigma on the new track though?

10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this post shows that you have no idea how the AMS 2 FFB works. :rolleyes:

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Boss Man as always is all over it :) I look forward to this new FFB next week ! Keen AF really :whistle:

12. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Oh right sorry. Yes and I tried the Sigma on new Kaylami just now to make sure I dont remember it wrong. Its one of the smoother rides actually and there is no jolts or ffb spikes at all, I feel the road texture, curbs, downforce, etc. but its nothing violent. Other certain cars/tracks are much bumpier and heavier.

EDIT: this is at 79/30/26 .. increasing lfb and fx gives me uneven ffb at certain situation, especially too much noise in center compared to turning.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You obviously have an auto-rotation problem that needs to be fixed prior to any attempts to optimize the FFB sliders. There are threads dedicated for your wheel you should read if you need help.

14. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried a high gain / high LFB setting? That worked for me on my preious wheel.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I think anyone with a Logi G stuck at 900 degrees and with all the sliders in the wrong place will be getting poor FFB.

16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Is that referencing his weak FFB? If so, the FFB is actually quite weak on G series wheels in general, and I'm not sure it has anything to do with the rotation. It was a bit weak at 100 gain on my T300 too until I bumped it up a bit via the custom profile.

17. Karsten Hvidberg

Thanks Shadak,

I tried upping the Lfb higher than I normally would and that helped.
    It is WEIRD to have to up the Lfb... The jolt force is still in there, just that the Lfb ups the low forces to keep the jolts more in check it seems.

But THANKS 8) This was an improvement to multiple cars!

18. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I think he meant the Kart comment. When calibrated properly the steering should align to each car. But technically that shouldnt mean a bad FFB so not sure now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

That is odd, what LFB do you run at the moment? Does the SC2 have some kind of intensity setting that could be too high? On DD1 if I "overboost" intensity or shock it gets a bit noisier/spikey.

20. xkkkx

xkkkx New Member

And your post shows that you ignoring all the knowledge that the community of project cars has gathered with madness engine over years. But yeah reiza make it work with 1 option....without ffb post process.

I have enough knowledge to compensate with commands in custom profile. But I think it's better if anybody can do this ingame.