1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

Hey Reiza team BIG progress on ffb for my Thrustmaster Tmx i can feel the tarmac :hurrayreiza:
    and significantly improved laptime really good work

Settings in control panel. 100/100/100/100/100
    Settings in Ams2. 100/01/01

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

See, this is definitely not the case for me. When I push too hard and start sliding, I can definitely feel it and more than I could before the patch. But overall I think I feel it less often because, as @SwaggerJacker said, the tyres and physics were updated. It's not just a "pull", it's a distinctive effect that really feels like the tyres are juddering and scraping across the tarmac.

Again, this doesn't match my own experience. I get road noise in corners too, as long as there isn't too much else going on FFB-wise at the same time. I got less road noise before the patch than I do now.

Question: have you completely deleted My Documents\Automobilista 2 and let the game regenerate the folder from scratch? If not, do it. This is a must after any patch that changes FFB or settings to ensure there's no "contamination" from older versions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Deleting all "Automobilista 2" Documents folder put all settings as default, but sadly (or weirdly, annoyingly, nostalgically, etc.) it select also the "Old Default" in FFB menu, so be sure you change that when redoing setting.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yes, I did that, no road noise when turning and no scrubbing on sliding... Damn... Weird...

5. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, did all this too.

6. Karsten Hvidberg

Simucube 2.
    These things only began with this new update 0.9.2.1.

I have checked carefully.
    Maybe I need to try more cars.
    The last one was the P1 Judd.

No doubt these things are happening for me.
    Reg. settings, yes, I have played around with those too and although slightly different between our DD's my settings are very similar.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

With myT500RS I tested different cars (Rocco, F Trainer Avd, Sprinter, Puma and F3) at Imola Historic, Interlagos, Jerez and both Kyalami). I struggle to find commons settings to all this cars. I tested tons of combination between Gain from 70 to 100, LFB from 0 to 50 and FX from 0 to 100...
    For sure I can't feel anymore when I lock my 4 wheels by braking hard, no more feeling of FFB lightning and car sliding.
    Also, I really can't say if I feel scrubbing with FX whatever value I try (from 0 to 100). Above FX 50 I start to feel engine vibrations (barely), and it increase a very little with FX 100, but scrubbing, honestly I'm not sure... I feel some kind of difference using Gain 90, LFB 45, and varying FX from 0 to 100, in curves. But it's more than subtile...or placebo...
    Can another T500RS user (a rare specie) speak about his feeling and give his settings? I'm lost...

Edit : obviously I started from scratch deleting the AMS 2 folder as always

Edit 2 : The bug where my wheel go full right or full left just when appearing in the track still there

8. Karsten Hvidberg

OK, so the road noise I was wrong about. That Wes me having the Lfb set and then the game exaggerates and so at the center it fights between left/right and felt like road noise.

Really LFB should not be applied to the wheel alignment at all, in my opinion. The change made a cpl updates ago to move Lfb to AFTER rack force seems to be the issue to me. That prob. was unintentional to have this bad effect. Hopefully some way exists to not have it be applied to just "everything".

But as it is now it just creates a bad extra noise using LFB at the center, where you always drive...

Still have no scrubbing fx feel. Tried fx slider at all levels.

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Ah, OK, so I am not alone any longer.
    Are the guys reporting scrubbing feel 100% you know which effect I am talking about?
    Since now we are 2 not feeling it on different wheel bases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Is it the understeer sensetion of the tires scrubbing the road? Kind of a sturrery vibration and slight lightness of the wheel? I will run some tests on my DD but if you could try to describe the feeling as much as possible so we all talk about the same thing :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

The scrubbing used to be very easy to feel on slides for example.
    Now there is no effect when sliding.
    It was some added left/right jittering to the wheel when it happened.

You should be able to feel that there is absolutely no effect now when sliding.
    Only the normal wheel direction changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Right now I can full brake in a curve and lock my 4 wheels and can't feel anymore my car sliding and can't feel FFB been lighter. Not sure it's that this "scrubbing" effect, so not sure I speak about the good feeling honestly...

13. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, I think you are talking about the same as me in reg. to the missing sense of the car sliding.
    That effect is just gone.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Karsten Hvidberg

Reg. the LFB.

Anybody on a DD wheel(maybe others too) right now experience weird centering issues when setting the LFB to any value higher than 0.

I think this was introduced a few releases back, when Reiza changed it to be applied to all forces & not only the "feel" forces.

It had 2 bad side effects when upping the LFB to anything but 0, getting progressively worse the higher I set it:
    1) LFB makes the wheelbase pull too hard towards center when low force pulling was really required.
    2) LFB added additional noise at the center, since each side would "overstep" to the other side. Then it would force it back.

This has made me unable to use the LFB on my simucube 2, since it simply just felt weird when using it.
    I only just now understood why why & when this LFB issue is there & luckily it was easy to change it back in the custom ffb file, so it calculates it at the "correct" time again.

SO MUCH BETTER! (for me at least)

I can now change the LFB and it will not pull weirdly to the center any longer so it's much better for me & I suspect others being bothered by this as well.

Attached the file in case somebody other than me finds this useful.
    Unfortunately the other new issue, missing scrubbing effect, is not possible to fix in the custom ffb file 8(

Attached Files:

15. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Yes, the subtle tyre scrubbing effects are not currently included I believe. There are more obvious effects that come through the rack when there is enough tyre chatter for the wheels to bounce a little bit and affect the rack. That is what I think most people who can feel something are observing.

You can check this in the ffb_custom_settings.txt:
    (scrub_scale 0.0)

Pretty obvious it's not going to do anything. But if you want to check out what texture forces are actually being used then change this line:

(rack ( + rack ( * feel fx 0.8)))
    to
    (rack ( * feel fx 0.8))

This will remove all forces except for texture effects (engine rpm & tyre scrub), set engine_scale to 0 as well and all you should be left with is the scrub effects.

To add in the tyre scrub update the scrub_scale to 14.0
    (scrub_scale 14.0)

I've modded the ffb_custom_settings to add some road texture feel too. Very light but adds a bit of noise when the ffb feels a little bland. Values can be changed easily at the top of the file, note the scrub_scale works differently here, 0.7 is equivalent to 14.0:

###########################################################
    #
    # Texture scalers
    # Range 0.0 - 1.0
    #
    (engine_scale 0.3)
    (scrub_scale 0.7)
    (road_scale 0.5)

I've set them to something that's good for my setup so you might need to change.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Karsten Hvidberg

Hi NuScorpii,

I did try to change the scrubbing value in the custom file to see if I could get it back, but no such luck.

Just tried your posted file here too & I don't feel slides still.
    Did you try this on the latest update 0.9.2.1?
    I actually think they added the scrub to internal code already a relase or 2 ago.
    The scrubbing value "scrub_scale" was set to 0.0 back then too, in the custom ffb file.
    But the micro scrub effect was still there. Now no matter what I set scrub_scale to, there is no such effect.

Who knows, maybe it's been done on purpose. It could be it simply did not play well with other changes.

On another note, please notice my post from just prior re. the LFB, maybe you like it 8)

17. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I did some testing, with Ultima as thats what I used to test FFB with the most.

At LFB 30 and FX 50, 4 wheel lockup does give me lighter steering and i feel the subtle vibrations I think, its a strange sensation. When wheels break traction during normal driving, loose rear gives me the directional fighting a little bit but I also feel the scrubbing. Still not 100% sure im describing the same effect :D but I do think its there ... next to the effect of rubber being a bit jumpy when going sideways.

I tried the custom ffb file and that does help getting rid of the "sticky" center with LFB .. BUT it also seems to get rid of the wheel getting lighter when breaking traction, slightly. Might try playing with the custom file for a bit.

Also when I tried to rest the file, I just renamed yours. The new one was exactly the same as the one you posted :) for a second I got scared but when I deleted all those files in the folder it worked. Really strange.

18. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

The scrub effect from the custom ffb definitely works try this file. It is set to only have scrub effects present. I have noticed though that power on understeer doesn't have any scrub but braking understeer does, as well as full on slides.

Attached Files:

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Hehe,

I am not quite sure I understand what happened that you got scared from 8)

The LFB fix makes it so the LFB is not applied to the rack, so yes, it will impact the lighter feel too a little.
    To me the effect of over-centering felt so wrong & fake I had to set LFB to 0 without the fix, so not much choice for me really 8)
    I agree there are still effects when breaking hard & also when sliding completely sideways, but I think those are from the rack, not from the scrub effect.
    But without this effect, I can not longer feel it break lose. There is just nothing there, other than the wheel countering.

Btw I had changed a setting in the LFB fixed file that you tried as I was playing with scrubbing, so please download it again from the above LFB post if you want it to not have a weird scrubbing value.

20. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, yes, I do feel the full on slides, but I assumed it to be from the steering rack & not be the scrub effect.
    So maybe they just really changed it a lot?
    As I posted before, I can no longer feel it when I go over the limit. There is no effect there.
    Do you feel anything on breaking lose?