1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

It was with both. Just forgot the recalibration step, so everything was off at first and gave some strange effects. No probs, enjoy!

2. NBrembo

NBrembo Member

G27 user here.
    Once again great job Karsten and NuScorpii and jpmmuc for files.
    I used jpmmuc file on p46 and increased 'rack LFB' to 0.6. Feels great!
    gain 99
    lfb 88
    fx 40

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

@NuScorpii and myself are sharing a google doc with these settings, trying to converge what we like, if possible. I tend to like more road, it seems. (anybody wants to join the Google drive file to add suggestions or edits, just ask, you're welsome).

The merge @NuScorpii posted prior had left some of that out by accident & we have now merged it all in a google doc.
    If you're slightly more of a road guy here's the current version with those bits included, still holding all of @NuScorpii 's last update goodies(except stronger on the road) as well as additionally:

* Makes the road slightly softer.
    * Includes 2nd, even softer road layer.
    * Includes a 3rd layer speedier noise. Slightly towards the "fake center noise" we get from the default setup, but here it is a little lighter & softer and the big difference is it works also when you turn the wheel. It does not magically go away.

In the file there is a master knob for road fx now, called "road_fx". If you want more/less road relative to other effects, dial that up or down.
    Also, if you specifically want more or less of the new 3rd layer, "road_rumbling_scale" can be adjusted higher or lower.

There was a question reg. the "driving on stones" feel you can sometimes get. This version tries to avoid that to great length. Also, using far less LFB, is one way to help avoid it.

My current in game settings (on dd wheel):
    LFB 1 (go MUCH higher on non-dd, I think, but start from here)
    FX 50 (go somewhat higher on non-dd)

Here is attached custom ffb file "back on the road":
    (re-uploaded the file with lock stop fix back in place)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Nope, it's still useless on my T300. The force produced is still way below the maximum, which means the lock stop still gets completely overpowered by cornering forces. I really don't understand why they don't just implement the fix we posted weeks ago. It's simple and it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NuScorpii

Ok, I'll add back in the fix...

6. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@NuScorpii , @Karsten Hvidberg I'm just modifying the scales from the 9.2front and rear file and it works fantastic with the 9.3version! Now, should I delete the file whenever we get an update from Reiza?

I'm only asking because I don't quite understand to what extent this file will influence future updates, In my mind, it basically interacts with the available physics of the game, and so any update should only modify the feel of my old FFB and require me to do some recalibration, either in-game or in the file. Is that right?

Thanks

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Wow, more helpful goodies--thanks!! For those of us dummies, the prior "close to stock" file had just one simple line:

(scrub_scale 14.0)​

This could be adjusted to affect the proportion of the scrub effect, but I don't see it in your new file.

Having a separate front and rear adjustment is even better, assuming all else is stock Reiza 0.9.3. But how is the overall scrub scale "volume knob" from the variable above now adjusted? Does it have to be done separately for front and rear rather than just applying a single signal level and then apportioning it? So I am really clear, what would be the equivalent of the value 14 in the line above?

I also do not see the rack ratio fix....is that not needed with this file?

Thanks!

8. Karsten Hvidberg

Whenever there is a new version I rename the Automobilista 2 folder in the "Documents" folder.
    Starting AMS will again generate that folder, all from scratch, and you can dump in any custom ffb file that you want in the new folder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, it is still a nice addition to have in the file, so it prob. should be added if you like it, since it can easily be set to 1.0 or 0.3 or whatever you please & will still help you fix the center noise issue, at least. (adding @NuScorpii here so he might catch it).

I would add that from my perspective it's easier to use the "full" custom files & then scale the road & engine down to 0.0. The rack rate is part of it always and then there's the slight chance we can stick to 1 single evolving file.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In the pure with added scrub from NuScorpii and also in the full overhaul from Karsten and NuScorpii the scrub can be toned for front and rear accordingly in 2 parameters strength and frequency:
    # Scrub scale (0.0 - 1.0)
    # Set to 0.0 to disable
    (scrub_scale_front 0.7) <- this is strength, more is more (e.g. from front)

# Scrub lambda (inversely proportional to frequency of effect)
    # Higher values give lower freq. Best range 1.1 - 1.8
    (scrub_lambda_front 1.6) <- this is frequency, more is slower

To sum up the road effects:
    # Road settings
    (road_fx 0.3) <- road noise, more is stronger

Remember this is all done with an oscillator and not coming from the physics. But it's really helpful and adds so much inversion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CycloZeb

CycloZeb Member AMS2 Club Member

NuScorpii I prefer your version 2 where I feel the braking better than in 3rd version

12. NuScorpii

Try increasing the scrub_scale values.

13. Tobi797979

Tobi797979 New Member

I am still happy with the default FFB Profile and SC2 with ingame 30-35/0-10/100
    Trudrive 25nm with little damping and friction and Recon 2.
    No need for me for the Custom Profile yet.
    Best regards

14. Marc Collins

Thanks for the explanation. I like the scrub_scale variable so far as it is tweaking the only thing I really want to alter. The road, engine, etc. are all perfectly fine with the Reiza default on my non-DD wheel. Having the ability to turn F vs R on and off and scale it is also a lovely bonus :)

Thanks to both of you "FFB heroes" @NuScorpii and @Karsten Hvidberg!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. NuScorpii

Yes, you would need to edit both values, I'll change it to make it more clear with an overall scaling value.

That file was for the people that only wanted the scrub effect added and were happy with everything else as it was from the default. IMO the rack ratio is not a bug, it's just a preference on how it feels with more LFB.

16. Marc Collins

Oh, OK. I was not unnecessarily confused, then. If the rack ratio can be put in there, it's just 1.0 as per Reiza or lower as preferred. I have been testing your 0.4 to gauge the effects. It works well on most vehicles, but makes a few worse on my rig.

It's the scaling of the scrub that I still do not understand--i.e., what is the equivalent of that 14.0 in the scrub_scale? For idiots, having the global scale and then an apportionment front and rear would be the simplest. I think you already have the "apportionment" in there with Front and Rear scrub scale. It's the lambda stuff that is not clear in terms of its relationship to overall scale or even how it works itself :)

17. NuScorpii

The overall strength for the scrub effect is 30 so to have 14 you would need to set the the scrub_scale_xxxx to 0.466. The lambda value only affects the frequency of the effect and is a wavelength multiplier (not sure the value it multiplies as it is internal). However different frequencies have a different amount of perceived power so need to be scaled slightly differently. As a rule of thumb the lower the lambda (higher the frequency) the higher the perceived power of the effect so scaling value should be lower.

18. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think some hard-coded scrub values made it to the file:
    (FR_scrub (* FR_scrub (oscillator 1.6)))
    -> needs to be (FR_scrub (* FR_scrub (oscillator scrub_lambda_front)))
    -> same for rear, needs to be (RR_scrub (* RR_scrub (oscillator scrub_lambda_rear)))

Same for the Pure with added scrub file

• Like Like x 1
  19. NuScorpii

Latest changes:
    - Modified lock stop method to work
    - Changed lock stop "bumpstop" function values so you get a softer hit from the lock stops. Could be quite violent on DD wheels with bounce back and oscillations
    - Added overall scrub scale factor "scrub_scale_master" so it is more explicit what the values are
    - Using in built blend function for rack lfb and engine scale
    - Fixed RHS scrub oscillator

I prefer the road_scale value at 0.1 (0.4 in the file) otherwise I can't feel some of the subtle changes in track surface texture changes like at Donnington.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

Oh, I was asked why I thought the default Lfb handling is a bug another time, so will elaborate. Maybe I can be corrected then.

The possible "LFB BUG" elaborated:

The current default LFB implementation applies Lfb to the "rack forces" that include the build in road feel currently.
    So the problem is that when you set an Lfb amount it is applied to the strong tire pull force as well as the smaller details.
    2 things happen, as I see it, that I would call new bugs(since this was not so from the original setup from PC2 and introduced by Reiza):

1) The strong directional tire pull force drowns the more detailed forces from the road details in all other positions than center, since that is the only place those strong directional forces are not pulling hard.
    2) The tire pull force is itself strengthened, causing a too hard pull to the center of the wheel. No normal real car wheel would do this. On dd wheels it is a real issue. On non-dd wheels it might be ok up to a point.

Specially #1 I view as a big issue as we simply cannot set the Lfb to strengthen the weak road detail forces outside center position.
    But #2 feels really bad too on any dd wheel and prob. csw class wheels as well.

Both issues on their own makes the wheel center a special place, together even worse special place, that it really should not be and will be possible to feel when turning, no way to fix it.
    You clearly feel it in the road noise/details running default when just turning normally at any speed and also when driving straight at any speed and zigzagging the wheel back and forth over the center (remember to set Lfb to some high setting so it becomes clear. At lesser values it will be much less clear, but you also will have no Lfb on anything).

Both problems would cease to exist if those forces are not added until after lfb has been applied to one of them or both.

The Lfb rack rate fix does not really fix it, since it does not make us able to apply Lfb to the racks road details in a meaningful way. But importantly it makes us able to loosen the Lfb on the whole rack force, so we can still use it for other effects.

I hope this makes sense to others too and if I am correct, that Reiza will fix it before they go deeper on ffb work.

• Like Like x 1