1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am using 100 100 100 0 0 in the TM profiler and 40 34 53 3 and it gives me a great feeling in most cars. Excellent with the trainers eg at Londrina.

2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Something that I feel both AMS1 and rF2 excel at is communicating tire-grip / grip-loss near the threshold. Both provide a good margin in which to operate and judge how hard we push the tires at every turn. It also provides a stronger sense of overall cornering intensity that I find very satisfying.

I think AMS2 FFB has that potential and is inching closer with each update. Something that may improve that aspect is having a bit more progression in cornering resistance leading up to optimal front grip levels. I believe that may one of two things that sets rF2 FFB apart from others. I've been thinking about how to utilize a graph to better illustrate that.

A key difference imo, in the often highly regarded ACC-FFB is that, there exists a very, very narrow threshold of optimal grip, followed by a subtle drop-off in cornering-resistance. There is some very fine scrub-effect but, it's almost non-existent when using filtering to achieve smoothness. There is also a distinct lack of bump detail as scrub increases. The results may or may not be more realistic but, I certainly enjoy it less in ACC.

rF2, on the other hand, utilizes the combination of ramping-up resistance with fine bump details (approaching the threshold) at the same time. that's a 1-2 punch for judging grip / grip-loss, add to that effective audio cues and it's 1-2-3 (knockout). :p:)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. vortex

vortex Member

I can read sentences (I'm pretty good at spelling and punctuation too :D). Cheekymunkey78 stated that weight transfer in ACC was nowhere near what it is in AMS2. Based on what real drivers have said about the feeling of weight transfer in ACC, that must make AMS2 much better than just being realistic!

I'm not a ACC fanboy - I have high hopes for AMS2 but, unlike some people posting here, I think you have to be honest about its current state. In my opinion it's not yet the amazing sim some seem to be describing it as but it's still early days.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Scoops

Scoops Member

Having a Caterham in the garage at home I agree the feedback of the kerbs and going off track etc seems to be too low and subdued. ( could be my wheel setup but tried most options) Not that I’ve done much off track in my 7 as it gets even more expensive than my sim racing habit

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Pics, please. :cool: With a paper + my name on it too.

6. Donnie

Donnie New Member

First, thanks to Reiza, as usual the general feeling is incredible !
    (Wasn't a backer but big fan since Game Stock Car [​IMG])

The game has clearly the potential to be the best sim you can find, but there is a real struggle with the wheel feeling...

I use a T500RS with a loadcell. I tried all the setup combos you can imagine to find the perfect feeling, and here is my opinion
    I think there is two things not properly rendered :
    1- there is absolutely no feedback for understeer and tyre lock... That's a fact !
    2- I have the feeling that there is a grip/elasticity problem with the tyres. Let me explain ! - I was on Spielberg with Super V8, and starting to find some regularity and beating by 2sec the AI at 100%... Then I tried to finish my race with the classic "sliding on the finish line" after a big left-right wheel move. But then this happened : instead of losing the back and start sliding, the front tyres had so much grip, I immediately started to barrel roll... o_O !! It was like the floor is made from glue.
    So, I tried to link that event, and the bizarre feeling in the wheel that I can't describe. I came up with this !! (It's a personal opinion and I'm not saying that I am right)

I think we have a problem with the lateral grip and tyre elasticity... When I drive on a straight at high speed, when I do a little correction on the wheel, the car feels like "gum" or something soft.
    I got a strange but light left-right wobbling, like the top of the car would have been very heavy... Like I can feel too much of the lateral inertia of my chassis !

Does it make any sense to you guys ?

I hope it could help a bit
    Stay safe everybody

Cheers,
    Donnie

PS : My last "good feeling" setup was : 60/40/40
    And 70/100/100/100/100 for the TM driver

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

I agree, we should feel it with the Caterham, probably not as much as with the Dallara, but still.
    My point was more that it is there since we have it in the Caterham but we probably need to be patient for all the cars to be optimum.
    At present, it is a little bit underwhelming, but already quite nice and definitely too early to have definitive opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Is it a general rule or premise that LFB affects the "tightness at centre" of the wheel, with too much (high) resulting in an overly-springy, tight feeling at centre and too little (low) causing a looseness or floppy feeling?

Just asking because if this is true in general, it could help people set LFB more quickly/efficiently.

9. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Please read below what LFB is and does as per the first post of this thread. That is all it does according to Renato.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cheekymunkey78

Cheekymunkey78 New Member

Hi @vortex

Firstly thank you very much for taking the time to read my comment and then post an opinion on it. I really liked your comment about how the professionals see the ACC FFB.

I don't normally comment again on other people's comments but I would like to just say something in-case I am being mis-understood (not saying you mis-understood me, its just for clarity on my post).

When I mentioned that AMS's information was very clear I did not mean it was better than ACC's. It was just clearer (e.g. I could tell/feel more about the cars weight and how it was transferring - the FFB gave me more information about this.)

I fully accept that this could be classed as "overdone" as more information is not always a good thing.

I used the other sims as a point of reference/comparison, just to provide some detail on how I came to those conclusions.

As I have never raced a real car I have no reference point so can not compare it to real life (I don't think driving my Ford Fiesta too quick around a corner counts as FFB knowledge :)).

I simply wanted to offer some feedback to the community and the developers for consideration because one thing we can all agree on is Reiza listens to its community, they will continue to develop an already impressive Sim and we are all really excited and want to be part of that journey to help make this the best Sim out there.

Please take this as a comment to provide clarity to my post and not to question your comment as it is just as valid.

Cheeky x.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Been experimenting lots with the FFB lately since reading the post by Renato.

''For Direct Drive wheels, it is recommended to set gain around 40-50%.''
    I've a CSW 2.5. If put it higher than 50 the Lancers, v8 and Stock Brasil become unpleasant heavy. Between 40-50 it seems ok. Ideally I would pick between 43-46

''Fanatec / Thrustmaster wheels should be set somewhere in the range of 30-60%.''
    This one is tricky. I never go beyond 50% because it again feels unpleasant with the cars above.

I've found out some interesting combinations:
    36/48
    38/46
    32/50
    45/30
    42/34 (My new favourite)

I tend to think the last two must be ''correct'' for the most powerful belt-base on the market. LFB must be set around 30-60% for Thrustmaster / Fanatec bases, so 1 + 1 = 2 and since the CSW 2.5 is so strong I assume it has to between 30-35%.

The only problem is why the CSW has a similar gain as a Fanatec DD1. According to Renato since the CSW 2.5 isn't DD, so has set to be above 50%, but then the 3 cars above would be incredibly heavy with 50+ gain and 30% LFB.

Food for thought.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  12. Marc Collins

Yes, I was being rhetorical in that I already know it is supposed to be a general rule. Was asking for confirmation from "us" that it actually behaves that way in a consistent manner and whether it is therefore possible to suggest a tuning methodology.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mr. Renato, with my Logitech G920:
    - GAIN: the advice that Reiza gives to set this value to 100 does not work ... I set GAIN to 40, with this value I greatly reduce the excessive pendulum effect due to the weight transfer ... to find this "my correct" value, I reset all the other settings and with a gain from 100 to 60 it is impossible to reduce clipping ... with a gain less than 50 the weight transfer effect becomes manageable almost without clipping ... the value of 40 for me is the best at the moment (not perfect but the best) ... under 40 (for example 30), there is no pendulum effect but it is too light and not very informative.
    - LFB: the advice Reiza works well and leave 80.
    - FX: 70 because the vibrations of the engine in neutral and the sliding of the tires start to perceive them from 60 upwards.

We look forward to his advice on the G29 / G920 ... thank you so much !!!
    (Automobilista 2 E.A. 0.8.0.1);

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have definitely had this pendulum effect in the G29, it feels like I am towing a caravan behind the car sometimes. I tried the gain at 40% but it was far too low for me, it may remove the pendulum effect, but it also removed most of the other feedback to a point where I felt I was disconnected from the car. I hope Renato can revisit the G29 and tweak it a little. I like the overall weight and feeling at gain 100, but on the cars that have the pendulum effect it very much drowns out the other feedback signals coming through.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

That is a nice way to describe it, it is car dependant, but as you and other have said lowering the gain helps to reduce the effect at the expense of a lighter FFB overall feeling. This pendulum feeling is what mostly made me think when I first tried the game that it was probably not for me, I am glad I sticked to it because I do not think it will be hard to fix in due time.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Donnie

Donnie New Member

And the feeling is exactly the same with a T500RS

• Like Like x 2
  17. Marc Collins

And I can feel it with certain heavier vehicles on my wheel, depending on the FFB settings. This pendulum effect is one major aspect of balancing the Gain vs. LFB. I, too, am interested to see if Reiza dials some of this out of certain vehicles (where it is more pronounced), or if we will have to be very careful with the balancing act.

The lower the LFB on my wheel, the more extreme the pendulum. But managing Gain levels to prevent clipping as you increase LFB is tricky.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I agree Marc. I find that I struggle with some extreme spikes if not using some LFB. Not all cars exhibit such behavior but, LFB serves to normalize the range of effects to make those cars much more manageable under hard cornering (suspension under load). Of course, Gain must be adjusted to suit the LFB level so it's really a combination of the two settings.

This is not so different than what many DD-wheel users experience when they first play rF2. Complaints of extreme bump / raised-curb strike forces are the norm until they manually edit the controller-file.

SimuCube2 users may have some settings that mitigate the range issues with some cars. That may be why more of them leave LFB at zero.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. josecar_fr

josecar_fr New Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the game need ffb adjustment for each car independent. I have a dd wheel and same cars feel strong and another feel very soft, I have to change the gain everytime I change a car. Anybody agree?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Marc Collins

If you have LFB set properly, the range of softest to largest will be much smaller, but with a very strong wheel, it may still be too much. A per-car adjustment is coming, but that may only be for Gain, so you still need to get the LFB configured in the first place. I think Reiza is looking at feedback to see which wheels are having the most trouble to do this.