1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Messing about with stuff is what PC gaming is all about. If you want plug and play, consoles can't be beaten, but the ability for people to tweak, modify and share is part of the appeal for sim games of all genres. It has been very illuminating having people on this thread working with the FFB code, and I have enjoyed the time I've frittered away trying to edit files I have little clue about with a surprising degree of success.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Wouldn't it be a much better if you custom FFB chaps started a separate custom FFB thread and kept the discussion separate from this thread which Renato started to allow users to discuss the "official" FFB? It must be a nightmare for the developers to scan the comments for useful feedback on their work. I think it's great that you guys are doing this for the community, but it is overwhelming this thread - you need your own home to play in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel quite certain that if this is the case the developers will ensure that this occurs. It seems to me that the majority of those using Custom profiles are also testing the Default, and are offering their settings/thoughts and are willing to help others regardless of the profile they use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems to me it's all one big reflection on default & then a reflection on that reflection.
    So should be perfect feedback, I would think?
    Also the official ffb is right there. It amounts to about 95% of the custom ffb, really. It's just those 5% that to some of us feels much higher than that. It's in the details & everything coming together.

But it might be too detailed info? We did discuss it several times too.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  5. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Remember that you seem to be using DD wheels to dial in your improvements. It might not work like that on the usual wheels that people use.

6. Karsten Hvidberg

There are people here of all wheel types & information how things work for each & what feels bad/good.
    The custom ffb is not split up in multiple files, yet. But I think that if we feel we need to continue down this path, we will split it up to make it easier & everybody's input will be used to configure each of those files.
    But already now you can target your wheel type just by asking what works for others for values here for your type.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Speaking of values, which in-game settings are you preferring with the latest custom FFB file Karsten? Also, what are current your TD settings? I don't think I've ever seen your TD settings, but maybe they are over in the Granite Devices thread somewhere.

8. Karsten Hvidberg

upload_2020-5-29_20-49-35.png

Not 100% settled on friction & dampening, but it's important to use some of both for me, to fill in so the diff in ffb will not make it feel too artificial on occasion.
    On some cars it helps to go even higher on friction. Like for example the old gen1-3 formula cars, that have more artifical feeling ffb to me currently.

I then set up gain in game around 70%. FX 50%. LFB 10%.
    What I like about the latest custom ffb files is that I can easily turn up fx to achieve more road details & other effects. So I would not hesitate to go higher than the 50% if I felt that was needed. Already at 50% the details are sharper than the Default ffb, though, so I'm good.
    Easy to change the ffb file for more of each effect relatively too.

As you see I use reverse of @NuScorpii reg. "gain" & TD force. I just prefer my hands intact. This will prevent any output above 10NM to hit me.
    I prob. would go higher on a non-formula rim in TD and lower ingame gain, again bc less chance of losing parts of my hands on a rounded rim.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Hands are overrated ;) Makes you feel like a real racing driver when you have to let go of the wheel heading into the wall o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. NuScorpii

Yeah, I change the wheel strength down to match belt wheels to test, but it's not ideal. Load of other are testing it too though and giving feedback which we try and integrate. I also have an old T300 that I'll use when I get a new rim sorted for my dd and can put the 599xx back on it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

There is very little feedback in this thread about the game default though - the majority of the discussion is now about the various changes to the custom. I understand what you are saying about your file being based on the default but I don't think that matters. I think it would make much more sense to have one thread for feedback on the default file and another for the custom files. I really can't understand why anyone would dislike this idea (although someone clearly does :whistle:) - it's not meant to discourage discussion on the custom files - it's intended to separate out the two separate discussions. Surely this would help everyone? Would certainly help me! :D

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Gagaryn,

We are actually 99% in agreement, I think you misread me.
    I do not dislike the idea at all. Also stated that we have been discussing it multiple times(we even planned doing so already).

I do disagree on your statement that there is very little feedback on the Default FFB, I see lot's, just more indirectly given. But that detail is not so important for our shared purpose.
    I FULLY agree that the feedback is NOT DIRECTLY provided in regards to the default FFB & that we are therefore MISSING feedback because of that, or making it harder to find that specifically, which is def. most unfortunate.

So why don't we just split out next time somebody posts a file?
    We will post that in a new thread "Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback" & point to it from here when it happens.

@NuScorpii linked here, so he notices too, in case he posts a file first.
    Also if anybody else is going to post a file, feel free to go ahead and do these things.

Cheers to a hopefully great EA 0.9.5 release soon :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I didn't get too much time with the new EA updates to the Default FFB profile, but from what I'm seeing so far - it's a big step forward and seems to have corrected the LFB issues that caused the wheel to have the unnatural centring effects when driving GT cars. I'm curious to try a wider range of cars tomorrow to to see how things feel there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

nm

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 5
  16. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Logitech G920 steering wheel
    LogitechHub Profile Default (50-50-50 Spring 10)
    Game Setting Sensitive Default (50-50-50) and Deadzone all to 0

Regarding the FFB Default of the new update 0.9.5.1 I can say that it was a big improvement this time, I am very happy and perhaps it is even more beautiful than the 0.9.2.1 version that I liked a lot (I did not like the 0.9.3.1/2 version not at all and I was very frustrated).

Having said that, my personal feelings, on this update 0.9.5.1 and on my cheap steering wheel, were these:
    - The GAIN has not undergone any particular changes compared to the previous versions, therefore only small adjustments but in the end I stabilized on 85;
    - LFB now needs a bit higher values than before to fill the center and the dead zone, until 0.9.2.1 80-85 was enough, with 0.9.3.1/2 I kept it around 90, now with this version I keep it up to 95 without anomalies;
    - FX same speech, even the maximum septum at 100 (up to values around 75 you don't hear much).

So in summary we have GAIN 85 LFB 95 FX 100 ... for me it's wonderful, so congratulations to Reiza for the good job who made me very happy today !!!! :hurrayreiza:

Regardless of my experience, I hope that all of you are comfortable with other brands of steering wheels and that this base can be used for version 1.0 of the game, on which you can then apply further detail improvements in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. NuScorpii

I've had a good session with the updated FFB in 0.9.5 this morning and overall it seems a bit better. However, it is really difficult to tell when I haven't used the old default since yesterday, so it could be placebo effects. Road details seem a little better. LFB seems to have a better response around centre as others have noted. @Karsten Hvidberg needs to check on that as he was very sensitive to the "fighting for centre" effect.

However the lock stop still isn't great. It probably works in more cases now but it is still not giving full strength lock stops on some settings. I don't know why they are trying to be clever with gain and steering ratio scales, it's pretty simple, a lock stop should hit max resistance force as you exceed that point. For low force wheels using high gain you can get a lock stop that hardly feels any heavier than the steering still.

Using the default custom file the scrub settings still don't actually do anything. The scrub_rack variable doesn't control the scrub felt around corners and the scrub_rear when increased from 0.0 doesn't add any extra effects.

• Informative Informative x 5
  18. Karsten Hvidberg

I agree it feels a little better in the details and it seems the damping fix is nice.

But why is there no ingame setting for dampening?

Actually think the "fight for center" was removed a few updates back. It seems prior to that Reiza on purpose "overshot" or there was a min force acting that would make it happen, which might have been good on weaker wheel bases. We should test in the custom ffb for that (all that is now in the custom ffb thread).

But a good improvement! and Rome wasn't built in a day. So I'm very pleased on the ffb improvement front.

• Like Like x 3
  19. blanes

blanes Member

Using an AccuForce and I like the files you guys make, however each of them (for me) has not enough of the grainy feel of the road and also the engine vibe.

Please can you point me to the line where I can just increase this bit by bit until I find the amount I like ? Thanks for your efforts and to Reiza for improving the FFB. It really has potential to be the best in the business somewhere down the road after v1.0 release.

20. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Looking forward to trying these settings out shortly , same wheel as you so will be interested to see if these high values feel to heavy .

• Friendly Friendly x 1