1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There was quite a difference in the SuperV8's FFB levels after installing 0.9.7. (Documents folder deleted, files verified, setups to default.) The car clipped so strongly at 100% Gain that I had to reduce the FFB to 75%. But the V8 was much better than in the dead-feeling 0.9.6, with far more control through fast corners. It's the most I've enjoyed the car in a month. Although it's still not as telepathic to drive as in earlier builds, this latest version is good enough to assuage my fears over AMS 2's final FFB.

There is still a large FFB strength disparity between cars, with the Lancer R needing 95% Gain, but the introduction of individual car settings should solve that problem.

The devs have to accommodate all wheels from sensitive and powerful direct drive devices to relatively crude and weak "plastic wheels" - as Renato called them :D - a difficult task. Reiza are walking a tightrope but they've almost got to the other side. :cool:

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I am not finding that disparity...whatever was there has been getting progressively smaller with each update (of car physics and FFB). Just for fun, try higher LFB as an experiment. Even if you don't like the feel or want to keep it, see if it reduces the disparities. It does on my wheel. I would try 85 or 90 as a test.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I was wondering:

With the Sprintrace my wheel wobbles when sitting in the pits after clicking drive.
    • Either my LFB is too high. Running 20 at the moment
    • It's bugged
    • The Dri -2 is too low (Damper)
    Gonna test it out <3

4. Marc Collins

Your LFB would be too LOW if you are trying to get rid of oscillations or extreme swings in forces in the car or between one car and another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marius H

Can't imagine to put it even higher. I've to fight the wheel then and that's uncomfortable. I forgot to test, because I was soo tired and went to bed. But now a new day, new chances.

6. Marc Collins

Can you describe what you mean by fighting the wheel? The overall force level or amount of strength it takes to turn the wheel does not change when I adjust LFB--it just changes the subtle nature of the forces.

With low LFB, you get more dramatic swings in forces (e.g., pendulum effect is more noticeable) and forces tend to be harsher. When LFB is too low, it feels artificial because real cars, even raw race cars, do not have those harsh/exaggerated responses that you can feel. Some may be seduced into thinking that "more" feedback is better, but for me it is the wrong (unnatural) feedback.

With high LFB you tighten the wheel at centre, but too high could numb some forces and provide an artificial feeling in the opposite direction--too smooth or rubbery. Of course, different wheels will produce different degrees of this effect at the same numerical settings, but if you have unwanted oscillations, the logical step would be to increase LFB, not lower it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marius H

Oh no. I've no problems when racing. Only that the wheel wiggles when I am in the pits after pressing 'Drive' and just sitting there stationair. So I gonna test it after my tea :D

8. Marius H

Well. I loaded Stockcar at Guapore. Pressed Drive. The wheel was wobbling/osculating while standing still in the pits. Lowered the LFB to 5. Poof gone.

I believe the center is too tight / forces too high at 20 LFB or so. I think 5% is plenty. Perhaps 10% with bmw rim

Edit: I am not a big fan of the Stockcar Brasil FFB. When doing cornering I experience horrible grinding.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  9. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If I'm using LFB above let's say 20 I have too much force in the center and forces are muted (rubber band). I am using 12 atm with FX at 100. Also if I am using too high Gain, the forces are not felt as good as with lower gain.
    Another thing. On Jerez, the Sprint Car feels just amazing. The bumps and the catching tires are awesome. How come, the MCR2000 feels "numb" in comparison? It's stiff and slicks. Should be felt much more in a fast bend with bumps.

10. Gaspedal

Gaspedal New Member AMS2 Club Member

I think a LFB between 15-20% is recommended for all wheels.

11. Marc Collins

If that was true, the slider wouldn't need to go from 0-100. Or, the real range of 15-20 would be extrapolated across the slider 100 point range, which is not the case.

12. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Kerbs feel incredibly weak in this latest version, almost non-existent.

13. Marc Collins

Not for everyone, so unless you provide your hardware and settings...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I fully agree with your vision ... steering wheels with enough force (for example T500, Fanatec and all DD) need low LFB but go through strong shaking if not well calibrated (both in the driver panel of the hardware, both in play) ... the steering wheels with little force need high LFB values (otherwise the central area will not fill it even if you raise the GAIN a lot, moreover there are clipping phenomena on many cars). ..

I, for example, have a weak and cheap G920, between the two problems, I prefer the second (I am a high LFB at the moment) because it is the most tolerable ... better a rubbery but full steering wheel in the central area, full of strength and with the only defect of the counterforce on some cars but enjoyable (Ultima GTR and Stock Car V8) ... that a steering wheel with all the forces flattened, with the pendulum effect and not very informative given the low power of the product itself ;)

It is certainly a defect of youth that will be further perfected in the future, and this both from the development of physics, both from the development of the output or the FFB, and also, from the right calibration and intersection of the game with the various drivers of our steering wheels.

My current setting in version 0.9.7.0 is Gain 86 LFB 94 FX 100, I have a really good feeling with almost all the cars (except those sensations that I have described above) ... but I hope that in the future it will become more grainy, more detailed and less "chewy" !!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  15. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

TS-PC. I can feel them like crazy on the custom profiles that have been posted in the forum though, so something is not very well balanced in the default. They worked on previous versions. Tried up to 100 FX and LFB as strong as 60, and they are still weak.

16. Marc Collins

Did you delete the FFB file completely and force AMS 2 to create a new default one? That has solved strange issues for me in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

All DD wheels maybe , any of the lower powered wheels definitely need at least 50 in my opinion .

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Where do you delete the default ffb file? There is only one for the custom ones isn't there?

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Here's a simple custom file that aims to only fix the very basics from "Default", so mostly the same.

Fixes:

* Stronger kurbs
    * Added scrub

most importantly, the rest are details.

@Pixel Maybe this is for you?

@F.Santos suggested this file & I just copy-pasted.

"Silver Santos" attached:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Marc Collins

It's all one and the same. Just keep a copy of any custom one that you might want to use again, but if you simply delete it (or rename it), AMS 2 will create a new default one.

• Agree Agree x 1