Brake migration and other adjustments

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Racinglegend1234, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

F1 cars have been driving at over 300kph for decades...

The drivers used to modulate the brake pressure to handle this...

Electronic braking adjustments for the ERS regen phases are one thing, but helping the driver trail brake is another... I suppose it's hard to police one and allow the other...

F1 has been a farce since DRS was introduced to "create" overtakes... The lack of mistakes from this braking aid will also be a large factor in the lack of overtakes... More mistakes means more overtakes...

Anything less than 2 hours is a sprint race for someone who watches WEC... It's not BTCC event, but it's still not an endurance race of any measure...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  2. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Driver can still do mistakes during braking, it doesn't mitigate the problem, it is not ABS. It is also not something that can be achieved just by brake modulation.

The aim of the system is not to prevent lock-ups, it is to allow the driver to use full brake potential throughout the braking phase. But he still has to modulate the brakes to not lock-up... it doesn't limit the brake pressure.

Also, driver still needs to adjust the properties for optimal performance, becasue it is purely passive system. Tyre wear, tyre compound, track state all change the properties of the car, and so brake migration has to be always adjusted, by the driver, for optimal lap time. Similar to other system settings, like diffs, engine maps, energy deploy/harvest settings etc.. have to be managed by the driver.

I'm watching F1 since Schumacher's early days, that's 10+ years before this system introduction... throughout this whole time F1 had an overtake issue.. And the main reason is known for most of the time - these cars are so aerodynamically dependant, that they just cannot follow each other through technical sections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Electronic diffs with lots of adjustments on the fly to fully customize and alter handling, even if still not exactly active, cause way more problems in the racing than brake migration.

4. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

The full potential of the brakes should always change under braking... This is mitigating some errors which could lead to better racing... And as many other categories have found, drivers making mistakes is better for racing...

With the ERS I get that it would be hard to police... As that system demands it... But I do get why a lot of people say F2 is harder than F1 these days...

I started watching in the 80s and overtaking has always been hard in F1 thanks to the aero over the car philosophy... The reason more overtakes happened in the 80s was because mistakes were easier to make and the gap between car performance was greater...

In the 90s all sorts of driver aids came and went, but the mistakes were still happening more often... But DRS is where the sport lost it's way for me and I really haven't been paying close attention to it since...

It's not p2p to me, it's handcuffing one driver to let the other by...