1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we have a serious talk about PUDDLES?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by metzgerov, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

I wouldn't call them extreme. I.e. the Hungaroing race was a normal rain, nothing extreme.

AMS 2 has one issue, which migh be the reason you feel it this way... and it is the 'slot' nature of weather in AMS 2. The game has predefined weather which you put into the 'weather' slots in season setup (or the game will do it for you, if you select real weather).

The issue is, that each slot is one hour long. If you accelerate weather progression, you also accelerate the rate which weather affects the real track model. So no matter what you do, each 'rain slot' is one hour worth of rain... even if it rains i.e. for 20 minutes, because you accelerated the weather, as far as the game is concerned, it was 1 hour of rainfall.

Because of this, you cannot really have a greasy track, with a little drizzle (a condition in which drys would work). You always end up with rain. It is also why puddles grow so fast, if you have sub 1 hour race, and weather tied to time.

And IRL, one hour of rainfall will affect every race in a pretty significant way.

I really wish that in the future we can decouple the 'weather slot length', and can really setup the session for like, 5 minutes of light rain, with 5minutes of light worth of water actually falling down. (and not 1 hour worth of water falling down in 5minutes).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Cliff

Cliff Member

The issue for me is that there's no wet racing line like in real life. On a real track the dry, rubbered in racing line, would be unusable in the wet due to the lack of grip. With everyone off that normal line searching for grip a wet racing line would develop (unless it's a monsoon when the race would be stopped) but this doesn't happen with AI unaffected and I've not seen it happen in online racing either. It's a big flaw which makes wet weather unrealistic and a bit of a gimmick but still fun and challenging.

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe that’s for the AI, but I think Renato said that the AI will use more wet lines since they’ve started to add wet lines for the player

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. metzgerov

metzgerov New Member

Yeah that makes sense. I wish you could disable the "storm conditions" or tone down the amount of water like you said.

Most of the puddles that form that effect driving are extreme. I just did a wet race at Adelaide and most of the puddles there would cause hydroplaning at 45kph (i think even lower). These didn't appear to be that deep and I was just coasting. I'm no Hydrologist but the real-life physics doesn't make this seem plausible Roadway Hydroplaning - The Trouble with Highway Cross Slope

It seems Reiza won't see this or care but there are many people who don't even race in the rain in AMS 2 because of this. Which is a shame.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I can tell you that they care. They even toned down the puddle depth a bit before

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think one thing you can never accuse Reiza of is not caring. This is their racing baby, and they want it to be as good as possible.

From what I understand, race cars are much more susceptible to aquaplaning as the tyres are wider and have less tread, the cars are lighter and the asphalt is smoother.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. metzgerov

metzgerov New Member

Fair enough that is true.

8. Cliff

Cliff Member

That would fix the only major gripe I have.