1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOR issue...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Simmo99x, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Seems that after more testing, it's more obvious in the pre 2000/older cars, the front end grip is so extreme that it wants to spin/over rotate the car.
    If a car has hard slicks on it's not really an advantage, but with soft slicks/slicks on most it's quite bad.

Might be an issue tied to the soft slick compounds, because when running hard slicks (when available) the cars seem to behave normally, even with extreme DOR settings.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Yes, important issue that demands a fix as soon as possible.

4. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Definitely could do with a good looking into, I know in Pcars 2 this was somekind of exploit by sawing at the wheel mid corner to keep the car on a tighter line/carry more speed, from a few guys I spoke with.
    Not sure if it's carried over or not, as I didn't ever play Pcars2.
    Don't think it was a Pcars1 trait from playing it back in the day.
    Or could just be a simple fix in the tyre/steering physics.

5. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Will be, was noted earlier this afternoon.:)
    As i said earlier I will also test more (tonight) but others are also on the case.
    data will reveal. Devs also others.:)

Your ref PC2 any more info/ pls
    sawing at the wheel mid corner
    Works both ways car on limits? as seen in old school and old cars or exploit?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  6. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This kind of thread has a tendency to create a life of its own so to speak, so terms like “exploit” should be used with caution.

The fact is the faster you increase lateral load on a car, the dampers will respond. For a true test that shows extra grip is somehow programmed, a driver would have to significantly increase the steering speed at 900 to mimic 240. Its not uncommon to create a controllable yaw with a quick initial steering input and depending on your throttle input and differential settings the “steady state” part of the corner when low speed dampers arent a factor could in fact appear to create more OS as opposed US because the rear was put on the limit earlier.

Anecdotal point, Abbey and Copse at Silverstone, the drivers (F1) turn the wheel as quickly as possible. Also, there are videos of Alonso in his championship renault creating a rotational yaw by quickly steering on initial turn in.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

That was just his driving style:

8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To my knowledge it has been that way for all sims: what you are exploiting is just that with lower DOR your turn in will be lightning fast and hence you will have much less perceived understeer. I've seen on YT and Twitch some of the fastest driving esports level racers recommending to do it saying that was worth 2s at Spa. I've seen them doing the last chicane at Spa with not more than 45 degrees rotation on the wheel. Same happens in iracing. Once you get used to it you will be much faster. And by the way you also need to reduce a lot the FFB strength to be able to do that (so much for those claiming on YT and twitch they use 100% FFB).
    Similar effect is triggered by the sensitivity setting on the steering wheel: having a more responsive steering immediately off the center saves a lot of understeering. It was the same for me in all sims I used: AC, iracing, PC2 and now AMS2.
    In theory it would work even in real life but there is a physical limit to the strength the driver can accurately exert on the wheel so they can't play with wheel rack ratio in such a crazy way.

9. steelreserv

If its a “style” he would have done ut with other cars. He used this technique for the renault. I think the video is pretty clear about this.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This sort of specific replicable example is what's needed to further test this. Can we have some more, please, from those experiencing this phenomenon?

Usually, tightening the DOR just amplifies the existing FFB. In simple terms, you get the same amount of "gain" or "forces" spread across fewer degrees of physical movement, so the FFB is more intense. You can get the same effect on a stronger wheel by just increasing Gain. If you have a weaker wheel that is already maxed-out at 900, then this may be the only way the true subtleties of the FFB will be revealed for you.

But back to the first point. If the actual grip of the tires or vehicle is affected by this--and I have no idea how that could be possible--then Reiza needs to fix straight away. I expect it is just better ability to control the car via better resolution FFB. However, happy to test with some examples as should others so we can see if this is replicable on a variety of wheels and installations.

Lastly, has anyone heard of anything like this happening in PC or PC 2?

11. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  12. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Its not about, the input or reactions/loading the car up.
    Mid corner grip/max corner speed/lateral grip should be the same no matter what the input.
    Running 900 yes is a slower rack but no matter how fast or slow the inputs, the lateral grip should be no different, in fact adding too much lock/quick inputs should actually cause temporary loss of grip.
    It doesn't really bother me either way, just something I noticed when testing, I've done esports for years and yes in some cars it is beneficial to run a lower DOR, the lateral grip mid corner has always been the same, adding too much would usually cause a slower apex speed for obvious reasons.
    Probably worth a look, but I'm still happy with the game as is.

13. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Isn't this just the same "rotation hack" that is known to exist in iRacing, ACC and probably every other sim:

The PC2 version was already discussed on this forum in June:

Automobilista 2 - June 2020 Review - SLIP AND GRIP?!

Is there realistically any way to prevent this?

14. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Maybe not, might just be a case of it is what it is.

15. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Style was the wrong word, I agree. It was a technique.

From what I understood from the video, the car initially understeered and he did it that way so the front tires would heat up more so he could use the excellent rear grip of the Renault more efficiently out of the corner, not actually to create yaw.

16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For the sake of clarity the person who mentioned that when I heard it was talking about ACC. But I have experience in iracing and myself cranking up the lousy standard steering rate from iracing got 2-3 seconds around a lap of Le Mans....

17. steelreserv

Ah, ok. Either way, it does impact loading of the tires. Its a reason why F1 drivers approach, say, a left hand turn from the left side of the track, then quickly to the right side of the track before turning left again at corner entry.

18. steelreserv

This is definitely a mystery and based on your video, its really beyond the explanation of 'just' driving inputs and dampers etc.

But like its been mentioned before, I don't see how the system could detect your native DOR settings. It would have to be something to do with the calibration right? 900 degrees is like what, 1 and 1/2 complete rotations of the wheel, so I mean, maybe the game doesn't factor a complete lock there because its crazy. And it you play with sensitivity, the game would load up the rotation even more with lower DOR that might not even kick in with 900.

19. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah I'm not sure really, might just be like you say with no set steering lock/angle built in with a gradual build up to max, then a drop off after.
    I'm sure if its an issue Reiza will fix it.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I thought you were the one saying/confirming there was an actual change in grip levels?