1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive rear wheel lock on downshift

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Simon Bennett3, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Simon Bennett3

Simon Bennett3 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Firstly, I am really enjoying being part of the beta programme for AMS2 and it’s is already showing great promise when I compare it with PC2, FFB is much better already, love the variety of cars and the tracks take a lot of learning.

One observation is that all cars are too keen to rear wheel lock on manually downshifting, even with only a small steering input and reasonable revs on downshift cause the rears to lock. Of course heel and toe overcomes this but having raced Caterhams for a couple of years rear locking is an extreme response not a regular response.

If only for the Caterhams can this be adjusted to allow rear locking to only occur on very high revs with a clutch dumped rather than mid revs every time? I only really thought of this as I felt I was really having to wrestle the Caterham around Cadwell and wondering why I was having to be so busy at the wheel.

Looking forward to the upcoming month releases.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Spin

Spin Active Member

This reply probably won't help much but regardless if the car is at mid revs or high revs, if the blip (rev-match) on the downshift isn't precise, there's a good chance of rear-wheel lockup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well the Academy is the only H-pattern Caterham. And I've no issues downshifting. However, on the Supersport, which is SEQ-stick, when it's cold it's issues downshifting then the rear will lock and break out. On Summer and clear day I've no issues. I think it's the tyres or so.

4. Simon Bennett3

Simon Bennett3 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, you could be right it could be the tyres. The Avon CR500s seemed to provide a lot more grip, rear locking only occurred on v heavy braking and turning zones. I watched back my GoPro vids and I was a lot less busy on the wheel

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wilson Santos

Wilson Santos Member

I spun many times downshifting at the start lol, took some getting used to but it seems fine now... I was kind of abusing the cars too anyways