1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First non-official AMS2 Championship (Welcome to Reiza's Gentleman Club)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jugulador, Aug 20, 2020.

1. jbh894

jbh894 New Member

Hello, I am interested in this league :) I am not very experienced sim racer, I only started in April, but I try very hard to not get in the way or wreck anyone's race (I do make mistakes sometimes though). So if it is ok to have a beginner to learn and race I would join.

cars: P4, F3, Ginetta are all fun to me
    tracks: I am no expert on which ones might be best, no idea
    steam: jbh894
    gmt: +3

• Like Like x 3
  2. Zimmer Man

Zimmer Man New Member

Yes please, all for close racing:), Copa-Uno with fixed set-up would keep things tight! UTC+1

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I'm up for this!
    The only thing I would perhaps warn about is performance differences with regards to weather. Limiting dry races to clear/light cloud would help many people's framerates.

Basically listed my favourites below but Stock Car 2020 is #1 for me, always...until the Porsche Cup comes :)

Cars: Stock Car 2020, P1 / P2 / P3, Ginetta G55, F309, Sprint Race
    Tracks: Pretty much all tracks
    Time Zone: GMT: +1
    Steam Username: Gordie

• Like Like x 3
  4. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

As someone who has run a local league for multiple years on multiple sims, I agree with most of what has been said. Fast cars are fun to drive but are the worst ones for fun and close racing. Mainly because most people don't have the skills to react quickly enough when things start going south and the gaps during races are huge. The cars that usually provide the most close and fun racing are the slow and easy to drive ones.

For example:
    We run series that last no more than 4-5 weeks because things get boring/stale if it goes beyond that. We usually switch cars and or race type (2 30min or 1 1hr) after a series to keep things interesting and fresh. We'll even create team races with our regular crowd as a way to switch things up.

We run 2 30min races or 1 1hr race on a week night . About 10-15min practice and 10min Quali.
    Tracks are randomly chosen before a race so nobody gets to practice in advance. We use a combination of people's choices and random number generator on Excel to pick the track. Eg: Random number gen picks track and one random person in the league that night picks the layout of that track. We've found that's the fairest way to do things. That way you don't have someone with plenty of time on their hands practicing the hell out of the track before the race.

In the 4-5 week series and 8-10 races. We only do 1 or 2 races with random/wet weather, so most of the races are in the dry. On the nights when we have 2 30 min races, we have 1 race with no pitstops and the 2nd race with pitstops.

This is what works for us but I'm sure you'll find things that work for you. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

I liked this track choosing format. And the 1 or 2 races with random weather. I'm very good with that.

6. Zimmer Man

Zimmer Man New Member

I feel random cars and tracks would create more driving incidents?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jugulador

Random cars yes... random tracks just a little, but before every race there will be like 50 min to 1 hour of free training. If we choose only the less dangerous tracks (aka: basically not Monaco or Bathurst), things will be fine... I think lol

8. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Introducing random cars and tracks in to a multiplayer race is a tricky thing. Looking here at the Forum, most people concentrate on one or two car classes and don't drive other cars a lot. I believe people should have a chance to get used to a car/track before entering a race.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

When our league runs a series, we use the same car through the series but only the tracks are randomly picked before the races. That way people are familiar with the car and only have to learn the track. You guys can have a long practice time before the race if you guys need familiarity. Eg: 20-45mins practice.

Anyways just a suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jugulador

I'm favorable to stick to one car/class and pick a random track among an already short list.

The thing with random tracks is that could e easy to learn a twelve turns circuit Cascavel or Guaporé... but something like Bathurst or Virginia Full, ask at least a couple hours of practice before being doable. That's why I'm think about listing just tracks like these.

By the way... this is my track list (suggestions, not "the championship list"):

Cascais/Estoril
    Donington Park
    Ibarra/Yahuacocha
    Imola
    Interlagos
    Jerez Moto
    Kansai/Suzuka
    Kyalami
    Londrina
    Velo Città

Teen tracks just for vote sake. We could take the 6 most voted to do the list for the random pick... or even a 10 track list and four will just being used, just to add some surprise factor lol

I selected a variety of track types leaving the trickiest ones out (despite Londrina being a little trick before you really know it). Seven of these are international class tracks (more popular and most people will know them), and just three national level.

11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

meanwhile, 8 persons have joined the steam group. we might start a small fun event quite soon (within the next weeks).
    to all the people who might be interested: just join the group.:)

forgot to post my time zone: gmt +2

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jugulador

Yes, we already have a Gran Turismo 1 size grid... people will come. We can wait until there are more people to start a championship (because aways there are some folks that quit or simply can't be present at all stages... because of that we have to consider that at least 30-40% will not be present until the end of the championship). Even them, we can add each other on Steam and build the habit of racing together.

PS: Can you please edit your first post with the time zone? It will make my life easier when I do the counting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Cars: P1 / P2 / P3 / P4, Ginetta G55, Formula 3, Sprintracer, F-Ultimate, F-Reiza
    Tracks: Any, F1 suitable tracks.
    Time Zone: GMT: -3
    Steam Username: nangu

• Like Like x 1
  14. CMLcz

CMLcz New Member

Cars:
    Sprint race, lancer, caterham
    (Two or three class races will be interesting IMHO)
    Tracks:
    Rather European ones, but... ;)
    Format:
    2x20 mins is okay
    Six weeks is way enough. Anyway, I'm personally working every second week...
    Weather:
    Some weather change will be interesting, but wet conditions should be too much challenging. Same with destruction. It's immersing, but for few people it should be sad race.
    Steam: CMLcz
    GMT +1

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the free practice is way too long. 10 to 15 mins is fine. And during the race you can enhance your driving (if the race is not too short).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jan Palach

Jan Palach New Member

CARS: Sprint Race.
    TRACKS: Interlagos, Jerez Moto, Suzuka, Cascavel
    GMT: -3
    Steam Username: palach390

• Like Like x 2
  17. Paul Greenwood

Paul Greenwood New Member

Cars: P1 / P2 / P3 / P4, Ginetta G55,
    Tracks: Any,
    Time Zone: GMT: +1
    Steam Username: The Foo

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Micropitt

If somebody is interested, I have a test server setup and running. I'm now curious if my Internet connection is good enough to handle it.
    The server is in the server list as "Micropitt's Garage". Password: fangio
    Currently the server is setup for a Multiclass race at Interlagos (P1, P2, P3, G55)
    Practice: 10min, Quali: 10min, Race: 10laps

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jugulador

Folks... that do you think about a test session on @Micropitt's server?

The long practice time is better because it both give people time to connect to the server (punctuality is good, but not aways feasible), to help people to warm-up and to give a chance to people do some last minute track learning and car set-ups. If someone think it's too much time, they can enter at the last minutes or simple be there chatting or watching the competition.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Micropitt

Some food for thought......
    We can setup the server 1 day before the race just for practice and everybody can join when time allows. That way everybody has plenty of time to test and practice ;-)