1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula Classic H-Pattern shifting technique

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by InfernalVortex, May 23, 2020.

1. Cliff

Cliff Member

The description is wrong and the car has a simulated H box because every gear change goes through neutral.

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Even though it works fine in other games without needing to manually change a setting in windows? How can we switch from sequentially shifted cars to H-pattern cars in game? There's nothing to it in Assetto Corsa. You can even change modes while driving.

I only miss upshifts in the Formula vintage. I have NEVER missed a downshift, clutch or no clutch. Upshifts are a lot trickier and I use the clutch every time. Just seems really sensitive to timing where as with downshifts, since you're blipping the throttle the thing will slip into gear regardless of the clutch. I use it anyway to stay practiced with my heel toe technique though.

Tons of missed upshifts with the clutch being applied. Missed upshifts with full clutch at 16s, 24s, 30s, and 33s. Clutch is being applied. Note I was demonstrating a bizarre understeering issue which I solved by adding a little more deadzone to my brakes. It was locking up the brakes at low speed without any pressure. So disregard that part. But notice every downshift, even obvious over revs slotted right in no problem. You definitely dont need the clutch for downshifts if you blip the throttle. You dont need them for upshifts either obviously, but upshifts are a lot more difficult to get the timing right.

3. Cliff

Cliff Member

What is so hard about up shifting? Also, I’ve given you the solution for switching between H and sequential in AMS2 and you can change modes while driving so no need for you to make a fuss about it.

4. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Some of the cars, you can physically upshift quicker than the gearbox is currently implemented to allow. With that, you have to be slower and deliberate which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, the AI has no such delay which can put you at a little disadvantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

it's a manual gearbox and older technic which can't shift in 'ms'. Maybe you should shift a little bit slower. Your shifting is like U. Katayama 1993 seen in the video the page before. In the 60's you had much more mechanical mass to move so I don't think that the drivers that time where shifting so fast as Katayama 1993

6. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

In the 60's cars, definitely although the AI still doesn't have that delay as they go through the gears. On the 80's and up H-pattern F1 cars, the sim shift delay is too long at the moment for upshifts.

7. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

May I missunderstood. You mean the AI can fast shift but you can't, the shift simulation is too slow? If so the AI has to shift slower and you should place it into bug report.

8. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I used to write software (not games, but large scale enterprise business systems). I wouldn't call what I described, a 'bug' in the software realm. It would be nice if Reiza is able to have the AI apply a delay with their shifting to match the player. This was something I had reported with the same era cars during PC2. Might be a limitation in the AI coding.

• Informative Informative x 2