1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula-Retro drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Damian Baldi, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Yes, the "amount" of throttle is also critical. However, he just floored it due to frustration. ;)

2. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Differential...
    Namely, coast. The winding of torque in the diff VS the grip on that particular wheel (Left/Right) can pull the car straight, and induce understeer in off throttle situations.
    Weight transfer is only part (Albeit a large one) of the equation.

3. 250swb

250swb Active Member

But this assumes AC is correct. If people refer backwards to older sims then the only thing you get is an old experience, sims should go forward and not repeat the errors of the past. I think there is a problem in the modelling of all the retro/vintage cars (namely default setups) but that isn't to say Rieza are totally off the mark. The 'Tokyo Drift' analogy is a case in point, 1960's F1 cars were not driven fighting the rear end, it is the assumption of some AMS2 sim players they were because they come to it from the wrong direction based an some spurious ill informed expectations based on other sims that were just wrong, or just too easy.

I'm old enough to be the one of the first in with Grand Prix Legends, the fastest times were never based on real car setup parameters, they were based on the sim parameters. If AMS2 can sweep out sim racing assumptions about real life cars then Reiza should take this opportunity, and so should the players.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

And I think there might be an issue, in AMS2 (other cars also but thi
    ese retro more noticably) when you increase coast ramp angle, it should be harder for LSD to lock at corner entry, at 89 very hard, but here it doesnt really work even with low preloads. It almost seems like angles dont do much and you have to go negative on preload to get more rotation, I have never seen in any other sim the need to use negative preload.

5. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Watch the 1967 Grosser Preis von Deutschland or 67 G.P. de Monaco footage on YouTube.
    Plenty of shots showing the cars oversteering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

7. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

This is what I was talking about. I don't know if the others experience the same.

Wings 2F- 8R

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Maser V6

Hi Damian
    Had little time in the retros so far but the first 1 I tried was the lotus and yes this is similar to my first laps at Interlagos historic (default setup) T1 through T2. Little testing done since as I have been trying other stuff. But yes it did break loose in unexpected way.
    Senna video put on just as sidenote on styles. not meant to sidetrack from your Q

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

It was unexpected. Almost like if the rear part of the car bottomed out.

10. Maser V6

Car
    Brabham
    Lower the front 3-4mm raise the rear to 90mm.no other adjustment req
    T1 flat out 280kph over the bumps even with coldish tyres.
    Would explain my Interlagos incident also
    Please try it Damian
    just editing video to show
    The car is too low at rear. may be the same for other retros. More rake helps with over/understeer also imo

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

Mine was at top height at the rear, isn't that. I'll try different things later.

12. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

This exactly, same car/ turn high speed full throttle and snap it's gone.....

McLaren M23 less of a problem but still.

Lifting throttle a few mm steadily is a trick which helped me with the above. But the sudden snap @ full throttle at that speed is not pretty much accurate physically, in my book (stock setup)

I will try Maser V6's setup this weekend, thanks.

Cheers
    Robin

13. Maser V6

Hi Robin. Damian.
    For ref I tried the Brabham full default first, and it was identical reaction to Damians. Just broke lose.
    Just adjusted as stated. Then ran from cold tyres again all three laps and vid lap full throttle. Could be improved upon with further setup without a doubt.

14. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I happened to have a quick go with this track and car combo the day of release before reading this thread, and I had at least one big crash on that bump. I plan to test more over the weekend to get a better idea.

15. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I drove about 300 km this morning in the Lotus72 in Time-trial.
    And had no problems with unpredictable behavior,
    I'm sure its all in the driving and setup.
    This car is in a good balance for me

• Like Like x 2
  16. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I come from GPL as well, and I definitely feel the Formula Vintage is drawing heavily from that philosophy. May or may not really be accurate. I think Assetto Corsa's L49 might be a little closer to reality, but I dont like how it behaves in transient grip-slip states as well as AMS2. I know which is more fun... AMS2... I never got the feeling the 312t drove unnaturally, though, whereas the Formula retros just feel really weird to me. I've gotten used to it and they're still fun, but the constant understeer and sudden snap oversteer is about the fastest way to make it less fun than it should be. But I agree, just because AC does it a certain way doesnt make it correct. I've made the comment before, that with tire model sims, it's possible the unnatural behavior we're experiencing is more accurate than other sims. I've never driven any of these cars in real life, after all...

Default setup?

17. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I only use default if mine doesn't work, so no not default

18. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had my first decent length drive in these cars this evening. Aero balance definitely plays a big part in this, I would have thought 2-8 would be pretty stable (in the M23 at least) but try for example changing the front wing to 1 instead of 2 and it should feel more stable in those fast turns. It will be more understeery in general to though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

You're fast! im always trying to beat your time trials times!

Yeah that's the struggle, to get rid of the high speed snap oversteer, you have to make the low speed understeer so much worse. Messing with the diff and some other things seems to help, but it's a headscratcher to me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Maser V6

Thanks for joining the test race Friday eve.
    sadly somebody or ai had the same issue in this corner, then I hit them!! could not miss.
    Enjoyed the laps in the Brabham even if less than 20 total lol.
    Nice time on TT you 2,
    Back Sat eve for a better race. (after 10 pm uk)

• Like Like x 2