Formula Trainer and tire wear

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by IceCreamKimi, Apr 28, 2018.

1. IceCreamKimi

IceCreamKimi New Member AMS2 Club Member

I was racing the AI today in a 15 lap race around Curitiba and noticed that the AI never had to pit. This was despite the tire wear being set to x7.

I couldn't barely make it half the race distance before my tires were shot. Is there something wrong with the tire wear setting with the Formula Trainer cars or am I just wearing them out too quickly?

2. taylajee

taylajee Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think using x7 for wear multiplier will lead to further disparity among drivers driving style and how fast they wear their tires. So, maybe you abuse yours more than the AI in normal conditions (x1 tire wear), that will lead to even more difference to the AI if conditions set for higher wear multiplier.

3. IceCreamKimi

I understand what you're saying but even driving conservatively it's not possible for me to cover the entire race distance with one set of tires at x7.

Also, when I have pitted for new tires it seems I hardly make up any time on the AI. I'll try another race today and look at the AI lap times to check if there is any drop off in times.

I just get the feeling they don't experience any tire wear at all, or minimal wear at best.

4. Gasper Zupan

Gasper Zupan Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know how the situation is at this stage of development, but I do remember somebody explaining in the past, that AI tire wear is minor or zero. I never put much thinking into this, as I always race sprint races (20 min) with AI. Always with normal tire wear setting.

5. IceCreamKimi

I put x7 tire wear to try to force the AI into a pitstop since mandatory pit stops aren't an option in the game. It seemed to work for other series when I tried it in the past.

Otherwise I run normal tire wear.

6. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This hasn't been the case for a while now, Gasper.

I think there's even an entry in the driver talent files that dictates how kind the AI are to their tyres.

I think there's possibly a value which tells the AI at what percentage of tyre wear to pit at.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gasper Zupan

Gasper Zupan Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice info, thank you.