1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula Ultimate 2022

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Kevin del Campo, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Im actually trying this right now and holy sweet mother of jeebus... :D
    Is there any way to see if you enganged DRS on the steering wheel? Im in VR and dont use any type of HUD beside the mini map for track rejoins.

I recently realised that my seating position has been way to far back, having the steeringwheel up closer is giving a whole new sense of speed and its now actually making me sweat just how fast these cars are as Im slowly creeping toward that 1.15,200...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kevin del Campo

I can only imagine how public F1 servers are, after racing in leagues for years now I wouldnt even think about entering one of those...

Any set up tips youd like to share?

3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Another proof that real life physics are wrong...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Luke Blum

Luke Blum Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I honestly think it's one of the best defaults I've ever driven in this game. And I haven't done any tweaking on it. But if you wanna increase stability in low speed turns, I suppose you could just move brake bias forward a couple clicks, and as far as corner exit, I'd try my hand at actually removing locking from the power ramp (increasing the ramp angle) as generally with the defaults in the game, they have a lot of locking on power. This way you'd be tuning understeer into the car for corner exit.

6. Kevin del Campo

Hey Luke (and Marius) thanks for the anwser!
    My question regarding VR though, was about visual clues when engaging the DRS... Right now Im pressing a button and just guessing DRS is actually active. I do think however, I can actually feel the rear of the car getting lighter under DRS, which imo is a hella good job on the physics engine/FFB! :)

And I totally agree about the default setup so far (at least regarding drivability, not speed), as I think it might actually even be a bit too forgiving, which was my original reason for opening this thread.
    There were just some people recommending tweaking the default setup for more low speed stability.

1.15.200 Also seems quite a bit faster than what they are doing irl at Imola right now btw :) @Marius H

• Like Like x 2
  7. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The two left most LED lights on the RPM bar are for DRS.

When you're in a DRS zone and it's NOT open then the first light is blue.

If you're in a DRS zone and you opened DRS then the two left LED lights turns green letting you know DRS is open.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Kevin del Campo

Thanks! Just checked and it seems to be working the way it should!

• Like Like x 2
  9. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This setup got me in to the 1:15s after a lot of practice...haha. Hope it helps.

20220424102342_1.jpg 20220424102344_1.jpg 20220424102346_1.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Have fun @Kevin del Campo I think if you do some TT. So where nothing matters and you can exploit some stuff, like 5l fuel that never goes empty, etc. You can achieve 1.14.500, etc

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Please please guys, when driving formulas, adjust wing settings according to the tracks before saying the cars have too much grip or don’t feel realistic or whatever sim racers say when comparing sims. The defaults are the best all-arounder we can that works ok at spa and places like azure/monoco.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If I were to compare my own experiences with RF2 and AMS2 (the only sims I really play) I would say that under the limit, Rfactor2 is harder than AMS2 because the tires slide quite easily. However that same sliding actually makes Rfactor 2 easier at the limit because there is more play, where in AMS2 I find it can just go on you. With this car compared to the Frpo I feel that when I am pushing my hardest, I have to use a lot more finesse with inputs where as in Rf2 I feel a bit more like I can wrestle with the car more. Different but both rewarding when you start to improve.

I'm just generalizing and these are my opinions so I am not "King Physics" so do with that what you will. I enjoy both and am a fanboy to none.

13. Kevin del Campo

First off, thanks for the feedback people. I realize this isnt a black and white issue and thats its heavily subjective to boot.

@steelreserv
    This is a great point.
    If default setup is designed to also work on tracks like Azure it makes total sense why its so "easy" to drive the same car on a track like Imola. I hadnt even considered that and would love to try a competative setup for Imola...
    So yeah, patiently waiting for your next video ;)

@Marius H
    Like I mentioned before, I dont care too much about laptimes and leaderboards.
    What I ideally want in a sim, is that my times in the sim compare to the times I would be doing in real life, in the actual car on the actual track.
    Those times should realistically be way off the times that real life F1 drivers are doing, and right now after just a a few hours of practice Im about 2 seconds faster than the current world champ.

Im into the low 1.16s at Imola for the moment and thats with the default setup plus 2 clicks of front downforce and also moving BB one click to the front.
    I realize comparing any current sim to reality is extremely limited because of technical limitations and what I would like might not even work from a marketing perspective.
    I think Jimmy Broadbent was only a second slower then a top tier driver in the BMW Motorsport Simulator, but that was driving a GT3 or GT4 car, Id think the difference would definitly be bigger in an F1 car, even though some people here seem to disagree with me.

I still think that if we as avarage Joes, who have never driven anything close to an actual F1 car can beat the times of our real life counterparts, something might be a little bit off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    I'm no expert, but especially in f1 you're forgetting about the gforces in RL that we don't have to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Not only that. Default setups also have the requirement to work on all control methods and not just top tier steering wheels.

It can't be stressed enough that it makes no sense to set a car up with a hotlap setup by default out of the box, causing the car not being able to be driven consistently for more than 3 laps.

And how good do you think was the track state at this point? Have you tried running these laptimes on a slightly damp track (maybe fast line dried out) without much rubber on slicks? (which you can simulate in AMS2, reminder that the track was still soapy, the notorious white line at Aque Minerali exposing it quite well with the track state)

A thing that definetly needs a tweak are track limits at Imola btw., they're quite exploitable indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Even with a track fully rubbered in, a perfect weather and the knowledge we cannot be harmed, none of us should be faster than a top tier RL pro.

Unless the pretend car is just plain and simple much faster than IRL.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's just not that "plain and simple". There is more to laptimes than just pure grip of a pretend car. I'm not arguing that the car is quicker than real life, i think, it actually is. But it's no indicator of how accurate it drives at the end.

The 2s window, by judging on a transitioning soapy track in real life while smashing 1:15 times in the dry in the sim is also no benchmark.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Yeah too bad the weather was bad in Imola this weekend, i was hoping for some quick times in the dry in qualifying to have a frame of reference for the Gen2 and my own laptimes.

While handling wise it seems to be fine (and it feels great), I also think it is too quick currently, judging by the laptimes of the 2021 car in Imola last year and going by the fact the the 2022 car is slower by 1-2 seconds comparing the times of Bahrain and Jeddah 2021 and 2022.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Kevin del Campo

Ok so let me ask you this... If one were to assume, hypothetically, the sim perfectly replicates real world driving conditions of the car, setup as well as the track, do you think its realistic that we come anywhere near the times our real world counterparts are setting in the highest tier of motorsport?
    Just because we play videogames that resemble driving a racecar?
    Im not trying to troll or anything, this is a genuine question and I think it affects all of simracing, not just AMS2. Are we going for realism or fun? Somewher me in between? Is current tech even capable of simulation the difficulty real life? Theres nothing wrong with either but judging by some of the reactions here people seem to think AMS2 is a 1:1 copy of the real world.
    I know James Baldwin did really well in British GT driving a GT3 car to several podiums, but he seems the exception to the rule so far and F1 is a completely different beast.
    Mazepin wasnt the greatest driver on the roster (to say the least :D), but he has been racing all his life in cars we can only dream of and he wasnt even able to keep the car on track most of the time.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  20. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Abolutely. No time restrictions on testing like in real life, no running costs or repair costs if you wreck, endless sets of fresh tires, no fear of injury or death, therefore you can risk more, no bodily fatigue. Plus the goal in real life basically never is to set the absolute best time ever no matter the cost, you just need to be quicker than the next guy.

In the sim you can basically practice endlessly until you hit the perfect lap because you can go full send on every corner.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1