1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula vintage gen 1 + gen 2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MrX, Nov 7, 2022.

1. MrX

MrX Active Member

Mr Roar Mc Rip Helm

I read your post with great interest, you clearly understand driving these cars. Yesterday I also spent a bit of time adjusting for this car. Could you be so kind as to share a basic setup for us of these amazing cars

• Like Like x 1
  2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

I like these cats too

If I can mention Rf2’s 60’s historic are my favourites

in AMS2’s the cars don’t feel as if they are out to kill the driver like in rf2 , of course they are different/slightly later models

they are still great sim cars but would be good if they could become a little more Ferocious

maybe the default setup is the most stable/slowest?

old real life film footage shows them all over the place
    ( & countless crashes/fire etc )

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is a great quality video for the time of how the cars behaved, you can see some counter steering, specially on the right hander, but they don't seem all over the place and they could correct the car without spinning. Those cars where dangerous indeed, but not because they where impossible to drive, more because of how unsafe they and the circuits were. Watching some videos I think the 70s cars slide much more than the 60s.

AC Ferrari 312 is actually quite similar to AMS, just more unstable on braking and like already mentioned more engine braking, but on throttle and mid corner they feel pretty similar. RF2 is the worst IMHO, very twitchy and way too sensitive on throttle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Apex

Apex Active Member

I think this is very well put, and very consistent with Sir Jackie Stewart's take on driving that generation of formula cars:

:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't hand out compliments until you've seen me drive! ;):D

On that note, here's how I drive the Formula Vintage G1M1 at Brands Hatch, Time Trial mode:

(I used a SimHub inputs overlay that also shows my pedal and steering inputs in the bottom left corner - hopefully that will help you a bit more understanding how I drive)

Hmm... watching my pedal inputs in that video, it turns out that I don't trailbrake at all. I guess I have a lot to improve on!

I've mostly been using the default setup and adapted my driving style to it.
    But if I want the car to get more lively, I can:
    • Decrease diff preload significantly
    • Increase diff coast angle significantly
    • Brake bias slightly more to the rear
    The challenge with that setup, though, is that you have to apply much more maintenance throttle upon corner entry so that the car doesn't spin (much like what you have to do with the Formula Vee)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

BTW (and off topic), everybody should watch "Weekend of a Champion" from the poster behind Sir Jackie in that video, it's great.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Road Animal

Road Animal New Member

I hold around 125 world records in time trial for this class of car , a few were broken last night I will be attempting to take back again soon off my strong competition , in the back and forth battles we are in.
    I am obviously qualified to help with any tips , I have not read over all the comments yet , I'm sure there is good advice
    I apply the same setup principles I apply to any car , it's all the same , in general for this specific vehicle class I stiffen the rear end very stiff , and balance the suspension via the front end , the diff settings are very important to get your entry and exit speeds , if anyone has specific questions I can go into detail on any aspect of setup.
    "Road Animal"

8. Road Animal

Road Animal New Member

The one thing I really dislike about AMS2 is public setups , some use an exploit to not post their setups , to me the very heart of racing is secrecy around setups , teams do not ever share setups.
    My setups are all there , only one person I know has used my setups to beat my time by a few hundreds of a second on ovals , I do not even feel like chasing those ones.
    Loading setups teaches you nothing about the process of how they were achieved , everyone should learn all aspects of car setup , it is key to being fast.
    This class is the only class I will be sharing setups in.

• Disagree Disagree x 1