1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOV / seat position

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by CreamyCornCob, Apr 7, 2020.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Since the thread topic mentions seat position, is there any chance we will be able to hold down buttons to adjust seat position instead of having to press the buttons repeatedly? PLEASE? :)

I know it's a relatively small thing, but it was one the most annoying aspects of pCARS 2. Pressing the "seat back" button 25+ times just to get a good position seems a bit much. Literally ALL my other sims allow you to hold down the buttons to move the seat around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

hFOV (in AMS2) section was being used when I ran them. And PC2 (hFOV) for Modern FOV Calculator as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. museumsteve

museumsteve New Member AMS2 Club Member

This gives a FOV of 171 using triples? How can this be right? AMS2 doesn't go that high.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve New Member AMS2 Club Member

Scratch that..worked it out.

5. herakles

herakles Member

I've calculated everything with the help of online calculators, in the end, I came up with a solution based on this resource:

I do have a triple screen setup and I think, my hardware is set fine right now. But then, there is this FOV-setting in AMS2. Since there is no manual, I had to stick to what some forum members tell and what's written in this very thread as well.

In the end, I came up with a simple comparison. I adjusted FOV inside AMS2 to the two extremes (32 and 114) and compared by driving and sheer vision. The result is this video:

On the left, you see FOV set to 114, on the right you see FOV set to 32. I drove on the same track twice and tried to be comparable with regard to speed that I drive.

In the end - well, the left vision looks A WHOLE LOT faster (check the trees passing by...), while the right one seems to be more realistic, if you compare to this video:

In that real video (although it is a much more modern car), the driver has to move his head in order to see the mirrors. So do I in FOV set to 32. But it seems so damn slow if I use this "32" in AMS2, I wouldn't want to use it.

I can't get clear, why ther sensation of speed gets so drastically lost when setting FOV to lower values or why it seems to much faster, I you set it high.

In the end, I will come up with a solution somewhere in between, maybe 80 or so. But still, this si making me wonder a lot.

Greetings,
    Herakles

6. FaanBE

FaanBE Member

The real life video is not a good reference. What we see in the video is not necessarily what the driver actually sees. The video is just the same as with your FOV settings. You can have different FOV's depending on the type of lens that is used on the camera to film it.
    Sense of speed is mostly realised by the moving objects in your peripheral view. That's why you get that sense of speed more when it's a wider FOV, cause then the edges/sides of the image is what your eyes should be seeing in the peripheral part.
    My screen is too far away to set to a realistic FOV, that would be very much forward/'zoomed in' leaving me without any peripheral sight, so I need to set FOV wider then real life a bit. Unless when I'm in VR of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Try 68

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024