1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSR for OpenVR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, Jul 9, 2021.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

AMS2 / PCARS2 uses an ancient version of OpenVR from just before a change in the API that broke backwards compatibility. That's why adding support originally required a separate version of the mod and wasn't merged into the main code.

I don't have the time to work on this currently but someone did contact me today about the code I wrote so they might be able to produce something that works for the new mod...

• Like Like x 7
  2. BobS

BobS New Member

3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. BobS

BobS New Member

5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Its a pity the vrperfkit doesn't work for non Oculus headsets in AMS2. I have been experimenting with the Fixed Foveated rendering in DCS and ACC and it adds about 15% to my performance. Add to that the radius setting for the upscaling as well and its much better than the original modded fsr utility that does work for AMS2 (Thanks to NuScorpii) for non Oculus Headsets.

Its a real struggle to get AMS2 smooth at night or during thunderstorm without Motion reprojection (which for me doesn't work that well in racing sims as much as it seems to for flight sims) so was wanting to see if the vrperfkit extra functionality might help. Mind you, I'd need about a 40% boost to maintain 90fps at my current settings in the worst case scenarios.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

Let's not forget although its a pity we currently cannot use the latest releases the one on this original post is still a solid alternative. That's what i'm using until hopefully someone from the community can help get these newer modes working and let the devs know what is needed for future versions

7. DutchFireMan

DutchFireMan New Member

does the first frs mod still works? The one from nuscorpii?

8. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Greg D

Greg D New Member

Hello, I'm new. I am wanting to install the vrperfkit, but the installation instructions seem like some steps are missing:

"Extract `dxgi.dll` and `vrperfkit.yml` next to the game's main executable. (easy enough)
    For Unreal Engine games, this is typically `<Game>Game\Binaries\Win64\<Game>Game-Win64-Shipping.exe`. (what? My game is in steam/steamapps/common/Automobilista 2/)

## Build instructions (ignore?)

Clone the repository and init all submodules. (not sure?)

Download the [Oculus SDK](Oculus Developer Center | Downloads)
    and extract `LibOVR` from the downloaded archive to the `ThirdParty` folder. (i assume they mean put the file in the main game folder?)

Run cmake to generate Visual Studio solution files. Build with Visual Studio." (no idea?)
    (I assume the x86 folder gets dropped into the main game folder)

Any help is appreciated. I don't want to mess up.

10. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Hey, welcome! You only need to do the first step (copy the 2 files).

Note: People have reported it works with Oculus, but not with other headsets in SteamVR - for those, use the FSRVR mod linked in the first post of the thread.

11. Greg D

Greg D New Member

Thank you! I should have mentioned, I do have an Oculus. I did the mod from the first link on the first page. I can't confirm if it worked, since I didn't check the data. Side note....I tried force running through SteamVR, and it looked much worse. The pixels were flickery and it looked overall like an older game. Going back to the oculus was sooo nice, with realistic colors.

12. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

I tried this with exact same settings and honestly I am shocked that it looks much better than native Steam VR SS 100% and game specific SS 90%. Usually I hate FSR/DSSL but with these settings you cant see FSR. Steam VR SS 100% and game specific SS 180% and game looks stunning, super crisp, sharp and locks at 90 FPS. GPU (3080 Ti) is only at 70-75% usage with 12 cars clear weather daytime of course. Rain it was 70 FPS in race with 12 cars.

Edit: I used the exact same method and settings (Steam VR SS 100% and game specific 180%) for Asetto Corsa Competitione with this file and it works like charm. Looks great and I cant notice FSR. Maybe all this is well known but for me was new :D Ingame ACC FSR looks terrible to me no matter if Ultra Quality.

Is this also available for Assetto Corsa?

Edit: Ok AC looks bad with this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  13. Rob Davies

Good to hear you’re getting good results - I wrote the doc so glad it's helping people.

I’m forever hopeful that the FSR mod tool will be updated to include FFR (fixed foveated rendering) as should bring even more benefit. perhaps we can all chip in $10 to @NuScorpii to make it worth his while.

Reading the msfs2020 forums it also seems nvidia are trying to make it easier to integrate DLSS and other RTX features into games with an intermediate renderer that doesn’t require direct implementation into the game engine. Hopefully this might lead to something too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

Thanks for that guide! I was so suprised because as I was configuring it I was sure it will look like crap since FSR/DLSS does so and I was sure I will go back to standard settings after testing it. It does not even make sense that it looks better than native because FSR is downscaling, then upscaling, then we supersample it with 180%. But the result speaks for it self. I did a 10 laps 13 cars race in AMS2 yesterday on Bathurst and Laguna Seca (clear weather 8 am in the morning) just to be sure it is true and it ran locked at 90 FPS while GPU usage was between 75-85% (no OC). And everything looks super crisp.

I have to try ACC with and without to be sure but from my testing yesterday it also looked at least as good as native 100% Steam VR SS but it was locked at 90 FPS on a 12 cars race and GPU was between 85 to 95% while with Steam VR SS 100% and no mod I get 75-80 FPS with the same settings. Had some frame drops under 90 FPS for a second or so but nothing wild. Motion smoothing is off on both games. I just wonder if we can get the same result in ACC if we set FSR ingame to 0.6 (must be performance mode?) and then use supersampling in Steam VR game specific setting at 180%?

Assetto Corsa on the other hand looked worse. You could clearly see the FSR and also AC has problems with flickering, no matter how high the supersampling or Anti Aliasing. Running it at 8xAA, Steam VR SS 100% and game specific 200% and still edgy and flickering.

I am following all the mods around Flight Simulator as well and FFR sounds very promising. I can sacrifice 10 bucks if we can get this feature to our favorite sims :D

15. Rob Davies

Yeah, great isn't it! Just need the Reiza/SMS gang to fix the 'compounding light/shadows' fps killer problem that's well known so night/wet works well without having to drop the settings.

By the way, here's the info on the new NVIDIA Streamline SDK tech for ease of integrations if @NuScorpii or even the Reiza Devs @Renato Simioni @CrimsonEminence could evaluate and see whether it's an easier route to bring DLSS to AMS2? GitHub - NVIDIAGameWorks/Streamline: Streamline Integration Framework

e42e20a1ed78c9211f2c8b678b68cb30163651da.jpeg

OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

• Like Like x 7
  16. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What is the "compounding light/shadows" FPS killer problem?
    Is it the reason why I can drive at night or rain against 32 AI opponents with my high-end-PC and Pimax 8k+ (small FOV setting only) at constant fluid 70 FPS (70 Hz) only when I'm the last in the field (although everyone has the headlights on) but as soon as I overtake someone and have other cars behind me I get huge FPS-drops and suttering unplayable gameplay? Thought it would be the mirrors, so I turned them completely off (just for testing) but the problem didn't vanish... At daytime on sunny conditions I have no problems at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rob Davies

Exactly that yes… I suspect shadows from multiple AI car headlights result in a shedload of computational overhead when frankly I’d be happy if they didn’t cast shadows…. Or only the one immediately behind you did. If this could be made a config option and delivers the benefit I hope then it’ll be all the VR users Xmas and birthdays coming at once.

I’ve been bleating on about it for a while as I’d love to run one config for all conditions, but currently it’s about a 50% overhead to run at night/wet so end up restarting game if I know the weather/time of day needs a change. Not easy in public lobbies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For the first time ever I will try FSR for Automobilista 2 and my Pimax 8K+.
    So, all I have to do is download the zip-file from the opening post and copy the files to the Automobilista2/x64-folder, right?
    I read somewhere that I should undo the sharpening trick in the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml but I don't know what the original values were. I changed them long time ago to do the sharpening-trick.
    Does anyone know which values I should set to the 3 following values to UNDO the sharpening?
    sharpeningstrength=???
    sharpeningclamp=???
    offsetbias=???

19. Rob Davies

Yes - instructions in doc in my sig.

I set the AMS sharpening to 0 but some prefer to do a little in there (say 0.5) and the rest post upscale (in FSR xml). Depends on your preference/headset.

Good luck!

20. Rob Davies

Also @mike if you delete the graphicsconfig xml thing it’ll create a new one with defaults on next load of game.