1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Chit-Chat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrimsonEminence, Sep 12, 2024.

1. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I only bought the FSR because it was €100 CHEAPER than GS (both new item, of course).
    It was a hell of a deal... but I don't even look at the LCD... :confused:
    If only I could use custom displays... as it is, is worthless to me.

2. Jagdomatic

Jagdomatic New Member

Greetings! I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this topic, but I'd like to talk about the engine used in the Mercedes CLK-LM. As far as I know, there have been serious discussions online regarding the engine used in the car during the 1998 GT1 season. It is already known that the car was powered by an engine based on the M119, which was also used in the Sauber C9. However, there are videos of the car that clearly indicate the engine had a flat-plane crankshaft (unlike the cross-plane crankshaft in the C9). Despite this, both in Project Cars and AMS2 (and also in Gran Turismo 7), the CLK-LM is depicted with a cross-plane crankshaft. However, this [link] explains that the CLK-LM's engine actually had a 180-degree (flat-plane) crankshaft.
    Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR: A Race Car You Can Drive on the Street

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

My favorite piece of hardware for long long time would be probably my Frex+ Neo Classic I bought a couple of months ago. I was using a Fanatec V1.5 shifter for years with all the headaches so and then. With my Frex shifter I finally can shift with trust, confidence and calmness of mind. It feels great too. Bonus is that it's awesome to have something in my possession that's been fabricated and assembled in Japan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

GT7 is a car encyclopedia and Polyphony/Kaz are perfectionists when it comes to car detail and info, so I doubt they could get that info wrong, but it can happen to the best of us.

But with a short read about engines, a cross plane crankshaft would make more sense for an endurance racecar, due to producing more torque at lower RPMs and having more durability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

These CLK-LMs (you can tell they are not CLK GTRs, because of the "misaligned" headlights) sound different from the Goodwood one, for what it's worth

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jagdomatic

Jagdomatic New Member

I guess the CLK-LM was powered by a cross-plane V8 engine for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the crankshaft configuration may have been changed during the GT1 Championship.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2024 at 8:42 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. T.Ives

T.Ives Professional Dilly Dallier

Think everyone has given up hope that 1.6 is anytime soon and gone back to playing other games instead of F5ing the forums waiting for updates.
    I have (mostly)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Greenblob

Greenblob New Member

I really like my DIY load cell brake. Was a fun project. Was supposed to be a short term filler thing while I talked myself into justifying the $ for a "proper" loadcell pedal upgrade, but after the tweaks I'm super happy with it. A few generational mods along the way but has been going strong well over a year now. A cheap Arduino pro micro, four 25kg loadcells (100kg total), a bit of massaged online code a few hacked together brackets/woodworking/mounting solutions. Total parts cost $18 haha. Works like a dream and feels awesome. Love it cause it looks like crap, but works great. Dollarstore Motorsport at it's best.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Marius H

That looks amazing, mate. Wish I was such a technical knowhow-guy. I loved to see the pictures!

10. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This has nothing to do with any of the topics here... But I've been playing TOCA Race Driver 3 recently and this has been a massive reality check about how good sims are today because frankly it's an amazing game absolutely ruined by bad physics. Not only unrealistic, but just down-right frustrating.

The game is understeer city, the only way you can turn is by accelerating it's so frustrating. If you're coasting all the car will want to do is go straight in just about everything you can drive. It's so hard to be smooth in the game too, I limited the rotation of my wheel to 540 degrees and still feel like I have to constantly use extreme steering movements just to simply make a corner. Such a shame because it genuinely has one of the best car/track lists of any racing game out there, but actually playing the game is a chore.

11. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You should play it with a controller, its more bearable that way, but its still pretty bad driving wise. Plus the AI had some rather nasty rubberbanding, which made it a very frustrating experience overall. The Grid games were better IMHO, but also did suffer from bullsh!t AI on the fastest classes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Marius H

Griid 1 is still a favourite of mine. Great game. 2 and Autosomething not so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There were different entries - CLK-LM ran the crossplane first (Le Mans) and later the flatplane V8 was introduced together with some other changes to comply with FIA GT1.

AMS2 CLK-LM is the first crossplane crank iteration (most info on that car in house) but without ABS to meet the GT1 regulation of the car field in the game. There could be a point be made to introduce an extra Le Mans version with ABS, but i can't promise this at this point in time.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Just enable ABS in the assists menu when you drive the CLK-LM :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Surprisingly, cruising around in my dream cars in Forza Horizon 5 is quite good fun. Also been getting back into rally sims.

16. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Marcas touring cars in AMS1...surprisingly lairy for being FWD. Unfortunately if they are ever planned to be in AMS2, they would be queueing in line for quite a while, as IMSA, USA & Adrenaline 2 DLCs would have to come first

17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

And historic Le Mans

18. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Ah yes, that, the accompanying cars, and possibly the 2025 Stock Car Brasil as well...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any version with Les Hunaudières without chicanes would be quite something now the low-downforce versions of the group C cars got sorted out, gonna be quick when at 100% boost :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mirko Pricoco

Mirko Pricoco Active Member

What? Is there a 1.6 version coming? OMG :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 5