1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard/Softs Tyres

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by mehdis6k9, May 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mehdis6k9

mehdis6k9 New Member

Hello there !
    I played PCars 2 for a very long time since it's release, and one of the issues with it was : Hard tyres were faster in almost every condition.

Now comes AMS 2, and it's really good, the driving feels excellent... to a certain extent.
    The thing is, it requires the same driving techiques as PCars2 to be fast here, and the same setup tweaks, including, putting hard tyres (i got 2 and a half seconds faster on Suzuka in the Formula Ultimate, and i gained a lot of time in other tracks, check the Formula Ultimate leaderboards.), and make my driving very aggressive (like, over turning the wheel). The car feels planted, the esses of Suzuka are almost full flat.

So here's my point, i want the game to progress in the right direction, these are just my feelings about it (and i tried only the modern formula cars), and i want to give a feedback, as an "all sim" player. Is the car supposed to drive like this ? Are the softs supposed to be almost useless ? If i'm being wrong on certains points, feel free to correct me. And have a nice day!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

In RL soft tyres are not always the automatic best for fast lap times. The softer they are they easier they are to overheat, and the hotter they get above their ideal operating temperature the poorer they perform. Given that you say you are driving extremely aggressively, this could well be what is happening.

Also, driving aggressively being "necessary" is not unusual in any sim for the "best" times. There's a big difference between hotlapping for the ultimate time and actually racing. That's why you rarely see qualifying times equalled in a race, because if you're taking care of your car and tyres, you simply can't drive that aggressively for a whole race.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mehdis6k9

mehdis6k9 New Member

That's what i was thinking, but isn't it a bit "too much" ? The differences shouldn't be so big, i really feel like the softs have better braking / longitudinal grip, and the hards have better cornering / lateral grip.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Madonion

Madonion Member

Since when do you guys have the option of changing tires? i only have automatic and slicks. Let me go look now that the game did an update..

ahh brain fart. only in formula class. lol.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1