1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Does AMS2 drivers really want to race online?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by roszman, Feb 26, 2023.

1. roszman

roszman Well-Known Member

Congrats on your win ;)

AAI skill is based on drivers AAI skill average and imo this is the fairest approach.

It's exciting to be in the lead and have opponents quite close behind you, but if they are far away then it can become boring too, even more boring than being on last position, you can spin multiple times and still be first.
    By racing last you never know what will happen, I had few races where I finished 4th instead of last due to my oponents mistakes.

There is not right answer here, but I prefer do give people challenge instead of warm fuzzy feeling ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

From looking at the standings it seems there are a few more drivers competing. Hopefully this will mean some more competition between humans and also the AI of there are 3 or 4 players per race.

I think increasing the number of races a day helped. Good job @roszman

• Like Like x 2
  3. roszman

• Like Like x 5
  4. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

@roszman
    Thanks for not doing anything stupid in the last lap, despite you were much faster than me.:)
    Appreciate that.

RCO is the ideal tool for me. Jump into a race on demand when there is a timeslot, and now bringing the kid to bed.

• Like Like x 3
  5. roszman

Ahh, it was you :) couldn't catch you. Who knows what would happen in lap or two? Maybe something stupid :D

Thanks for race! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

Very interesting to see, and good participation with 87 responses! My hot take:

The results mostly left out the "low/no downforce" and FWD/AWD categories of racecars, with exception of the G40 Cup, which was a popular choice in rookies. Mini JCW and the Caterhams also got some votes (but not my beloved Copa Classics :(). I hope that some low downforce and FWD cars make it in to the mix somewhere, since they have unique handling compared to the GT, formula, and prototype cars that are more popular. I think AMS2 is particularly strong compared to other sims in these types of cars, whereas it has trouble competing with ACC in the GT class, for example.

FWIW, I think the Supersport is the best Caterham. The Academy has too little grip, which you can see by comparing it to other sims and from the lap records, which are a few seconds slower than real life. I think the Supersport is easier to drive, faster, and more fun - but this is just the raving of one lunatic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. roszman

Yep, participation was quite good. I would like to see the same numbers on RCO :)

Thanks for your toughts, when you look at RCO standings you will see that F3 is less popular than Copa, quite contrary to the survey results.

Idk, since RCO have enough horse power to host races every 1h for all AMS2 classes, then I dont think we should be too shy while adding new race series ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I think F3 is less popular because the initial schedule. I was able to drive the F3 combo only when you set it every 4 hours instead 24, but I could be wrong as always :p

About Copa Classics, my preferred car is the Chevette, I don't like the FWD cars. That leaves me thinking about a RWD h-pattern kind of series where you can climb a ladder in difficulty. May be only for a week in between seasons?

I mean, for example:

Rookie: Copa Classics Chevette
    Bronze: German Group A cars
    Silver: Procar
    Gold: Group C

etc etc.

I know manual cars are not a cup of tea for everybody, that's why I think a kind of special event is more suitable for those.

New week, time to learn and do clean laps again :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. roszman

Thanks for input ;)

These are cool ideas for race series, for sure I will use them.

I am not so sure about 1 week long season, for now I would stick to 6 week long season.
    It doesnt mean that you cant jump between series, you can earn your license after few clean races and hop in to higher race series

10. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

@roszman
    I just got promoted to bronze.:)

You can release bronze events now.:D:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

I was thinking of a similar "no downforce manual" series:
    Ginetta G40
    Copa Classics B
    Caterham Supersport
    Lancer R
    GT Classics
    Group A

Or something like that. I could see it extending with the M1 ProCar and Group C like you described.

The Copa Classic FWD cars take some getting used to, but they are tons of slidy fun once you catch on. Treat them like rally cars: just floor it to get out of trouble, and don't take your foot off the gas unless there is a compelling reason to do so. The back end will go whither it fancies, but you can kind of ignore it as long as the front wheels are continuing to pull you in the right direction. If there's a difficult turn where you're ending up backwards (turn 1 Londrina Long), brake earlier and stay on the gas through that section, or even do some light braking while you're on the gas. After you learn to overdrive it, you can scale back a little to go faster.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Yes of course, I was thinking about one week only special events in between (or held at the last season's week) seasons to avoid saturating the season with races may be few people will want to actively take part of, but at the end could be interesting from the fun factor now and then.

On a side note, Do you plan to add scheduled events for Bronze license in the coming weeks, or is it better to stick with only rookie events in order to don't spread the playerbase?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I need to revisit those FWD cars for sure. Last time I drove the Gol and the Uno was almost two years ago, and they were understeer under throttle, oversteer when lift off, and spin while cornering.

Ultimately I figured out how to drive clean with them, but they are not for me despite having tracked my FWD cars for real. It's just a matter of preferences, to me a racing car needs to be RWD, and mid mounted engine if it's possible :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. roszman

Yep I'm going to add bronze and silver series in the following days/weeks.
    Currently I am building a mechanism for random track selection, something which will consider track region, track grade, current season of the year and race license level (@Coldsalmon for now it's easier for me this way) to choose good enough tracks for race series - I dont want to select tracks manually for each new series and for every RCO season.
    I will start to add new race series just after that ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. roszman

Cool hints, I'll check them out :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Grrr. I’ve got to go away for work for a couple of weeks at the end of next week, leaving only a little time for racing next week…if I’m lucky. On the upside, it looks like I’ll be returning to a new series or two - so long as I don’t demote myself back down to rookie before then:D

The random track selection mechanism sounds like a smart idea, hopefully it will lighten your workload, at least a little. Is there anything you can do to ensure there aren’t any crazy combinations - no one has mentioned wanting trucks so I’m sure we’ll be safe from Trucks around Monaco/Azure:eek: but you know what I mean:p

• Like Like x 1
  17. roszman

yeah, life :p
    don't worry, such break will only make future races more fun.

Good point, let's keep an eye on it together and we'll adjust if needed ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. DazzyD70

DazzyD70 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi @roszman - don't know if it's just me, but racecraft.online showing all race series as having past dates for me. I try and register for a race and it spins for a bit then gives up. I've logged out, then back in again and hasn't changed. Eg, the F-3 showing the next race at 15.00.

Edit: practice sessions seem ok for me.

19. roszman

Thx for info ;)

I am already fixing that. It should be all good after 18:30 utc

• Like Like x 3
  20. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Wanted to do my usual 7 p.m. (CET) P4 race. Not possible, so watching TV with the family now.:p