1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP Reverb 2 with a 1080TI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bull Shark, Jul 4, 2023.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Reading this i couldn't stop myself from smiling. Congrats mate, what a machine :cool:

Oops....misread, i thought you pulled the trigger. Well keep an eye on it but by the time your ready there may be something even better available.

Also, for gaming there really isn't any need for the 7950x3d, just get the 7800x3d save a tonne of money, the 2nd CCD doesn't even have the 3d cache on the 7950x3d.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Haha no It was just a quick pc build. But something like this it will be. When I have some free money to spend , I’ll see what is hot or not. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

That's a nice build. I hope the wife gave you permission... Maybe it's time to hide somewhere for a couple of days, hehe.

My build might be my last 'high-end' pc. Will see how long AMS 2 will last, and what's next. I am not playing AAA or modern games anymore.

4. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

FWIW, I'm using a rift S with i5 7600k and gtx 1070 and driving force GT - and playing on a desk.

All want an upgrade it's just deciding what order to upgrade them or whether to do them all at once.

And there's really no performance problem in AM2. In fact it's incredible how good AM2 is in VR. I find it works better on lower res headset if you've something to look at in the mid distance, other than staring into the more blurry distance. Put a few AI cars in, or a ghost or 2 if you're hot lapping and chase them around the track and it's brilliant you soon forget the resolution (it's like in 1993 I wasn't looking at doom running at 320x240 caring that it wasn't 1080p I was just completely absorbed by the game - If I had a time machine I'd forget all this killing hitler and buying MS shares and instead go back to 1993 and they'd be "Greetings future guy. What's it like in the future? Do you have flying cars? Have you cured cancer?" and I'd show them Doom Eternal and they'd be gobsmacked and then I'd say "In the future we spend most of our time online saying how games that look like this suck" :D)

I had a much harder time with AC in VR, I could basically do driving around on track by myself or a quick race against 5 or 6 AI and the settings were really dialed down to low or disabled. And it'd still be 45fps at times. ACC the same - I got it in the humble bundle and they'd run out of AM2 keys, so I tried it (knowing that everyone says it has issues in VR) I could just about get hot lapping an empty track but they really munged their VR settings so if you pick 'VR low' it's blurry and awful you have to manually set everything and there's no chance of doing races on my hardware.

But, if you got the headset I think you'd have a reasonable to excellent experience depending on how you play the sim. Your 1080ti should drive a higher resolution headset than my 1070 all else being equal.

But yeah, I want to get to 13600f/ 4070, DD wheel (probably moza) and some higher resolution VR - It's just whether I have to get them all at once or which piece(s) to start with if I do them in some order. One thing with DD is I want better braking and that probably means getting a rig rather than using my desk. In fact the 40 series suckage is partly why I haven't already upgraded...I'd prefer to wait and see what the 50 series is like. I mean spending close to £600 for a GPU wasn't on my todo list which is why I didn't get a 3060 ti during the zombie apocalypse either. Although I see 4070 dropping closer to £500 now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Member AMS2 Club Member

My 66O0k with 2070 runs AMS2 surprisingly well in vr with the original oculus Rift smooth locked 90fps with shadows and reflections off or low as possible.Iv tried my g2 set to the rift resolution and it looks better and performs great .Remember resolution can be lowered as much as you want to many people go mad with supersampling then complain about performance.Your 1080ti is similar or slightly faster than my 2070 .It won't be pretty but it will be smooth and the racing us just the same

• Like Like x 1
  6. thun0r

thun0r New Member

Am using a Vive Pro with gear VR mod and firmware change mod (no screen door effect and crystal clear visuals).

That's being powered by an undervolted overclocked 3080 FTW3 (1950Mhz at 875mV),a 10900k OC'd @ 5.1 and 64GB RAM (can't remember the frequency atm).

Everything on high (shadows on Med) no OpenXR and I can get smooth 90fps no drops.

When it rains I can still achieve that frame rate BUT I have to limit the cars on track to 10, same as night time.

Being told to buy a 4090 to play on anything over low settings shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

Your comparing a vive pro resolution to a Reverb G2!
    I said the 3080 does run it but after speaking to @Bull Shark about his previous experience going to 1080p triples down from 1440p triples I have a feeling he would want to run the Reverb at native at least and a 3080 DOESNT run that at a solid 90Hz unless you want to onky run in the dry during the day.

Telling people they can run a Reverb G2 on a 3080 after having no experience with a G2 shouldn't be taken seriously.

Also show me where I said a 4090 was NEEDED?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Active Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

FYI a year ago on my old system running a 1070 TI I was able to run AMS2 with 10 cars on my Pimax 8K with an average of 80FPS aside from night or rain races. More cars are consuming more resources, which is overkill on the 1070 AFAIK. Once lower than 80FPS however it gave me too much stutter and that resulted in a rollercoaster effect mentally.

At this moment I'm using the 4090 as the upgrade was welcome after 7 years on my older machine. While it comes at a cost, I really enjoy VR now to the point that realism comes close.
    The VR center function is mapped to a button on my rig so I can always center myself perfectly inside the car in case my VR set has a bit drifting on long +2 hour sessions.

I believe a 3080 is a good entry-level on most VR headsets if you are willing to compensate for some HQ graphics or too many visible cars on track. A lot depends on settings as well, user A and B with the same system can have different results aside from the headset requirements.

A lot depends on the CPU as well, in my early days I did a test on two motherboards/CPUs with the same 1070. The difference was more unstable FPS on the lower spec CPU vs the higher one, which is logical. I had some frame drops or small freezes on my first explorations at the lowest-spec PC system. For example, moving your head fast to the left would give a stutter.

If there is no option for upgrading a low-spec system (< 3080), you can still do a practice stint with almost no cars or just solo on the track. It's very nice driving an open-wheeler and exploring the tracks as you go, the VR headset gives you a helmet feeling for free.
    When the sun flares surround your helmet, or you watch a bit over your shoulders to one side of the cockpit, quickly check in the mirrors, etc.
    It's a very nice experience I would miss at this moment, now I'm used to it and keep my eyes more on the road as I was looking around in my early sessions way too much. :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  9. thun0r

thun0r New Member

Clearly not aware, the elitist snobbery in your posts is off the chart! A modded Vive pro with pancake lenses and customer firmware has a better display of visuals than a G2. I've used a G2, Valve Index and a Quest 2. A friend of mine had a modded Vive pro and told me to try it for a week. I was gobsmacked as to blew all the others out of the water visually. No screendoor, no halos, blacks are pure, FOV is great.

Capital letters, we're getting serious now. I can't quote you but there is heavy emphasis on the 4080 for VR getting the best results in AMS2 which is simply not true or close to it.

I used a G2 with a 2080ti with OpenXr and was getting 85-90fps constant, all on medium, shadows on low, 20 cars (day time only). The CPU was an OC'd 8700k at 5GHz. You can squeeze even more FPS out of games if you don't install all NVIDIA bloatware (if you're team green), by using the NVCleanstall method so only the barebones driver is installed. To be honest I recommend doing that no matter what car you have unless you are CPU bound then there's no point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bull Shark

I finally have my new pc up and running. The RTX was holding back the delivery. But finally they could deliver it. Had a 4090 in mind but bought a 4080 super instead.

see my sig for the complete pc. Quest 3, is a bit delayed due to unforeseen health issues of my dog.
    But today I could test the PC in all its glory. Man o man I had not expected this leap forwards.
    With my old pc (i7-8700k & GTX 1080ti) I could not race in the rain due to FPS drops. During a start, the FPS could drop even below 45 FPS. So I never drove during rain or/and night.
    Now with my new pc, I have set all ingame settings to the max.
    when I race with a Full grid, rain, night and during the start, The FPS won’t drop below the max of my screen 165hz. I have testen several tracks and car combos. But it won’t drop below the 165FPS.
    I really did not expected such power. I’m very pleased. Now I certainly want the Quest 3. :D

anyway, happy racing..:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

So good mate, love just setting games to full max settings and getting solid frame rates. I hope you like the Quest 3, I've heard good things. I've thought about grabbing one but I don't do wifi so the cable seems hig and miss. But with WMR being a dead platform I do need another HMD by 2026 it seems.
    Congrats mate, that is a sweet build.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

regards from a fellow 4080SUPER owner. you are going to love the VR experience with it, trust me because I reaaaaaaaaaaaally do:D

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Bull Shark

Thanks m8. I’m pleased with the system indeed. :D
    I don’t do WiFi neither. I’ll will use a link cable. Should be ok as far as I’ve read from the reviews. I really won’t know which other VR has pancake lenses and is wired by default. The primax is way beyond budget.

thanks. Will be a huge upgrade from my old system with a Rift CV1. :D Can’t wait to dive back in VR racing again. For me the way to go.:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Pico NEO3 link is your answer
    Cheap headset run VR through steam can use openxr hack and with DP cable the picture quality will blow you away I am sure

• Informative Informative x 1