1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by gian, Nov 19, 2021.

1. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No I didn't - I quoted JavierZumaeta's question about multi-class - but never mind, no harm done.

Re: your point on F-Classic Gen 4 AI - I'm not surprised that AI does not map very well to the ovals. I don't know if you're using any of my files, but I definitely haven't tested any F1 cars on ovals and probably never will. It's already time consuming enough testing them on the tracks they actually raced on. They would likely need track-specific overrides to re-balance pace between the models (which I sometimes do for some tracks like Hockenheim, etc) - but from what you are saying it sounds like even that wouldn't be enough for ovals.

I'm hoping there will continue to be more AI improvements and balancing in the pipeline from Reiza in the future, including re: oval performance/behaviour.

2. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Sorry, but could not see any quote in your post, but nevermind. ;)

I have my own custom files.
    But even when there is just one car within a class like in the Stock Cars 86, the AI tends to build a pack/train, which they do not on other tracks when you have made some drivers very fast and others slow.

3. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

Is there a way to prevent using same AI driver name when setting up custom grids? For example, I tried setting up a Custom Championship using Carrera Cup cars (22 total liveries) and I created a custom grid with AI names, with different names attached to the same livery, since I needed 30 total drivers. However, when I created the Championship with 30 drivers, the entries with the same livery will also show the same name, rather than taking the second name I created. Is it possible to run custom AI grid with more drivers than liveries and not use the same driver name? Or are we limited to the amount of liveries.

4. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

To confirm, do you want two custom AI drivers to use the same livery? I tried that recently, and no, it didn't work. I believe each driver has to have it's own livery.

5. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  6. JavierZumaeta

Hi guys, another question. Thank you Jusk and all you guys for your help!

When selecting "Max Available" when setting up a race, does that refer to the number of liveries, or the number of custom AI drivers? 'cuz if you manually select more opponents than you have AI drivers, it'll break and it'll spawn in the wrong sets of cars. If you select fewer opponents than you have AI drivers, then it works and you get the drivers and cars you wanted.

So if Max Available refers to liveries, and not all liveries are assigned an AI driver, then it'll break, right?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Correct! Its the max available liveries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JavierZumaeta

Another one guys, sorry.

I'm experiencing some sort of error, where some cars are repeated. I have AI names for the GT1 class, but I only want certain liveries to show up. 3 of the 4 cars have custom liveries and custom names. It for the most part works - only the liveries I've assigned an AI driver show up, but often you'll find repeated names. 2 or 3 of the grid are repeats, and some of the drivers/cars are skipped.

Anyone seen this before?

9. Mazdaspeed

If you have an ampersand (&) on the XML livery names it will cause duplicate drivers. Other than that, there might be some typo or something in the XML files.

Have you tried Luxmundi Custom Drivers Utility app? It makes creating and editing custom AI files a breeze, for both vanilla and custom liveries.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. JavierZumaeta

Thanks Speed. I'll look to see if I can find any typos. hm.

11. Theis Søndergaard

Theis Søndergaard New Member

Is Vehicle Reliability tied to the general Time Progression setting? As in, if the mean time for failure is 500, will it be 250 "IRL" minutes with Time Progression at 2x?

12. Mazdaspeed

Nope, it's tied to the mechanical failures time scale itself. You can change it on the gameplay menu.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vho

vho New Member

Hi guys,
    I have a problem, I tried to do Custom AI for Formula USA 2023 and it's not working, game is still inventing it's own names. I think I am doing everything right but I just can't find a problem. Did anyone of you had this problem? How to fix this?

14. Theis Søndergaard

Theis Søndergaard New Member

Thanks, makes sense! Is there a place where I can read up on what the different settings-values mean? I think I can guess what Off, Authentic and 3/4/5/10X mean, but what about "Accelerated" and "Sync to race".
    (I'm mainly racing F1 Classic Gen4 at 50% race distances, and would like to have that old-school feeling of blowouts left and right... :)

15. Mazdaspeed

You must match the drivers ID with the livery name on the XML file and there cant be any typos and such. If you are not an expert with XML, the easiest way is to download John Ellis Names file from Race Department and LuxMundi Custom AI driver tool also from RD. You can import and export custom AI files in a breeze and the program will take care of properly doing the xml file.

16. Mazdaspeed

Accelerated I am 90% sure is basically 2x, don't know why they just don't use that o_O. Sync to race is what I actually use, it will sync the failure mean times to the length of the race, so its the most authentic setting when you are doing shorter than real life races!

However there are many failures that the AI fixes and they just pit many times/or for a long time, I assume they do that for the endurance races where you can get a car with a coolant leak or turbo issue repaired, but its not realistic for the Formula races. I hope they can sort of make it that if an AI in a formula race has a engine issue they retire and not just pit and repair it. Its not the end of the world, but just a little detail that would help the immersion.

Also most of the retirements and failures tend to happen towards the last half of the races, so if you see that 25% has gone by and there are no failures don't worry, they will start dropping after 60%+ of the race has gone by.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JavierZumaeta

Ooh, snap, so confirmed? The failures that the AI could suffer from with the AI failure rate custom setting aren't all terminal? 'cuz I've been racing against the AI with the mod Toyota GT1, and like in real life that car is quite a bit faster than the rest of the field. But I was thinking of giving them a pretty high failure rate (and poor tire management) to try to not have them be so dominant - and if you remember their performance at LeMans, could be kinda accurate too.

So I don't want them to just drop out of the race every time, just, you know, nerf them a bit. Sometimes, yes, but not all the time.

18. BeatingUltimate

BeatingUltimate New Member

Do the standard AI drivers always take the same cars in the same class, or is this assigned randomly?
    If it is always the same car, is there any way we can check witch cars they would use?

19. Mazdaspeed

Its mostly random the failures the AI get, you can still nerf them that way, sometimes they spend a good minute or more in the pits until its repaired. From my experience about 7 out of 10 failures are non terminal. The tire management attribute was deactivated in the last patch, so it wont do anything right now! I believe its to fine tune the AI tire wear rate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. macbtz

macbtz Member

A question guys,
    The random the failures are already operative for all classes of cars?. I think I remember that when they were implemented they were only activated in some classes and I don't remember seeing in the description of new updates that they have been incorporated to the rest.