1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a direct drive (DD) wheel realistic?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mike1304, Aug 15, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I guess I get your point.
    But how about going from a G27 to a Bodnar DD wheel?
    Less or bigger improvement than in your example?:D

ByTheWay: Should we agree on a "much much bigger improvement" - even including the possibility of something called diminishing returns.:p

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, in my statement I was implying "for the money." Of course, if the OP wants to compare CSL DD to an even better/more expensive DD wheel, he is free to do so. But, this is where one would need to be very cautious about diminishing returns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Member

It all depends but if you haven’t tried any DD and your current wheel base checks all the boxes then stick with it. However, if you could upgrade to DD, then i could say that It will be a life time investment since there will be need to upgrade down the line.
    It seems like the belt market is slowly dying since CSL DD was announced and logitech is now following suit.

My back story:
    started with logitech DFGT before moving on to Thrustmaster T300rs (best of my belt wheel bases) then Fanatec CSL elite ps4 (worst of the bunch) but thanks to it it was time to ditch belt and pull the trigger on SimuCube2 pro.
    It’s also worth noting that you could use any current peripherals such as shifter, handbrake, pedals and wheels like in my case.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  4. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I would say to my friend here to wait a little be4 buying smth. Why?

For this:

IMG_2673.JPG

@M-Bimmer is this a track-racer rig that you own?

5. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Member

Rseat. Here’s on old video when it had T300rs :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

This answer is probably going to catch some flak. As someone who is an amateur racer IRL, compared to a real world racecar, no it is not realistic.
    No real world racecar gives you all that detail from a steering wheel. You feel all the sensations visually, sound and through your butt/inner ear.
    If you want to get fast @ simracing a DD wheel probably helps but I don't think it will make you a better driver IRL as the muscle memory needed is completely different.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, there is only one true "Real". If real wheel-feedback is achieved in game-ffb, be ready for some pretty dull feeling effects. I do find a DD-wheel to be much more immersive though. FFB is extremely personal and one man's immersive details may be another's annoyance.