1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk PC builds!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Dec 18, 2021.

1. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You're welcome, the shadows may well still annoy you and fxaa only makes the AA marginally better. Urban maps definitely look worse in that respect. I'm not familiar with the majority of the cars the handling of some I've tried was interesting and I'm still dialing in the ffb, but rock crawlers just make me very very happy for some reason. Not a class of vehicle I've ever given much thought to until I tried this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow, how break arm? Yes Merry Xmas to all other sim addicts.

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Soccer on the play ground at school, one of his mates fell on him :rolleyes: grade 4 soccer, wannabe footy but with bubble wrap rules so no one gets hurt o_O there had been 3 broken legs and 2 arms this year....I don't think their rules are working :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

Thanks mate, had a play around today, installed the RT and Reshade but the aliasing and shadow pop in is not something im willing to live with. I will venture back every update and have a look but as is i wont be playing it when i have all the other sims drive very well and look so much better.
    I was able to get 90 fps now with triple enabled and all settings maxed but still looks really poor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I hear yah. The draw distance for shadows is quite poor, that invisible detail creating line is annoying to say the least. Driving at speed doesnt help either. Also the cars interiors need an overhaul. I don't drive any of the urban maps, they look terrible. As do most of the mod maps. I also keep the sun static. I have certainly had moments where I thought holy **** this looks awful, but honestly Utah, sunset at the parking lot or the visitors area looks more realistic than almost any other sim I have. The late long shadows from the canyon walls help a lot. The pbr updates are excellent and the geometry of the landscape there is really fantastic too.

It suits my use case perfectly which apparently is driving around slowly over big rocks in a 4x4. I think this is where beam really shines. It's not something I would use for driving fast, the physics kind of fall apart at speed imo, we have much much better options for that and I'm not interested in recreating pile ups either. Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a proper shill now, but yeah there you go. I may still post a video later.:rolleyes::D

• Like Like x 1
  6. 2ndLastJedi

What do people think I would gain in ACC if I had a 11700k instead of 10600k? It turns out the 10600k isn't enough to get the 3080 to run at 100 utilisation even with all settings on epic! I'm being limited to around 85-100 fps with the GPU around 65-85%. I can still pop the 11th gen onto my mobo. I also wonder if faster RAM may help.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I get the same with my 3090 and 5950x in spots even if the cores dont Max out, I think it is more an optimisation thing rather than a hardware thing. Last night I had about 85fps trundling down the pitlane and gpu was only at 55% and cpu around 20%. When I looked at hwinfo64 afterwards my maximum single core usage was 87.7%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

I may just save my money then. Thank for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 2ndLastJedi

Is anyone using Rebar for AMS2? Is it worth enabling it on my 10600k/3080 system?

10. 2ndLastJedi

I was just playing around with undervolting, overbooking and stock speeds.

Really interesting how the undervolt improves performance over even the overclock. I can overclock the core by +100 but the clock drops down to 1775MHz as temps hit 70c while volts sit around 1v and usage of about 350w.

When I undervolt I can get a solid 1900MHz at 0.806mV and 320w, temps drop to 67c also.

I was watching fps while doing this and I gain 4 fps at 5760x1080 in ACC with the undervolt.

Really strange how nVidia made the 30 series so overvalued when they could have gained performance out of the box simply by running lower volts! This I don't understand??

What are your experiences with undervolting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ray64040

ray64040 Member AMS2 Club Member

Good results with undervolt plus overclock on my 3070 Ti. Up until recently I just ran it with defaults for a single 1440p ultrawide. Started with +150 overclock in MSI Afterburner then made the curve flat after 950 mV based on what others had reported to be safe/stable. Now at high loads, boost clock is rock steady with about 40 less watts power draw and almost 10 C lower temps.

• Like Like x 3
  12. 2ndLastJedi

Now I've gotten used to my 3080 I felt there was this little shudder when turning even at 141fps with G-Sync. So before going down the "new CPU" route again, I found some 4400MHz c19 ram, so thought why dafaq not. Well I couldn't get 4400c19 to run properly so left that XMP profile enabled and dropped to 3800 c16 and its completely stable and it is honestly another step forward I smoothness, even ACC has taken a leap forward in performance pushing past 105fps at race start for the first time.
    Best $130 ever spent in my PC.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

My rather unqualified guess is that you cant rely fully on these utilisation figures from Taskmanager or Afterburner.
    Check this link out from the guy Rasmus.
    Because eventhough he is not strictly talking about the CPU vs GPU thing then he has something to say about the calculation and locking of utilisation figures.
    CPU core count for a complete sim rig?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

Yes RasmusP is who i turn to for info about core scaling and now some ram chat, he has done some good testing and his results do seem correct.

15. 2ndLastJedi

Can be bothered installing the previous ram to see how much ive improved in latency but this is where ive ended, i tried lowering the timings more but crash.
    Screenshot (158).png

I wish i could change the thread name to "lets talk PC builds" or something.
    @CrimsonEminence can you do that?

16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

Thanks mate :D

Does anyone have any experience lowering the tRCD, tRP, tRAS, tRFC and CR timings?
    Screenshot (162).png
    I managed to get the CL down from 19 and those others down from 26-26-46 but i'm stuck at 22! if i did manage to lower them would i gain any performance like i did with clock and CL?
    My OCD wants me to get 3800 c16-16-16-38 , is it really important to try for this compared to 3800 c16-22-22-38.
    I've been doing plenty of reading but that's confusing and rather in depth, i'm hoping someone can just tell me these few things from a sim racing performance pov.

18. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I never understand the overlocking. My brains can not coop with it somehow.:oops:
    I have read Zillion webpages about this subject but still I use the default settings.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 2ndLastJedi

Well in the bios just set MCE and XMP on to get an easy overclock on the CPU and RAM. No stress or issue and you are just getting the most out of the spec you paid for.
    I'm pretty sure 8700k has MCE but just check, it would be a shame to not have all cores "enhanced".

20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yeah XMP is on indeed. I also just turned on the game boost option in the bios. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1