1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LexxVR's Friction Addiction Custom FFB for AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Lexx VR, Apr 4, 2020.

1. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

These aren't set in stone. I've yet to fiddle with them since my last post.
    Any suggestions? Settings.jpg

2. SwaggerJacker

Also, less tire wear.;)
    I must also mention that I'm spinning less and feel more confident with my inputs when correcting. A lot of it is the new feeling the wheel, the rest I think is confidence and repeatable inputs. Since they aren't as exaggerated now. LOL

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. samyrden

samyrden New Member

Yes please! While there are plenty of sims with better reputations (and less controversy), I have always returned to PC2 (with custom FFB of course!) for the weather and beautiful time of day effects. It's just so nice to drive these tracks at the break of dawn, or whatever you can dream up. I'd love to see what you came up with. I'm betting others too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SwaggerJacker

Lexx, I would be interested in that PC2 file, if you'd be so kind. Thanks.

5. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I've been using this with a Simucube 2, works really well once you get the settings right. At first it feels very loose with only lots of road noise so had to up the gain and reduce the FX. Found a nice balance now that works well for most cars:

upload_2020-4-11_18-10-47.png

TrueDrive settings:

upload_2020-4-11_18-12-0.png

The TD settings are slightly odd too but work very well with AMS2, got them off Kledsen on the Simucube forum:
    Automobilista 2 - Simucube 2

Many thanks for posting the files Lexx.

6. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Lexx VR I have added you file to my setup and have it working well thanks. In game FFB settings for me are 58/0/0 - Adding LFB does not provide any improved FFB over what simcommander (SC4) provides for my accuforce wheel and as others are reporting adding FX takes away the feeling of the front wheels.
    Congratulations on your work it has added to the great work Reiza is doing with this sim.

7. SwaggerJacker

@Lexx VR Are you still willing to share your PC2 FFB file? Curious to try it.

8. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

I've been testing some more, seeing what I can do to fix a longstanding issue before I feel ok with sharing it. Going back to PC2 after AMS2 is a bit strange: the car models lack a certain spring and feeling of sway to them.

As everyone knows the curbs interact very strangely with the car models in PC2, so much so that everyone tries to avoid them. With my custom ffb, about 90% of the curbs are semi-usable and controllable (but not nearly as well as in AMS2), so naturally one starts to use them.

Problem is, for the remaining 5-10% of curbs and especially when hitting them at the apex when the opposite side is loaded, the steering kicks very hard when running things over such as the domes holding up the posts at Spa from corners 11 - 16, and especially in tightly wound cars such as the FR3.5

The car models in PC2 don't seem to have the springiness and shock absorption modeled properly, so it feeds sausage curbs and domes straight into your hands when running low dampening/friction/inertia/interpolation settings the way I do.

Anyone holding on tightly mid corner to a DD wheel without having a slew rate limit set up could get yanked pretty badly, so I need to find a way to fix that without smoothing away the actual road feel. I'll let you know if it gets fixed, but I see AMS2 as the way forward. I've been working on an update to my AMS2 FFB, which I'll post soon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SwaggerJacker

Very cool. AMS2 I'm sure is the priority. Crazy that SMS never fixed the curbs.
    Thanks for the reply.!;)

10. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

UPDATE 4/12/2020

I've posted Release 3 and attached the file to the top post on this thread. This time, I've focused on improving on-center smoothness and the onset of friction while loading up the tires. For those on a prior version, swap in the file and be aware of the following changed suggested settings:

- Reduce Low Force Boost from 18 to 6 (for a DD1 wheel)
    - Reduce FX from 46 to 32 (DD1)

If you have one of the prior versions, please let me know which release you prefer, and also if you think I'm tuning in the right direction.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  11. SwaggerJacker

Thanks, going to check it out.

12. GregP

GregP New Member AMS2 Club Member

CSW V2 user here; I tried Release 3 today (the first I'd tried any of them) and, when attempting to match your Fanatec settings as closely as I can, I get what I would describe as an omnipresent very distracting vibration/rumbling effect in the wheel. It almost feels related to engine RPM but then again it doesn't noticeably diminish when I'm off the gas. I wish I could provide more feedback but I just couldn't get a handle on what the rest of the feel was beyond that rumbling.

13. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Sorry to hear it, and thanks for letting me know. You can turn down the FX setting in ams2 while driving single player (hit pause > options) and it takes effect right away.

But first, let me know if engine or road noise by revving in place vs. coasting in neutral. Also, which car? The Sprint hardly has any engine vibration, so try that one to see if it works better.

14. GregP

GregP New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, zeroing out FX got rid of it. In the Sprint car, with FX at anything other than zero, the rumbling is perceptible even at minimal RPM in neutral, and does increase with revving.

Now that I've got FX=0, since I don't have any time in the Sprint car, I'm going to spend some time comparing the default FFB to your file. My initial reaction was that I liked it, but I can't yet say how it may differ from the default feel.

15. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Lexx VR tried V3 file today. I am unable l to feel any great difference the only change for me was the bumpiness in the tracks caused more rattling from my wheel than the V2 file.
    Definitely cannot use any FX as this creates massive rattling from my wheel. LFB 0 to 20 no improvement to the way the FFB feels.

16. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

UPDATE 4/13/2020

Posted R4 to address the rattling, which got worse with R3. Removed Release 3. Release 4 should be much smoother and allow you to turn FX back up to the 20-30 range -- I now suggest FX at 26 on DD1. In order to see any benefit from my FFB file, you'll need FX to be non-zero.

Side note: on my Fanatec wheels, I'm not affected so much by rattling, as I've placed silicone O-rings behind each of my wheel buttons to prevent buttons from moving around while still allowing them to be pressed. You can buy a large box of assorted O-ring sizes on Amazon, as they come in handy for many things.

17. SwaggerJacker

Lexx, have you ever fired up a sim racer and thought / felt" Hey, the sim drives differently today"? That's what I felt yesterday. I was getting a huge amount of what felt like weight transfer, no that's not it. It felt like Caster was set too high (this was with Default setting). I drove several of my favorites and they all felt different from previous recent drives. Then I dropped in V3 and it went away. I don't have a lot of time on V3 to give an accurate assessment, however, I will say that I felt a bit more road feedback and lost the rubber band steering immediately. This was without changing anything in vehicle setups. I'm going to turn some more laps with V3 before I drop in # 4. To better help differentiate the two.

As always, thanks for the work you're doing.

18. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

V4 works great out of the box here on DD1, nice Details and great in corners, thx much, stay safe✌️

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dave Kirk

Dave Kirk New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been using v2 and now v4 on my Simucube 2 pro, I must say this file along with the recent update has made this game feel quite nice, it was unplayable before on Simucube.
    The only pointer I can give from my hardware is the engine fx is too strong, it overpowers all the other fx

20. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

UPDATE 4/13/2020 #2

Posted R5 to address the issues reported with R3 and R4. Removed Releases 3 (too much road noise and engine vibration) and 4 (texture muffled relative to engine vibration). R5 should be a good overall balance according to all the feedback. Those of you who had to turn down FX due to excess vibration in R3 and R4 can try turning it back up to the 24-32 range for R5 -- I now personally use FX at 26-30 on DD1. In order to see any benefit from my FFB file, you'll need FX to be non-zero.