1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LexxVR's Friction Addiction Custom FFB for AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Lexx VR, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Dave Kirk

Dave Kirk New Member AMS2 Club Member

So awesome, right now you are single-handedly saving this game for me right now :)
    Reiza should employ you to fix the FFB

• Like Like x 3
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I know this is for DD wheels but I've been messing with it on my T300. The vibrations were awful initially, dominating the FFB and leaving me unable to feel anything else even at low settings. I ended up removing all the engine and transmission FFB you added, leaving just the default engine vibrations. Everything else I left alone, and so far I'm really liking it. I need to do more testing to get a really good feel for it, but at the moment it's feeling better than the default FFB.

@Lexx VR, once I'm done fiddling around, would you object to me uploading the file for others to try? Full credit will be given to you of course since anything I do is based on your work.

3. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Goffik, have you tried Release 5? From your description I suspect it was an earlier version.

Yes, that's good -- if you have a specific version of the file and/or settings for your wheel, go ahead and post, either top level or as a comment to this thread. Let me know if R5 does fix the issues you've noticed -- should be waaaaay smoother for you while maintaining a definite but subtle feedback on center.

4. Dave Kirk

which effects are covered under "FX" is it just engine and tyre scrub?

5. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

That plus curbs, small road bumps, surface texture which all result in sidewall flex affecting the contact patch. This contributes to a crisp on center feel, along with the feeling of pressure as you just start to apply lateral load.

6. Dave Kirk

Cool, I was under the impression that those were LFB so thanks for correcting me, and can you tell me which parameter in the file i need to change to lower the engine rpm so that I can up the FX to feel everything else better.
    Thanks so much for your help and do you have a YT or something to follow :)

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

@Lexx VR, yes, that's the version I'm using. It's possible to get the engine/transmission vibrations down to a reasonable level with the FX slider, but then I end up losing most of the other effects you mentioned which are also tied to it. They end up too weak to feel properly.

I think the problem is just that I'm on a T300 which is belt-driven. It doesn't have the range, precision or strength to produce all the new effects your FFB provides, unfortunately. I'm trying to find a compromise by losing some of the less important forces, because in general I think your FFB is much better at communicating what the car is doing than the default FFB.

While I'm here, is curb vibration tied to the road texture setting? I can barely feel them, even using the default FFB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Curb vibration is not a separate “effect”, but flows from different parts of the tire model and into the steering rack. So you’ll feel it from multiple places, but fx should increase the tire patch aspect of it.

I think most of the curbs are very high in frequency and very subtle in ams2, being (too) easy to drive on without upsetting the car.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

I don’t youtube (yet), but am working on becoming a simrig tuner :)

You can remove my added engine vibration, leaving only Reiza’s out of the box engine settings, by commenting out (or removing) the section starting with:

# Engine Secondary

Any line starting with # turns it into a comment, so it will be ignored.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your work here,

where is "bump_scale" set?
    & what range should it be?

11. Scoops

Scoops Member

Same here, the kerbs feel way too light especially in light cars like the Caterham. They should vibrating heavily across a sawtooth kerb but while I can hear the noise I can hardly feel anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I tried the latest version and like it although, with the FX set to a good level, I get zero engine-vibes. Should I try a previous version or can anyone suggest which parameter I can change in the custom-profile?

13. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

The easiest way to add would be to edit the following two values in this section:

# Engine Secondary ---------------------------------------------
    (engine_vibration 24)
    (engine_vibration_while_driving 8)

I’ve had it as high as 24 and 96 respectively and it was cool, but don’t mind getting dampened engine vibrations from the wheel itself since that would be a luxury feature in a racing car, and I have 8 buttkickers on my rig to make up for it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing! :)

Update: increasing engine _vibration value has no affect at all for me. Is it possible that the engine-vibe effect (alone) is clipping?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  15. gazzy75

gazzy75 New Member

TX wheel here, with a buttkicker and motion platform v3. Only played around for half an hour or so, but I had to comment out the Engine Secondary section and then reduce FX to about 12 to remove the harsh rickety feeling from the wheel. It almost felt like I was driving a G27 not a belt driven wheel. But I did get better fidelity in the force feedback. Also had low force around 24-32 and Gain up around 80. I'll play around some more when I get time.

Appreciate your efforts here Lexx VR, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

UPDATE 4/21/2020

Posted Release 6: "I can't believe it's not rubber" edition. I suggest turning up FX to 30-40 for this version. Should feel the tire carcass quite a bit more with this one. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

@Lexx VR, forgive my ignorance (I'm not an FFB modder myself!) but are these values supposed to be different in the latest version? They were the same for both FL and FR in the others.
    Code:
    (FL_scrub (soft_clip FL_scrub 9.6 0.0))

(FR_scrub (soft_clip FR_scrub 6.6 0.0))

18. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

You’re right, thanks! They should be the same. Prior versions were at 8.6 for both sides. I was experimenting with the effects of clipping the scrub at different levels and forgot to change it back. I’ll fix that and repost later tonight.

With this asymmetry in place, were you able to tell a difference between the scrub on the front left and front right?

19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

To be honest, I was nosey so had a look at the changes you'd made in the newest version before testing it. I assumed they should be the same so changed them before starting the game. :p

20. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Experimenting with those values tonight beyond the range i was used to has opened up a bit of a rabbit hole for me, but less broadly appealing since the dynamic range can get very high. Will likely take next weekend to figure this out, but if anyone finds better values I’ll be happy to try them.