1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locking up brakes, tips for load cell?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Treska39

Treska39 New Member

I only started playing today after most recent patch i haven't had any issues with braking using default sensitivites so 50 all around for the pedals, all aids disabled have noticed though that even with those disabled, the advanced setup TC is at 10 and ABS 50 so reduced as low as can unless i missed a setting this is on all cars tried. do lockup once car slows enough and not releasing pressure at say 80% pressure used the reiza formula to test as can see wheels, Also tested the Caterham 620 and trhe V8 car cant remember name but looks like the aussie v8 holden at bottom of list.

I can stomp on the pedal and not lockup, pedals feel pretty linear same for steering did have to set my sen setting on wheel to AUT Fanatec CSW 2.5 with V3 pedals for steering to match the lower steer ratio cars nice to see the soft lock works.

tried the ultima and that thing is a wild animal but same again didnt lock up until held constant high pressure for too long.

I used the preset for my wheel and just calibrated pedals and wheel i have fanatec driver to auto calibrate pedals.
    settings below
    Automobilista 2 Screenshot 2020.04.04 - 18.41.19.41.jpg

Wheel settings
    fanset-auto2.jpg

2. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

The Ultima is an amazing car.
    Take it around Cadwell Park for extra excitement

3. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

I wonder if many feel the brakes are still locking up because of the sound. I'm coming here to report ATM I've been struggling to enjoy the game and race properly because the tires screech as if the tires are locking up but they really aren't if you're driving an open wheel and look closely at the tires. Is this a bug in the sound engine?

• Like Like x 2
  4. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

Possibly because some tyre scrub and screech are using the same sound so when you think your locking up your'e simply scrubbing tyres as the wheels drastically slow down under breaking .

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

or they are locking up but the animation is not showing it. I can only say for myself that when I hear the brakes locking up it also feels like they are locking up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wonder that some have poblems with locking up. I did a race with Formula V10 in AMS1. It's hard to avoid locking up or having wheelspin (and spinning myself).
    After that, I tried the V10 in AMS2. Locking up, wheelspin, car spin, no chance to get in any trouble!
    Either I do something wrong or AMS2 has a complete other physic (controller settings are the same as in AMS1, so this shouldn't be the reason)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

Well i do see lock up animations as i stomp on the brakes harder, so this shouldn't be the case, correct? I see you point but would assume its either it shows or it doesn't if this is the case...mayeb i'm wrong though.

But no matter the story i'm having a really hard time learning to drive in this sim because of this...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

BTW i should add that i did drive the Ultima GTR last night and was not having the same lockup concerns, so this is car related but the tire sounds I do feel need to be looked at as a possible bug

9. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

They did make a pedal curve adjustment in the recent patch. I wonder if more testing and adjustment is required. I am getting used to only pressing my brake pedal to where the foam mod starts to decompress but its tricky sometimes to not lock up as the foam resistance is much weaker now that they are well used pedals. It "feels" like no matter the sensitivity, car or speed, the brakes will lock up at around 60-65% travel on my pedals

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Leadbelly

Leadbelly New Member

One thing I like about AMS2 be it you like the brakes or you don't, its the same for everyone. This is not the case with many other sims, iracing for instance if you know what your doing you can set each car so the brakes never lock up. Be it you have load cell pedals or potentiometer based pedals abs or not, many people just set them to 70% - 80% - 90% and their good to go. Never seemed very fair to me, kind of takes the skill right out of it..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. vortex

vortex Member

I don't think so. In the Formula Ultimate, which you'd think would have massive downforce at high speed, I can't get close to other cars down the straight and expect to be able brake hard when they do and not run into them. It should be very difficult (almost impossible?) to lock the brakes in a high downforce car like that when initially braking from high speed.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. Some people don't seem to be affected by the brake sensitivity problem and say they can brake hard without locking the wheels whilst others can't. For me, there's been a slight improvement since the last update, but not a fix. I'm still having to use 20-30% brake sensitivity and 80% or less brake pressure in the car setup. We're in EA so still time to sort it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

When I brake for a corner, they AI overtakes me and will brake just a few meters before the corner. No locking brakes for them.
    If I tail an AI and start braking when te AI hits the brakes, my wheels are locking up and leave a nice smoke curtain. The AI just slows down without locking up or smoke curtain.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

AI in sims need to have a simplified physics model, that differs from the player car simply because it would be too taxing to create AI that feather controls like a player has to. The results are better performance racing AI but this means the AI dont suffer wheel spin or grip loss from extreme weight transfer so you get beaten by AI in cars that require a delicate throttle on corner exit or out braked in most cars. At the moment the AI get in too deep braking very very late when going against the player at a brake point and the warping safely back to the race-line is a tad over tuned currently. They get granted far too much excess grip when they dive bomb into corners and the only thing to do right now is lower AI aggression to very low settings if you get rammed or dive bombed a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Donnie

Donnie New Member

Hi guys

I'm trying more and more to find that lock up feeling, and I'm thinking that the brake sensitivity is alright...
    I have a feeling that we can't really find the lock limit because the sound and the FFB are giving some "opposite informations".
    You have the tyre sound coming but nothing on the wheel.
    I guess our brains can't process these two informations.

Muscle memory of the legs is certainly linked to arms feeling (FFB) and the sound is supposed to change at the same moment the grip changes, but not here... Brain get lost

Of course, it's a theory that comes from my fooled brain

Cheers racers,
    Donnie

Edit : maybe it needs a different sound between "total lock" and "on the limit" ?
    That's what feels right to me.

15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, some of the tire-audio cues are off at this time (Some cars anyway). I'm sure that will be sorted over time but, I had to start with a fresh controller-save file in order to have my brake-calibration stick for every session and be consistent. Things are working much better now.

16. Raphael Smith

Raphael Smith New Member AMS2 Club Member

I was having a terrible time with immediate lock ups with my clubsport v2s but I recalibrated the pedals twice in a row and slowly pressed the brake pedal to full during the calibration process. It seems to have fixed my issues for now in at least the stock cars.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

May I ask, do you use auto-calibrate in the Fanatec control panel, or not?

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I deleted my entire profile, recalibrated everything multiple times and still have issues with certain cars (F-Trainer is the easiest one to detect). There are other cars that seem OK, but the latest updates and tweaks for 0.8.02 have not fixed it all for me. I am concerned about calibration issues and wish we had a simple pedal travel indicator in the HUD.

I hear that PC 2 had an issue that was never resolved. All I know is that even if I turn brake pressure down from the new default of 90%, I still get premature brake lock-up on may vehicles and there seems to be a delay in releasing brake pressure when you release pressure on the pedal. I have heard that the linearity scale is bugged just for the brake and that it must be set to 100 instead of the usual 50 to be linear.

I am wondering if the use of the "auto calibrate" feature in Fanatec control panel could help or hinder the situation?

All I know for sure is that I have a load cell brake that worked perfectly at default linearity of 50 in AMS (and it works in all other sims), but the behaviour in AMS 2 reminds me of my old minimal resolution and minimal travel Logitech G25 brake pedal from years ago!! Very frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, brake-lock is less of an issue for me in v0.8.2.0 but, still exists with some cars, as you point out. The pedal response seems better than before and I have not noticed it feeling laggy in it's release. I'll check the pedal linearity setting to see I notice a difference (Linear is normally what I use).

Update: yeah, the laggy brake-release is still present.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Since I don't like deadzones and I prefer the sensitivity at the default 50%, I decided to raise the resistance of my load cell in the Fanatec software and dropped the brake pressure in in-game setups to 75% and that seems to have solved it. I can jam on the brakes and then modulate with very few lockups now.