1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving gt3 cars from PC2 to AMS2?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mike Cervantes, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Mike Cervantes

Mike Cervantes New Member

He just posted another video, this time with the super trofeo in AMS2. I sure wish he would share with us . The Lambo looks so beautiful in AMS2! This guy has already converted all the gt3 s , the 2010 Gia gt1 class and now the super trofeo! That’s pretty good for one person.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  2. Mike Cervantes

Well we are all different. I totally understand where you are coming from and it makes sense. I just want to try to help them keep going cause we don’t have many sims to choose from and if they keep dropping off we will have less to choose from. Imagine if reiza stopped working on ams2 and if Motorsport games goes under and rfactor 2 gets abandoned. We wouldn’t have much left to choose from.

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Read on Reddit if you email him he will give you the cars. I have emailed the person and let’s see. Just one question, if somebody ports a car from one game to another and gives out the links for free it is legal?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Only of they have written consent from the copyright holder.

5. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

DISCLAIMER: This is the perception of a musician on copyright .

I've absolutely never truly understood why so many get heated on their perceived problems of these so called "illegal" mods...

To me it's like getting mad about a cover band, DJ or entire genres of music where they mix other people's music and call it their own... In the music industry it's now standard practice to make money from other peoples work and not even mention where you got the sample from...

I understand the licences and all that but most of these mods aren't selling the exact copy of a Metallica song to a large audience... They are a cover band playing songs in their garage to a small crowd for free... As to me there's the band and development company on one level and the record label and the car company on another level who have rights to the copyrights...

The only area where legality can come into it for me is when they are making money directly from someone else's work... Like a pCARS model with new physics for AMS2 for example with no mention of the pCARS model origin... If that has a price tag then EA who now owns the rights has some ground for legal recourse, but just like Metallica they would look like selfish pricks to some and defending their livelihood to others... As this is like releasing a song where you've taken samples of other people's music, changed it a little and called it your own, it's perfectly legal but feels a bit dirty...

But if there's no price tag and they say where what they didn't make is from, it's just a cover band or DJ playing for free in their garage...

If they say where the model is from and charge for it, it's a cover band or DJ at a pub on a weekend... Now this is a grey area as they've fully admitted to using other people's work, but they are making money off of it... In the music industry this is perfectly legal and actively encouraged as a great and clean way to get into the industry... Yet in the gaming industry this is largely frowned upon... It's just always felt weird to me how stark the difference is and this need for permission that just doesn't exist in the music industry at that level for me...

If they took models and physics from a lot of other games and then made their own game without any deals in place, then I'd get the level of anger people who aren't the one getting their work used by other people...

I don't like paying for mods that aren't 100% original or only have parts/textures from the game the mod is designed for... But I'm not against downloading anything else for free... As to me they are the busker on the street playing a Metallica song with their guitar... A nice surprise as a compliment to the original artist that if I really enjoy I can donate to...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Cervantes

I love the way you used my rhetorical question back at me very clever, good job!

7. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The issue I had with mods in PC2 wasn't even with the mods. It was the lack of per-car ffb! It got frustrating real quick. I just reinstalled it to try out the OEM tunes on the road cars (they're great and I hope that carries over to AMS2) and it only took driving the Civic and Megane to be annoyed by it again lol.

So I for one, am glad to see the movement from PC2 to AMS2. From what I've read there is a lot involved with "porting" cars over but there are several interesting projects in the works that should appear soon.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it legal to to put movies up on torrent websites for people to download for free?

9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I understand what you mean, but I would say the situation is a bit different

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. F1Aussie

Not really, both may include someone having access to an item they may own but then are also making it available to other people who dont own it to use.

11. Scar666

This is another area where music is vastly different from other industries...

Torrents are one way of sharing art, it's an expansion of tape sharing from the 80s, it gives the artist far more marketing reach then they could ever get even through a record deal... Hence you can find just about any album you want to on youtube as listening to a full album on youtube from a non official account is seen as completely legal for the music industry... Despite it literally giving away the art for free via download so is no different to a torrent...

12. F1Aussie

I should have mentioned it but I meant more along the line of movies.
    As far as I am aware it is the same for music though as artists are missing out in sales or royalties everytime some shares something for free. Not sure what it is like elsewhere but here even if you want to play background music in a business you are meant to pay fees for doing so. It used to go to Australian performing rights association.

13. robillard3381

robillard3381 Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Not at all, if you own PC2, you also own these cars, in PC2. You just can't play them in AMS2. The modder didn't buy some kind of GT3 DLC that he makes available to everyone for free, so your comparison isn't good.
    Porting cars from PC2 requires a lot of work. he did not copy/paste files from PC2 to AMS2, so there too the comparison with music or a movie available in torrent is not valid. There is work, added value. That's why it's a gray area.
    It's tolerated, there just shouldn't be any links on our forum.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mansell

mansell Active Member

@robbillard3381
    so, "porting" licenced PC2 content is tolerated from reiza (i can see a staff member and a reiza badge in your avatar) and its just links here on forum that aren't tolerated?
    didnt expect that TBH.
    good to know mate, thanks for clarification. :cool:

would be interresting to see if it is "tolerated" from the dev who created and licenced that content and from the publisher. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tolerated or not, there's nothing they can do to stop you fiddling with files on your computer (short of encrypting them, which people have broken years ago). EULAs are not law and barely enforceable as is. What they can do is prevent you from distributing that stuff on the forum they control, which is understandable.

The dev functionally doesn't exist any more and everyone involved has moved to Codemasters, iRacing, Straight4 etc. EA doesn't seem to care either as they only wanted the 3D models from Project CARS and the rest they scrapped.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scar666

Yeah there's a lot of things that businesses, because they are making money, cannot do... But I know in Australia that cover bands and DJs do not have to get any permission from the original artist or the record label to play a song or make their own version of it and play it whilst getting a payment from the venue, there's also no fees involved as a result... There is also a legal right to busk in areas, but that's about the area not the music...

Sharing on any internet platform is accepted as free marketing tools by a lot of people in the music industry now, especially after the backlash Metallica got for Napster... Just like the tape sharing days in the 80s, where 1 person would buy the vinyl and make 50 odd copies to hand out at gigs to get that band exposure... Although in a lot of cases no one pays for the music the artist take the word of mouth type of marketing to help get them more money then they could by paying for that marketing...

Because if the people enjoy it they will be at the shows, buying merch and the CDs or itunes downloads...

In a similar vein though I don't expect the Doctors surgery to pay for the movies they show on free to air TV either...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  17. mansell

mansell Active Member

there isn't any "or not" anymore mate
    toleration is confirmed.
    IMHO, its a bit odd to tolerate this "porting" (this word sounds nicer than the "moving" used in OP and thread title, i have to admit) but not the links showing how to do it.
    another shade of grey, i guess...? :D

18. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Yes and no. You misunderstand the legalities of using samples. Every sample needs cleared by the rights holder. How to Clear a Sample for a Song or Beat in 2023 (dittomusic.com)
    Otherwise all kind of bad things happen that might take decades to resolve - if they ever do get resolved. Like this famous case - Rolling Stones Finally Give “Bitter Sweet Symphony” Songwriting Credit to the Verve’s Richard Ashcroft | Pitchfork

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Scar666

Those decades and price tags of lawyers are enough to allow people to do it without getting clearance from the rights holder... Youtube certainly doesn't care as long as there's enough difference for their algorithm and the original artist doesn't do anything about it...

It's really only the long and lengthy cases where someone, like the Verve or Vanilla Ice, make a lot of money from a song that anything happens... On a small scale it's too out of reach... And the amount of songs on the radio that are complete rip offs of riffs, lines and beats these days just goes to show it's only in special cases that anything happens...

20. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Why would Reiza care if people take content from other games and port it to AMS2? They'd probably care if you take AMS2 content and offer it for use in other games per their EULA.

Kunos never cared what ripped content you use in AC as long as you didn't reference it on the official fourms. Race Department doesn't care what ripped mods you use as long as you don't post them on Racedepartment.

Same with Reiza.

It's a ToS thing. Plausible deniability.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1