MP servers with AI SUCK S**t

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by GrimSuper, Oct 4, 2016.

1. GrimSuper

GrimSuper Member AMS2 Club Member

I joined two servers both with the same name . I won't mention any names. "GSR V8" . :mad:
    Both had 5 drivers all AI cars .
    Its hard enough trying to populate a server with real people on MP servers ,I know because i run servers in AMS and AMS BETA and for all the people who race this game they seem to do it off line. I don't know why.
    If you want to race AI do it on your own in single player .Don't fill your server with fake drivers to make it look like its a popular server.
    I thought the whole idea of a community was to be a community, not to race on your own and give opinions for the community . That's my opinion, for me not the community.
    RANT OVER ! :(

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Le_Poilu

Le_Poilu Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, it's not something done "on purpose", for sur.

A single player connected to any server can trigger a vote to call 5AI. If he's alone the vote will pass and the AI will be there until the end of the week-end session, even if the player disconnect.
    By default the dedi tools is configured to allow min 0 to max 32 IA, if admin didn't change the max settings he can't prevent any player to add IA by a single vote.

And to be honest I did it myself sometimes when I'm alone on the training server of our league (witch is private).
    It give better training that doing offline (servers settings for the race, etc), and when other players are connected we can kill IA to run against each other.

Of course a admin should not use IA to fill an empty server just for the sake of it, it' a non-sens. IA should only be called by the player during the session with a vote if they want it (sometimes you just want to race with 3-4 players and still have a full grid "for the fun")
    It's a nice feature to have the possibility to add IA on a MP server.

3. GrimSuper

OK. If you want AI for your own reason fine, but lock your server or do it offline. To leave a server open with only AI running to get your severs noticed is a p**s take to all the people running genuine MP servers for people who want to race real people and to real people who join a MP server thinking they are going to race humans.

4. Le_Poilu

As I said, the admin may not even be aware there's IA on his own server.
    If it fired it up with default settings, any connected player can trigger IA by a single vote. And IA will stay on it until the end of the session or if players kick the IA (but for that you need more than one player ...) even if there's no more player connected.

You can't judge on the server admin on the single fact that there is IA on a server at a given time.

And if there's server always running with IA => avoid them once you know them... not something hard to do.

5. GrimSuper

If you are not aware there are AI on your server then you a not doing a very good job.
    Obviously stay away from a server once you know. Do you think I would race again tonight and think to myself " I'll try those servers again, the ones full of AI, the ones that completely wasted my time".
    There was another two drivers who left instantly as soon as I pointed out it was full of AI. So it wasn't just me who didn't like it.

6. Le_Poilu

Are you always watching your server in real time ?
    If you have a dedi running 24/24h how can you be sure that at one time there wasn't players to call a vote for IA ?
    As long as you set it with some default settings there's nothing that can prevent players to do it.

7. GrimSuper

Does setting maximum no. of AI in your server options to 0 not prevent this happening . And i have never had people on server call for AI.

8. Le_Poilu

As said before: "if you let some settings to default" => Of course you can set max IA to 0 for it.
    Do you mean that admin that don't set max IA to 0 are doing bad work ?

I did use it, I saw people using it... you're not the center of the sim racing universe ;)

9. GrimSuper

I didn't say I was mate .I also didn't say
    And my main point which you seem to have missed was about using AI to make your server look popular. And wasting peoples time when they join a server to find the there are no real drivers there.

10. Le_Poilu

I didn't missed your point at all. I only said that it's may not be something that admin made as you said to have a server that "look popular". They are other reason I already mentioned to explain why you may find IA on a server.

But I didn't said neither that the're no server with "permanent IA" running, and as I obviously don't know the reasons behind this, I'll hold any judgement on it before being hard like you against server admins.

11. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Why not use the Virtual Experience lobby page (Virtual Xperience Portal) and select the "No AI" filter so this doesn`t happen (enter a session with AI only) ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There are no sessions to enter, Eric.
    Those with 1 player, you mean ? :D

There should be filters on multiplayer screen in game as well.
    I guess it's not that easy to implement or smth, or there would already be one...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GrimSuper

Is the basic idea of online multiplayer for people who want to race real people ?

14. Le_Poilu

Indeed, but sometimes you end up with only 3-4 players to race against and you still want to race against them. Isn't it a nice feature to be able to fill the grid with some IA ?
    IA is pretty good in AMS (not the best but OK in overall), so: why not ?
    There are not enough players in the AMS community to fill public servers, by far !

Of course when you have enough people to race against it's a non-sens to add IA.. of course !
    But I don't find it very fun when you're only 4 on a grid... and it's even worst if the 4 players don't have the same level/pace. Can be great with close pace, but it's rare...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It happened to me two times already that I tried to have a conversation with the "people" who are on the server and wondered »Why the heck don’t they answer…?!« :D

I’d love to see more people use Automobilista online! Now there’s just tumbleweed, unfortunately.
    So it will be Iracing for MP and Automobilista for offline racing, which is fine, of course.

16. Le_Poilu

LOL

You're pointing on something: would be nice to differentiate IA from players (with name in a different color, or an "IA" label in it.).

TBH I also was tricked by this. I didn't know IA was possible on MP servers, and during a race I started to find some "racers" to have strange racing lines.. then I looked their names and recognize some names from offline mode...

17. GrimSuper

at this moment the 6 most populated servers in the Virtual xperience portal have Ai running ,three of them have password entry , which is fair enough . The other three are open servers giving the impression that there are real people in there to race against.

18. GrimSuper

This is part of what frustrated me .

19. Le_Poilu

To be fair:

AMS lobby is an empty space. Unless you're in a league, looking for online gaming on public server will be a massive disappointment for you...

And as you pointed it: you can see in the virtualXperience lobby if and how many IA there is in a server. So there's no false impression here.. only a lobby empty of players with very very few IA...

Well, you were tricked and lost 30s of your life... I understand you can't past this alone and need a big hug :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. GrimSuper

I have had some very good online public server races and have been very happy with the quality of most of the drivers out there.
    I made the post to vent my frustration and to make people aware this happens. Not for a big hug .
    But i never say no to a big hug, so if you got one send it on over. ;)