Multiplayer- empty servers

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Grinkit, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just like real life: some races are full of action, some has none. If more people would accept this online racing would have a lot more people and they'd race for more than 3 :D

2. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

The way I see it is if you're good enough to race someone else really well then you're going to end up being consistent enough to find yourself in some low drama situations. If you and another guy have great pace to fight each other but he messes up on the first lap and ends up 6 seconds behind then you may see nothing happen between you but a fight on the relative. Such is life.

I still enjoy trying to pace well enough to stay ahead of people. I still find hotlapping a very consistent time over more than 10 laps very challenging. Doing that with people waiting in the wings to bite you when you make a mistake is still racing to me. Better than racing people up a hotlap leaderboard.

3. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, leading can be nerve wrecking.
    Being last can be totally awesome - if you got a battle going with the 2nd last.
    But come on, you guys really want to tell me you enjoy it and find it exciting to lose 2-4 seconds each lap to the second last with only 4 guys on the server?

4. Will Mazeo

The amount of people in the server was part of the "I'm not so fast" subject? I missed it.

5. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

If I'm losing that much time then I'm probably not good enough to get a good race either way, not if I'm dead last. Also in my experience a lot of the time guys who're faster than me are great hotlappers but terrible racers. They often wreck and create a race where there was none or lose to me because I was more consistent even if I was slower because they go full attack every corner regardless of circumstance.

But talking about guys who're dead last is kinda like talking about people who've not done their homework and feel left out in class. If you're that far behind you probably need a lot more practice. And when was the last time you saw the guy in last place on a public server not someone who spun out and put himself there rather than just being a guy who's clean consistent but slow? Usually Mr. consistent but slow does as I've said and moves up purely on the merits of his clean driving.

Feels pretty rare to me that last place is someone who made no mistakes other than being slower than other people, not on pubs.

6. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Allow me to repeat my take on this. :)
    We need something fun and simple for public server racing.
    Other cars demand too much effort to be suitable for such casual public events...more suited for sandbox simracing and more advanced players.

Lancers are a good starting point. They are the ultimate noob car in the game.
    Just so that there is a grid of more than 3 players. A grid of 10 would already be fine by me.
    Short simple tracks (like proposed), short quali, short race, 24/7. For those of us who want a bit of online racing, so we can log on and have a race or two in the evening...That's it.
    Set it up, see how it goes, take it down if it doesn't do anything. :)

I don't believe there are crashers and wreckers playing such a game (although i do have experience with players with an attitude and/or bad judgement...but very few such instances), so i believe it would generally be a safe and clean place to do some fun racing. Especially if it's on an official Reiza server.

• Like Like x 1
  7. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

The most active servers I've seen in AMS the last month and some have been exactly as you described.

Usually its 10-20min practice, 5-10min qualifying, 10-15min race. Pretty much never formula cars. Lots of activity in StockV8s and Lancers and once Karts.

8. Will Mazeo

There is a brazilian server that is always open and have some people. Sometimes you get more than 20. But usually at times that aren't good for Europeans I guess. But it's a mess.. you manage to survive sometimes

9. Spin

Spin Active Member

10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Most people on public servers are either rammers, don't know overtake-rules, or leave during race. (not finishing at last place etc) or all of three. So best bet is either SP, MP with "clean" friends or join racedepartement

Applies to all sim racing games.

11. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The use of Mods will not help to fill the servers,
    I hope the upcoming Official rooms for public multiplayer races, will unlock some online races.

12. xnorb

So far my online encounters in GSCE/AMS have been surprisingly clean.
    Sure, lots of people to drop out, but that's to be expected with a rather low playerbase and questionable server setups.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

well. I will take a look into AMS MP when I can join servers by ingame-search. For now Its SP AMS and RBR NGP and MP R3E here.

14. SaxOhare

To many mods, unable to join online races, please make the next version of Automobilista unmodable

15. xnorb

Mods are fine, but you need an automatic mod-downloader or at least an indicator in the server browser which mod is used.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SaxOhare

I like the idea having the mods indicated in the server browser,

But I don't like mods to be used for multiplayer, especially when the original content is as good/nice/different as it is in Automobilista. Using mods means not using Reiza content
    And i sure don't want them be downloaded automatically. Perhaps the steam Workshop is an option to download them.

17. xnorb

Reiza's content is great, no doubt.
    It's what makes me pick AMS over all the other sims on my disk every time.
    (Next the great features and all the other cool stuff of course *g*)

But being able to mod games has already become a rarity and i although i'm all up for a quality assurance for mods i prefer having mods over not having them anytime.

18. denis dracup

denis dracup Active Member AMS2 Club Member

would like to race EEC but for me living in asia races on a sunday but at 2am in the morning ...just to early in the day