1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiplayer - screen freezing mid race then continues

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by MarkRace, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Richard appleyard

Richard appleyard AKA Neworder

PC

2. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Update on "testing multiplayer screen freezes" no hardware changes.

Steam software change.
    Changed 'steam/ settings /in game/server browser pings a minute /lowered the value to 1000 from 5000'

Running V1.3.8.3

Wednesday 10th Aug 2022

19:05 15+ lobbies - Rkd - 6 racers (0 ai) - 12 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Hocken - 1 DNF - Damage Yes.
    FREEZE lap 4 + 8, stutter lap 3.
    20:40 15+ lobbies - Rkd - 5 racers (0 ai) - 8 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Oulton Fosters - 0 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE.
    ** Note: No new/small file generated in Media folder.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

3. Steve Kenwood

Steve Kenwood New Member AMS2 Club Member

Not very practical as I have multiple devices connected and not secure either

4. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Through a lot of research I can see how 'Enabling' DMZ might work/resolve the issue (not tested yet), however my understanding is it is only really adviseable for Consoles. If you enable DMZ for your PC you are giving hackers an open door to not only your PC but whole network.

Someone correct me and explain if I've missunderstood DMZ.

5. Richard appleyard

ill do a test turn it off see if my freezes return ill let u guys know

6. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Actually the DMZ on your router establish a buffer between internet and your LAN. So whatever is in the DMZ can acces web but your LAN.

Usually there is a firewall as a main Entry then the DMZ and then again a firewall to the LAN.

Not sure to understand why the DMZ would correct the freeze problem... If it does good, but I m wondering why

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Update on "testing multiplayer screen freezes" no hardware/software changes

Running V1.3.8.3

Friday 12th Aug 2022

18:25 11 lobbies - Rkd - 6 racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Brands - 2 DNF - Damage Yes.
    FREEZE end of lap 3! & quit!
    19:30 15+ lobbies - N/kd - 16 racers (0 ai) - 20min +1 lap - Fxd Setup - Dono Nat - ? DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE - - 'Jaydenr06' & 'som' - idiot wreckers (noted for possible future ban).
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

8. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.3.8.3

Saturday 13th Aug 2022

20:00 15+ lobbies - N/Rkd - 15 racers (0 ai) - 10 min - N/Fxd Setup - Silverstone - ? DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE.
    20:30 15+ lobbies - N/kd - 18 racers (0 ai) - 10 min - N/Fxd Setup - Nurb Veed - ? DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

9. Richard appleyard

Has anyone tried turning steam overlay off

10. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Yes I did. No change.

I m still convience it is the way the game is designed regarding the ranking point's computation. There is something that seems hijacking the main process when something related to it occurs and could potentially affect the score of others players in the current session. ( Accident, retirement,..)
    The information should be broadcasted at large and analysed by all player's game which seems causing a hang of the main process. My guess is a crash with multiple players require more analyse than a retirement which cause a bigger freeze.
    When you drive outside the track limits or others issues that only affect your own scoring it seems not having any impact on others players.

As well on non-ranked session this thread or the game will not be running. A kind of: IF (RANKED) ComputeRankingScore();

Anyway this is my guess, I could be wrong.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  11. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Tested this today and no difference.
    For the past few weeks the freezes are now ONLY with MP Ranked and nothing particular seems to happen in the race/other racers when it happens.

12. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Update on "testing multiplayer screen freezes" no hardware changes

Running V1.3.8.3

Monday 15th Aug 2022

** Disabled "Steam Overlay" as suggested.

13:50 7 lobbies - Rkd - 7 racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Taruma - 0 DNF - Damage Yes.
    FREEZE end of lap 5!
    14:10 7 lobbies - Rkd - 9 racers (6 ai) - 20 min +1 lap - N/Fxd Setup - Dono - ? DNF - Damage Yes.
    FREEZE lap 3 & quit!
    19:00 15+ lobbies - League-N/Rkd - 9 racers (0 ai) - 20 min - Fxd Setup - Watkins Inner - 1 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE.
    19:40 15+ lobbies - League-N/Rkd - 9 racers (0 ai) - 20 min - Fxd Setup - Watkins Inner - 1 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

13. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.3.8.3

Tuesday 15th Aug 2022

17:00 9 lobbies - Rkd - 5 racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Watkins Inner - 0 DNF - Damage No.
    NO FREEZE big stutter lap 3+6!
    17:30 13 lobbies - N/Rkd - 3 racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Hocken - 1 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE!
    18:00 15+ lobbies - Rkd - 6 racers (2 ai) - 7 laps - N/Fxd Setup - Dono GP - 2 DNF - Damage No.
    NO FREEZE big stutter lap 3+6!
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

14. Steve Kenwood

Steve Kenwood New Member AMS2 Club Member

Had two 25 minutes races on the RaceDepartment server last night with no issues after adding my Sim PC to the DMZ on my Virgin hub. Also found out that the server had been running as ranked but no longer due to potential issues caused by the extra load so will have to try the next race with the DMZ disabled and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. some evild dude

some evild dude New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've had it happen consistently offline in championship at Daytona.

Exactly 49min in will freeze & crash
    Also noticed putting shadows on low with other settings medium will cause a freeze during load everytime so have to set that to med as well. Pretty finicky.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

As clearly highlighted by Matt only ranked session seems causing problem. Maybe you Switched to DMZ at the same time your server went to UNRKD

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

After more than two months of logging MP races and the 'Freeze' issue I am stopping until after the release of v1.4.

My summary so far and is far from precise or exact, however looking back through my logs it appears most likely to effect:
    • Online multiplyer lobbies ONLY.
    • Ranked ONLY.
    • Possibly with one or more users leaving mid race or attempting to join.
    • A small but not exclusive link to a users ISP being Virgin Media.
    In my opinion it is some sort of server side sync issue connected to MP Ranking and no other variables appear to make a difference.

I will continue to log MP Freezes after v1.4, not that I believe there is a fix in this release I just want a small break from logging freeze issues and have fun with v1.4 and create more content for my YT channel.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Great and usefull logs Matt. Thanks for this. Hope that reiza Will leverage all yours logs and ours observations to try to isolate the root cause of this very annoying bug.

Yesterday after a huge freeze I ended Up in the grass from driving In a big straight because of a crash behind me and people leaving the session. RKD session obviously.

Ranking point logic is already frustrating by itself no need for this on top of it

Yesterday last race of the Day on Spielberg with F1 gen2 10 laps, setup allowed, RKD, 3 players no ai.
    3 on the race, qualified 3rd. Finished second, player which was 2nd retired mid race.
    No contact, some low speed off track incursion trying to catch the first car which was finally 1 sec faster than me on lap time...

Result I lost 1 point of ranking...
    Hopefully the guy in front of me retired otherwise I would lost more point.

This scoring really doesn't give you the picture of how clean people are. Only fast and clean Drivers got the points. If you are slower than the average session players you joined you are disavantaged. The ranking should highlight how clean you are, not how fast you are on my humble opinion, or at least letter shows your speed Level and number your clean Level then they could have also a interesting match Filter.
    But anyway this is not the subject of this thread

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The rating (number) is supposed to measure performance. The safety class (letter) is supposed to measure safe driving. It's questionable either of them performs that function.

20. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Do you know Someone that the letter revert back to the previous value ? It is only going Up faster or slower regarding the way you Drive .. never regress. This is more expérience than safety on my opinion

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022