Multiplayer setup

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by RonRoyce, Mar 21, 2023.

1. RonRoyce

RonRoyce New Member

Hi

Have looked at getting AMS/AMS2 for some time and now that Project Cars is being killed off by degrees and AMS has a great offer on Steam I'm now seriously considering it.

But one thing that frustrates me about other sims (AC/ACC/RFactor) is they require dedicated servers for online multiplayer. PC/PC2 and the F1 series allow you to run multiplayer within the game without this need, so if you just want to have fun with your mates you can do this and create whatever race you want.

So, the question is does AMS/AMS2 require dedicated servers for online multiplayer?

2. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nope works just like in Project Cars 2 you can create your own lobby ingame.

3. RonRoyce

RonRoyce New Member

OK, help required.

I now own Automobilista. I go to the multiplayer lobby, internet is ticked and I hit create game in that lobby. I set my properties and start the session but none of my friends searching for the server I created can see the game.

No matter what I set in the options for the download rating or pre-select a BB connection type (or LAN, it makes no difference) none of us can create games the other person can see.

So what am I doing wrong? This is over the internet, it is not a LAN session.

4. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We use a dedi server so I haven't really started up ingame lobbies so far, pretty sure your answer will be found within this forum though :p

Did your friends refresh the server list a couple of times? There used to be an issue where the list wouldn't populate entirely directly but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You probably need to do some port forwarding.

If you properly configure the AMS1 ports in your router, people will be able to reach your server. If they don't then you might be behind a CGNAT, in which case there is nothing you can do about. If you are behind a CGNAT, then ask to one of your friends that do not have the same internet provider as yours to port forward his/her router.

Instructions on how to port forward vary from router to router, but you certainly can find it on the internet.

6. RonRoyce

RonRoyce New Member

The reason I asked the question in the first place was because for online multiplayer in both the Project Cars and F1 series you don't need to do anything to your router. Just go to multiplayer, create your online game and off you go.

Why are so many driving games (AMS, AC, ACC, RFactor to name a few) missing this feature? Why do we have to go through the hassle of opening ports and creating dedicated servers if we want to create an online game? For a blast with your mates where you make it up as you go along this is unnecessary faff.

7. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unnecessary... it is like saying you don't need a home address, since the mailman "should know" where you live and you and your mates all wanna do is to exchange letters.

Basically PC, F1 and AMS2 work on the go because of the networking architecture they use. There are benefits and shortcomings. Using AMS2 as an example, the MP is so bad that this has been a hot topic since the launch of the game.

I'd rather go through the trouble of port forwarding my router and enjoying a smoother MP experience than having a plug & play MP with terrible latency, warping cars and absolutely unreliable lobby.