1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with driving in the rain

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Jeff Scharpf, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems like I won't be able to avoid rain in a 3 hour race, so, I ask, does anyone have advice on driving in the rain? I know the obvious is "slow down" lol.. but the AI is fast.. so..
    Should tire pressures be different? Any other settings that I can change during a race that would help me on water?
    I'm really looking for anything, as I feel that I am driving relatively safe, just trying to stay on the track, but not able to keep up with the rest of the cars (same cars I can stay at the front with on a dry track).

2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

There is a need to shift to more mechanical grip so I find raising the ride height (twofold- prevents floor aquaplaning lifting the tyres off the road and has an effect similar to softening suspension at the relevant end), softening suspension to aid mechanical grip, softening brake application, TC and ABS tweaks if fitted and so on. Im sure someone will be along with a much more comprehensive guide but I always aim to sacrifice a little bit of raw speed for car stability in races, especially in the wet. .5 sec a lap is a small trade off offset against the 10 seconds lost from spinning every 5 laps.. so I want a car that if it slides, it isnt too hard to recover.
    Also as a handy guide I really recommend the video below.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you!! Great tips! I will try them and watch the video. I just restarted a new GT season, qualified near the front (weather was clear), and will run the race this weekend when I have 3 hours free. Just to test it, I went to the race session (did not start) and it was raining lol!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1