1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and Improved: LexxVR's Custom FFB for AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Lexx VR, Apr 29, 2020.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've done a bit of tinkering around this afternoon with Lexx's file with a view to using it on lower end wheels. On the G29 with the new default, I had quite high settings for LFB and FX, but still felt that road feel was missing or at least very low key. When I loaded Lexx's custom file it rattled the G29 to bits on my settings, and even lowering FX/LFB, it still felt a bit rough, but I could feel that there was something of what I was looking for hidden in there somewhere. So I took the default custom file and steadily copied bits of Lexx's file one section at a time, putting in values closer to defaults and testing each section. What I ended up with is something that I think gives me much better road feel on the G29 and just feels like there is more going on. I tested this mostly with the Super V8, but also the stock car, Fiat Uno, GT5 and the superlight. I haven't tested any open wheelers with it.
    I really don't have much of a clue, but going on the principle of infinite monkeys and typewriters, I've managed to make what feels like an improvement. The work is all Lexx's, I just copied bits from his file and tweaked from there.
    If anyone with a G2xx class wheel wants to test a few more cars and then maybe Lexx might have a look at the file and give it an experts eye, see what you guys think. This was tested on a G29 with 95/50/80, which is roughly the settings I had for the new default, so maybe start there and work away from that. Any other combination will feel different, but it will be interesting to broaden it out.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

@Lexx VR
    I thought I'd answer here instead of the old thread. I've been doing lots of messing about with the FFB over the weekend, and essentially there is nothing wrong with your new version on belt-driven wheels after all. The problem is the huge difference in FFB between the cars.

My first test of your new FFB was in the SuperV8 and it felt pretty lifeless. That's when I posted my feedback. However, I later found that the SuperV8 felt just as lifeless with the New Default FFB. So I went back to test yours again but this time used the Formula V12 instead. Using this car your FFB felt totally different! I was very surprised, to be honest.

Since then I've kind of merged the New Default with your modified FFB. I don't think I've actually changed any values other than engine_scale, but I've attached the file anyway. For me the FFB feels really good now, at least with most cars.

For reference I'm on a T300, default settings in the CP, 80/25/25/50 in AMS 2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

@John Hargreaves, you might want to use a different car for testing mate. The SuperV8 has very lifeless FFB at the moment, in my opinion. Try the Formula V12. The FFB feels really alive in that car.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

For now I’m maintaining only one file, which seems to work well for most with some adjustments to the ffb settings in ams2 being posted here for comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Hargreaves

I've had an enjoyable afternoon actually, Lexx's settings have brought a bit of life out of the V8 and I've had a blast with it. It might be worth someone having a look at that custom file with a livelier FFB car, as it may be too much for those. Anyway, see what you guys think.

6. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Thanks Goffik, I’ll take a look at your merge as I start tinkering with the new default ffb to see if there are any gains to be had with it. To date, it doesn't seem like it unless I find a solution for the "rubber banding" effect when you pull past a certain amount of tension.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  7. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@John Hargreaves just ran some laps with those settings with the Ultima GTR and F ultimate, they feel nice to me on G29

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Hargreaves

We bottom of the simracing pondlife need to look after each other :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

@LexxVR
    One thing I've been trying to fix is the lock stop function, which is really weak. I finally got it working properly, but @NuScorpii got there first. He posted his solution here. :cool:

10. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

@Goffik I'll take a look at the diffs using WinMerge. The lock stops have been working well for me, with a per-car wheel rotation being set by the sim with the wheel on "AUTO" rotation degrees. I definitely notice when running into the lock stops: can take it further but it's a whole lot of resistance.

11. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

You've already got the main change which is why the New Default is broken and that's to use device_lock_stop instead of custom_lock_stop. I also changed the first parameter to bumpstop to be 1.0 or -1.0 depending on sign of output. Seems to help with the consistency of bumpstops being applied.

12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but for me they weren't working very well even with your profile. Despite your change to device instead of custom, I was only getting a very low force applied which was entirely unnoticeable on my T300 when driving, and barely noticeable when stationary. Adding the rule with either steering_pos which I used initially, or wheel_dir as NuScorpii has, seems to make the force strong and noticeable at all times.

But again, DDs and belt-driven wheels are very different beasts so that could explain it.

13. blanes

blanes Member

Probs a dumb question ! But how do I access the New Default file settings to change the engine scale ? I would love to add some more engine vibe and road feel to that file but cannot find it anywhere.

I did hours of laps last nite with Lexx's custom ffb file using all the P2/3/4 cars and was swapping there and back to New Default. In the end I have stuck with New Default even though I love the road feel in Lexx's file. Reason is that with Lexx ffb I do not get enough feel of lateral G forces or tire grip moving or cornering like I get with New Default as it feels very loose even with jacked up settings on Lexx's (love your work nonetheless Lexx !)

ps. Is there some trick to make the software write the New Default file to a directory ?

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  14. John Hargreaves

I think I read that the blank custom file is the same as the default?

15. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah G29 isnt that bad friend.
    I only recently bought one after having higher end wheels and the G29 is still great for simracing imo.
    These days i want a plug and play setup as i play many more types of games.
    Ofcourse ideally i should have my rig as before with a second high spec gaming PC but its just not doable for me so G29 is perfect,i can add/remove to desk in 30 seconds which is perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Hargreaves

Oh it's a good piece of kit, and for value for money there's nothing to touch it :)

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Go to My Documents/Automobilista 2, and delete the current ffb_custom_settings.txt. Start AMS 2 and then exit again. It will have generated a new ffb file with the current New Default values in it. Open it up and tinker away. Then when you want to use it, go to the FFB options in-game and choose the "Custom" FFB profile. Sorted. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Manohy

Manohy Member

Just tested with Stockcar V8 and F-Ultimate@BHatch with the LEXX Vr file with a G27 with G 100_LFB53_Fx07 . Very good and the rattling seems gone. My wheel seems be more alive. Still experimenting but will report here soon.Reiza should allow users to add multiple customs FFb files the switchable in game.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Yes! They absolutely should. It would make testing soooo much easier.

20. Madonion

Madonion Member

Thankyou Lexx!

Thrustmaster T300 GT.
    Thrusmaster software 100%

Ingame
    Gain 89%
    Low fx 30%
    fx 20%

i usually got those vibrations out of my transducers but its still awsome to feel a tiny bit more detail! Great work!