1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and Improved: LexxVR's Custom FFB for AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Lexx VR, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Hi @Mpowerjohn147, the 100% is for the overall maximum (limit) which will prevent increased force beyond that point, so that all values beyond this will come out at the same (max) force. This is known as clipping, and removes information from the signal, if and when you hit that limit.

This is the same as having a wheel capable of less max torque (or not using the torque key), and is likely safer for novices to limit unexpected jerks and jolts (which experienced drivers will anticipate and avoid).

But you can also achieve similar ffb strength reduction by turning down the FOR (FFB force) in the range of 0 to 120, which comes up later on in the tuning menu. This scales the amplitude of whole signal, so the reduction of all forces is proportional rather than just flatlining the signal past a cetain point.

The preservation of the whole signal is why I recommend the latter, but if you truly are a novice you may be safer with the former.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Today, a new Fanatec beta firmware was released: v372. Check the fanatec beta driver forum for the update.

Running this firmware, I noticed stronger FX and more detail for a given interpolation setting.

Some recommended adjustments as of v372:

- Increase Fanatec interpolation filter from 2 to 3

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  3. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

So, after one full week of testing I’ve backtracked on reducing the FX 10%, and rather increased it by 10% to 88-90.

This increase makes up for slight dulling of details due to raising the fanatec DD interpolation from 2 to 3, which I find is needed to stay above the “gritty” zone with driver v372.

4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Hey guys Im struggling a lot to get accused to FFB.
    In all my 15-20 years in sim racing I have used some 100% handcontrolled non-FFB wheels (because of injuries on my legs).
    Latest the shown SRW-S1.
    But now I have mounted it on a T500 base.
    And is struggling a lot because the FFB effect is destroying the subbtle fingercontrol with throttle/brake.
    But Im still stubbornly struggling with this issue.:rolleyes:

My understanding:
    Im using the Thrustmaster T500 + default option in the wheel menu and therefore(?) I can find no "ffb_custom_settings.txt" in the Documents\Automobilista 2 folder.
    As I understand it AMS2 does only create such a file if I chose "Custom" in the wheel menu.;)
    OK?

My questions is now
    1. If I chose Custom do I then have to repeat both the calibration of wheel and the mapping of all the buttons?
    2. If I afterwards then want to go back to "Default" - have I then lost all my former calibration settings + the orig button mapping on my SRW/Thrustmaster?

This FFB thing is killing me:mad:

srw.jpg

5. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Choose “custom” under the Force Feedback menu, not “custom” as the type of wheel.

If you change the type of wheel to custom, you will have to remap all the buttons and input axes. This will not change the ffb type.

If you change the FFB type to custom, the file will be created if it doesn’t exist, and the current custom settings file will be activated. You can switch this back and forth while driving (pause, then change it under “options”) and it won’t affect your wheel calibration or input assignments.

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Great.
    Thank you @Lexx VR :)
    Glad I asked because otherwise I would just have thought it was the type of wheel I should change.:confused:

7. MoonieGT

MoonieGT New Member

I just gave this file a shot and I definitely think it was feeling better than the default OEM ffb. However, I just had one of those scary DD moments... I was driving (in a straight line) down the start/finish straight at Cascais in the Hot Cars Fusca HC1, and the wheel randomly went full lock to the right, ripping out of my hand... very scary!

I was using your suggested in-game AMS2 settings. On my DD1, I had Overall FFB strength set at 55 as 100 sounded too high to start with and did set Force Effect Strength at 60. I have NDP, NFR, and NIN all set to off as I usually love that feeling, but maybe that's the problem?

8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Am I completely wrong when I thought that setting the FFB to "Custom" would produce a ffb_custom_settings.txt in the mentioned documents folde?
    My AMS2 install didnt produce anything!!
    No file:rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh silly me. I was looking in the wrong folder::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    My Documents\Automobilista 2\savegame\xxxxxxxx\automobilista 2

The mentioned ffb_custom_settings.txt was created if the man had just looked in the right folder:p

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  9. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard New Member

I was pretty impressed with the out of the box ffb with my OSW. Tried this setting and wow it feels great! What is really nice is to have pretty heavy steering in the cars without PAS without it jolting and rattling which seems to happen in most other sims. The amount of feel especially on corner exits as the rears break traction is amazing. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clippy2020

Clippy2020 New Member

@Lexx VR
    Absolutely incredible file. I don't know what you are doing differently from the other files, but this has repaired AMS2 for me after a long break (again).
    Settings (T300 RS):
    100% in control panel
    Gain 72
    Low Boost 40
    FX 10
    Damping 5

• Like Like x 1
  11. RoloFuentes

RoloFuentes Member AMS2 Club Member

@Lexx VR

What can I change in the file to have a stronger FFB, feel it too weak I remember on PC2 was a line that should be added... but can't find it and cant remember... any clue?

Thanks!!

12. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Hi great profile thanks

is there a way to increase front suspension effect ??
    For braking etc