New to Automobilista&some suggestions

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Pr3t3nd3r, May 22, 2016.

1. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r New Member

Hi guys!

I bought Automobilista yesterday and I must say I really love it! As a sim racing fan I was looking to buy this game for a long time and I finally did it :D

Overall I must say it's a pure pleasure to play this game but there are few things that I would like to know if possible :)

First of all I would like to know if there are any plans for improving gamepad support for this game especially handling? As a Xbox 360 gamepad user the most annoying thing is the force and a speed of steering wheel when you release the pad. It returns back to the center to fast which forces to act car strangely. You could solve this by adding the force of wheel returning (kinda linearity and steering speed option):

What about the driver animations in the cockpit? Currently AFAIK there is no option to turn on hands on the steering wheel? I read somewhere that you are working on it? (a link would be really appreciated :))

Overall I am grateful to the Reiza that you have delivered such an amazing game and I believe you will be improving this game in a long term.

Now a little suggestion. I can give you some great feedback on how to improve the gamepad support since I have lots of hours playing other sim racing games with the pad :) I would be proud to help you making some improvements ;)

Cheers& respect to you all! ;)

2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello and welcome friend.

Glad you've come along for the reiza rollercoaster and were all sure you will be thrilled when you get off! Regarding your points...

I don't want to be that guy.. but could you save maybe or spend out for a wheel. You will not regret it and AMS true abilities will shine thru. Even if you don't want to spend lots you can pick up a dfgt Logitech or even second hand for about 50ish. I cant stress enough if that your to become a serious sim racer regardless of your ability, a wheel would be a great investment.

The cockpit animations I'm sure will be here soon.

Dan

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r New Member

HI Dan and thanks for the warm welcome!

You sure aren't the first one who told me that so don't worry :D

Sure I am interested into buying a wheel but atm my financial situation won't allow me to do that :( But there are plans in the future for sure. Well gampead users shouldn't be ignored IMO even when this is a true sim which should be played with the wheel...I agree with that :) At the end I have won many races with the pad and people still don't believe me I am just a pad user :p This sim should be supported in many aspects IMO and gamepad is one thing that is not so important, I know :) But if there will be any plans I believe some people would welcome it :)

Well I am really looking forward to what will future bring to this game :) And I am sure looking forward to some driver animation. It's just because I am used to have it in other games and it feels strangely to me to drive without any hands on the steering wheel :)

Thanks for the reply and wish you best ;)

4. Greyn

Greyn New Member AMS2 Club Member

LOTS of smilies there!

Have you touched the in-game settings at all, Pr3t3nd3r?

I frequently use alternatives to my wheel and much prefer the direct feel that we have in Reiza's sims. It's something that I've missed in most modern games for many years now and have been especially frustrated with systems that, for me, get in the way of what I am trying to do and even hide my input and the car's behaviour with constant shaking of the on-screen wheel. The wheel on the screen in AMS serves as a good guide as it always relates to my input, whichever analogue controller I'm using from various console pads to a joystick or wheel.

Much depends on how you steer and whether or not you want to get the sort of filtering that's now common in big-name PC and console games. I saw during the development of another game that many people almost flick the stick. Much like rapidly pressing keys, it's far removed from my style that closely matches what can be seen when I'm using a wheel.

You'll of course never get 'perfection' through small sticks but if you're simply in need of something less on-off in nature, reducing the axis sliders and tweaking the dead zone slider could help. I don't have the screen caps of my settings screens to hand right now but I can return with the numbers another time if you're interested. In terms of the stick for steering though, I think everything is as low as it can go on an Xbox 360 controller (i.e. 0 on Joy 1 X- and X+) with a raised dead zone that matches whichever pad I'm using.

I have used higher settings with this and other sims in the past but think that I last took Sensitivity to 0%. I'll look at the Speed Sensitivity soon, though my thought is that I moved that down to nothing as well. I could easily be wrong on that, however, so I'd suggest trying a couple of runs after large changes such as + and -25 from the default '50' to see if you find it more comfortable in one direction or the other.

There some other things to potentially help too and I'll make a follow-up post once I've gathered the details together for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r New Member

Well I did put them a lot :)

Yes I have modified the settings. All is perfect except the speed of the steering wheel rotating back to the center. Everything else is simply perfect for me.

When I will have more time I will post at least three different sim racing games and their reaction to releasing the pad back to the center. Maybe you will see what I would like to achieve there.

I understand that perfection can't be reached with the pads but I am just trying to improve my overall experience.

I am looking forward to what you will suggest me to do. Meanwhile I am going to show my settings in the game as well with some footage.

Cheers!

6. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim Member

I don't think they can do something about gamepads, unless they decide to add some kind of "cheated physics" :D

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  7. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r New Member

No need for cheated physics. A simple meter for wheel return would solve every problem with the pad. I don't see any problems as far as it goes with the physics :) Doing that is another thing because I don't know how simple or hard is to produce the code for that.