1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia to add Ray Tracing filter (and more) for all 3D games

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JAGLeMans, Jan 11, 2022.

1. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

This seems to be pretty big news.

Nvidia are adding new filters, including a Ray Tracing filter, for use in all 3D games.
    • SSRTGI (Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination), commonly known as the “Ray Tracing ReShade Filter” enhances lighting and shadows of your favorite titles to create a greater sense of depth and realism.
    • SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) emphasizes the appearance of shadows near the intersections of 3D objects, especially within dimly lit/indoor environments.
    • Dynamic DOF (Depth of Field) applies bokeh-style blur based on the proximity of objects within the scene giving your game a more cinematic suspenseful feel.

• NVIDIA AI Powered DLDSR Unveiled; Marty McFly's Depth-Based Filters (Including Ray Tracing) Coming to GFE

• This is an example of the Ray Tracing reshade filter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I'm still unable to see a difference in ACC after the ray tracing update. So, I would not exspect anything, particularly since ams2 looks already better.
    Regading reshade, most modern gaming TFTs have several modes, that change colour intensity, contrast and sharpening. I alway use those Monitor settings instead of GFX settings.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

ACC didnt get ray tracing, it got the DLSS and FSR update, it would be great if raytracing was included but only performance improvements and visual downgrades, i don't use DLSS, it looks bad.

AMS2 could really do with getting raytraced shadows!! This would remove the ugly AF shadow flicker we are now stuck with even at ultra shadows.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

Ray Tracing has been sold to the public as this game changing feature. But the improvements are more subtle. Particularly if a game is not designed from the ground up for RT.

Lots of sims suffer with a lack of deep blacks and contrast. Particularity shadows, night racing conditions etc. I’ve tried a few filters, and while they work in some conditions, in others they look off.

So interested to see if this RT filter works for an overall improvement in lighting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The big question is: how much FPS will it cost?

6. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro You must first finish AMS2 Club Member

Kunos opted out of RT for ACC because of the observed FPS impact during their testing. I fear it would be the same for any other title - specially if the game is not optimized for it.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Yeah rt reflections are killer for performance but shadows (which AMS2 could really benefit from) are a lot cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

The question is, we looking to a Real human eye looking, or tv monitor looking?
    The reshading filter i see look all like 80-90 television, all color and lights smooshi smaashi.
    Normally in Rl "the graphics " are more brighter and sharper..with a ton of blue, red, and green...

• Agree Agree x 1