1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. TinMan_JB

TinMan_JB Member

Poor AI wet calibration
    Version 1.5.0.2
    Custom championship weekend
    Oulton park Fosters, Caterham Academy
    22 AI opponents, 95, 85, 70% skill, low aggresion
    Race date: may 15th 2009, track temp 20-26
    Quali was at 9:00 in light rain, wet track (real weather)
    Race at 11h, light cloud, wet track (real wether)

Quali laptimes (AI 95% skill)
    AI best: 1:12.7
    AI slowest: 1:13.7
    Player best:1:19.2 (probably could do better with more practice, but not 6 sec better)

I went to race, there was no more rain, but track was still wet. Last on the grid. AI just buzzed off and I lost them un 3 corners. So I restarted the race with 85% AI skill, with similar result. Finally I toned AI down to 70%. On race start I could follow fine. Then track started to dry out and I was getting faster, while AI not so much. By the end of the race, I was P1 from dead last, with AI offering little challenge (as it should at 70% skill).
    I also tried some quick races with GT3s at Silverstone and at Red Bull Ring, where AI was a good match at 100 and 101% in dry and wet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sputafuoco

Sputafuoco Member

• Car / Track used: Ginetta G40 / Velopark 2017
    • AI Strength setting: 112
    • AI Aggression setting: high
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Velopark2017ginettag40.png

3. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I never got my car flip from behind that many times in a game before and I never changed the aggression. It's always medium...maybe I need to change to low.

4. SlicedSardine

SlicedSardine New Member

Custom Championship. Formula Junior, Imola 1977 I think. Ai set to 85. 15 minute race. I qualified about 3 seconds faster than the AI, best AI lap was 2.00 Come race time, while I had fun, no one was over 1.58.5. What's the point of the qualifying or AI slider if the results are completely different during the race?

5. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

How long was the Q session? Did the weather conditions change between sessions?

6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI still behave like maniacs in Monza 1991. Before the chicanes, they ram each others like crazy trying to force their way through and no one ever steps back, causing casualties and pileups.
    Aggression settings do not change anything, because it is about the way they drive in general.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Weird, I haven't had any inconsistencies with the AI pace from qualy to race in the Juniors, haven't done Imola though. But I have raced in Silverstone, Monza, Sudschleife,Snetterton and a couple of others and they have never been faster in the race than qualy, same pace yes, but never faster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, Monza 1991 did not get the AI lines update that other tracks did, hopefully soon .

9. SlicedSardine

SlicedSardine New Member

Practice was 30 minutes, Qualifying was 10, Race was 15. All weather was Light Cloud. Times were consistent between practice and qualifying. Then suddenly they were matching my pace. In this case was fine because I had it set too low (hadn't played in awhile).

Just in case this matters - I did skip to end on qualifying when there was about a minute left.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  10. SlicedSardine

SlicedSardine New Member

Thanks, maybe I'll try some other tracks and I just got unlucky with my track selection.

11. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That does sound strange.

12. Skidmark33

Skidmark33 Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Bathurst 2020
    • AI Strength setting: 93%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): across the top of the mountain esp. the dipper
    • AI Aggression setting: Medium and Low (happens on both)
    • Session Distance: 14 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light cloud, clearing to full sun
    • Player Tyre: Default set up
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Default set up
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    • AI cars: 29 x Super V8 My car: Super V8
    • Version: Current public build
    Firstly this is a brilliant recreation of both track and cars and a lot of fun. Thank you!!

Several AI issues though:

* AI trying to pass at EVERY (non) opportunity. Right across the mountain the AI are constantly trying to pass even though there is a lot of traffic and no room to do so. Today I was punted at the dipper several times by cars trying a move around the outside (!), the inside or simply right through me. Now you might say go faster and that won't happen but I was nose to tail with the car in front and the car in front of that was the same and so on for 5-6 cars - it actually looks and feels very realistic until the AI goes full send and either takes me out or hits the wall itself. [I have also had AI try to make aggressive passing moves at e.g. Portier on the Azure circuit among other totally inappropriate places.] I wonder if it's possible to ban the AI from attempting passes in certain places? At the moment they seem to simply be coded to "see gap -> send".

* Unnatural acceleration. I understand that the AI are almost certainly on more basic physics than the players and I understand why that's necessary. Problem is AI seem to be able to accelerate in a physics-defying manner that exacerbates the problem above. It becomes "see gap -> afterburners to hyperspace -> send".

* Side by side (by side) for long stretches. The AI love running side by side even across the top of the mountain and down through the esses. No one in their right mind would do that. (You might find a video of it but the reason there'd be a video is its crazy and likely to get you killed.) They also try to do it at Azure (which looks a lot like Monaco!) and will not give up even if it means driving themselves into a wall. The issue here is the AI are extremely reluctant to concede in a battle and drop behind because they cannot recognise a dangerous situation or a low % move, so they just stay there side by side through chicanes, hairpins the lot...

It finally becomes:
    "see gap -> afterburners to hyperspace -> send -> never give up, never surrender".

Everything above is meant to be helpful and constructive. The AI are mostly terrific. I love this sim and have committed fully to it with Club Membership.

I just want the AI to be a little bit more " I " and a little less " A ". :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skidmark33

• Car / Track used: Bathurst 2020
    • AI Strength setting: 93%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Murray's corner (standing start)
    • AI Aggression setting: Medium and Low (happens on both)
    • Session Distance: 14 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light cloud, clearing to full sun
    • Player Tyre: Default set up
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Default set up
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    • AI cars: 29 x Super V8 My car: Super V8
    • Version: Current public build
    A quick one. At a standing start the AI cars that are at the back of the grid in the outside lane before Murray's corner just drive straight off the road when the lights go green.

[​IMG]

14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI with it's simplified physics has way too much grip going out of slow corners in general (rocket mode!!), never has too fight with traction. In sections like the Esses in Bathurst, this can be very unpleasant for the player, as the AI tries crazy moves and constantly goes for a gap which simply is not there, ramming human player out of it's way.
    They also leave garage with warm tyres and instantly are attacking, whilst player has to warm up his ones during first laps in many cars like retro open wheelers.
    That's the reason why I do not like to drive against the AI there, I love this track, though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Skidmark33

Yes - I did another race this afternoon and I wondered about that - AI were all over me for the first few laps but once my tyres were warmed up I could pull away or at least hold my own.

I really enjoyed the race by the way (I survived!) but when watching the replay I noticed that the two AI cars about 1 second in front of me were side by side for about five consecutive laps banging doors and exchanging paint but they never seemed to be losing any time compared to AI running by themselves. Curious.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  16. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

For the AI, it is also normal to cut corners when trying to overtake or leave track on the outside and then just come back and ram player.

Those issues are there for years now and were often mentioned in this forum. I fear that it will never be fixed in AMS 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Skidmark33

I am optimistic that they will be fixed. The devs have shown they are willing and capable of making significant improvements in other areas so why not AI as well…

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Because nothing has changed for years now...:whistle:.

19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

They’ve probably focused on fixing the physics

20. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The physics are constantly changing, if you change the physics you change how a car behaves on the corners and on the straights, which means that the AI has to be reajusted once again, so logically its better to focus on adjusting the physics first, and then when cars are stable across the board then you work on the AI, if not you're gonna get an update that breaks the AI and you have to do it again.

• Agree Agree x 1