1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Game is out for more than 3,5 years now, physics have been adjusted several times, but the general behaviour of AI was always the same. So, I lost hope...;)

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The guy above literally explained why

3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

So, how long shall we wait for a proper AI behaviour? Another 3 and a half years? Or 15? :rolleyes:

4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I don’t know, but shouldn’t take 3 years since the physics are finally where they should be

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

The thing is that there are general behaviours that don't are entirely physics dependant IMO. The side by side for entire laps without time loss, the track cutting when refuse to yield, the reluctance to overtake, their ability to take every line outside the ideal racing line while side by side without losing speed, time and/or traction, even with two wheels on the grass, etc.

Those examples are more on the behaviourial side of the AI that always remained the same, and are not entirely physics related.

As @deadly pointed out, I'm affraid that after several years, none of those were properly addressed despite Reiza continuous efforts to tame the terrible vanilla AI of the engine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

• Car / Track used: P1GEN2 / Goiania and Taruma, but it seems to be not track related

• AI Strength setting: 115-120
    • AI Aggression setting: high
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Despite the Sigma being apparently the fastest car in the class (based on my own testing and every leaderboard I have seen), it's the slowest car in the class when driven by the AI.

UPDATE: The information above refers to practice sessions. In a race, it's a lot worse. The AI basically can't drive the Sigma GEN2. They crash soon, lose a lot of laps and return to the track to be stuck behind slower classes cars.

It's great to have a new model in P1 class, but I hope Reiza can fix it, because right now it seems pretty useless in single player mode.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
  7. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

I found out the other night that they seem even worse when trying to lap them. I had one cross from one side of the track over to my side just to get in front of me.

8. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Yeah, AI behavior needs a complete overhaul, not just some physics related tinkering.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Another thing about the AI (maybe one of the hardest parts to fix):

AI is often very inconsistent when you switch from one track to another within a certain car class.

Example:
    You have a race at 100% strength on track A and are driving circles around them. Then, you switch to track B and the artificial buddies might do the same to you all over sudden, sometimes almost driving laptimes like the record holders in TT, but in race conditions (fuel wear, engine wear and so on).
    It is not the same with all car classes, some are quite well optimized and you can easiliy find the opponent skill level that suits you. But there are some others, where I often have to adjust the AI strength when changing the track.

But to be fair:
    As AMS 2 offers loads of different cars and tracks, programming well balanced skill levels for all cars/tracks might be an enormous load of work, especially with these simplified physics of the AI, which allow them to drive fantasy lines without losing speed or grip, jump over high curbs without losing traction and stuff like that.
    Easier for racing titles like the F1 franchise, where developers just have to adjust AI for a few cars and tracks.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cebra

cebra New Member

How much fuel does the ai use? I don't think they completely fill the fuel tank, aren't they?
    Because in every race the ai comes 1 or 2 laps before me into the pits. And are there some calculations for the ai regarding a splash and dash? Or will they use the same amount of fuel as in every other regular pit stop?
    And the last question: Even if I don't repair damages and don't use a fresh set of tyres, the ai makes their pit stops 5 to 10 seconds faster. Maybe because they don't fill their fuel tank completely (as mentioned in the first question?)

11. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well it depends on the race length and if there are mandatory pit stops. They tend to fuel the car to the maximum, so if you are doing a race that can be done with a full tank with mandatory pit stops, they will only change tires, if you had to put fuel, your stop will take longer.

You can actually test this by doing a race with cars that show the fuel level on the dash. Start the race then retire and monitor the AI to see how much fuel they have. In most of my tests they always fill to the maximum needed to complete the race.

• Like Like x 1
  12. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

The AI is getting worst imo. Suddenly, I have to be more cautious than ever of AI coming from behind and ramp me causing my car to spin. This, despite setting to low aggression. It's like they're blinded and did not know there is a car in front of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

In my experience:
    - The AI usually pits around 1 lap earlier than they should. It used to be worse, it got better, I think it was an update at the end of 2022.
    - Sometimes (not always) they can be smart and do a splash and no tyres to complete a race
    - Sometimes their pitstop seems to be shorter than expected and I can't always figure out why/how they did it. I suspect in some cases they did not refuel completely and will pit earlier next time. I didn't go as deep as to monitor their dash.

It's not perfect, but it improved lately.

14. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I did a race at Imola and then retire to check what the AIs are doing. They refuel after just 1 lap despite having full tank at 60liters lol. Reiza, what are you doing with the AI?

15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Which car, what race distance, weather settings, acceleration of tire wear and fuel consumption in use? Was it in 1.5, was it before the update?

16. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I believe it's formula USA 2023 (was trying to test out the DRS mode on this car), track Imola with DRS zone, race distant 10minutes, weather sunny, I believe tire wear is 2x, fuel consumption maybe 2x...it's 1.5.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Formula USA 2023 has no DRS - It has Push to Pass, by boost button hold.

Okay settings are noted!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

I had my first full course yellow experience the other night. When it came out I was right behind a AI car that virtually slammed on the brakes I guess to slow for the yellow. Luckily I wasn't right behind them but off to the side so I went past a bit before I got slowed down. I thought I had better give the place back but even slowing to a crawl the AI car wouldn't pass so I just went forward to get behind the next AI car.

Are you supposed to give the place back or it that too sophisticated for the game to figure out? It doesn't call a penalty for that situation does it? I didn't get one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

One thing I observed when the AI is overtaken by player on the inside in middle fast/fast corners is that they do not step back when player is already ahead, but tend to force their way through coming from the outside with magic grip, reovertake player and then, because of being too fast, go right in front of player's nose and excessively slow down on the apex, where you should already accelerate again.
    For players who are new to AMS 2, it is hard to avoid the AI then and it can be a frustrating experience.

This issue can be seen very well in historic Spielberg at Bosch-Curve and Rindt-Curve (last corner).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
  20. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

Completely agree. And with me having the game less than a month it is frustrating because I can't trust that the pass I just made is going to stick. I'm clearly ahead on the preferred line and should be pulling away but wait a minute, "how did he do that?" he's back in front of me and is now blocking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1