1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

This is the kind of move that often ruins races for me, I'm clearly ahead and have the racing line, the AI car keeps its foot on the throttle and pit maneuvers my car. In that situation the AI should get off the throttle and back off instead of pushing me off the track.

Sprint Race, Nurburgring GP, 10 minutes, Ai difficulty 100, AI aggression max, dry weather.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tbh if a car is beside me on the outside and we tend to be two-wide through a corner i'll leave enough space for the car outside when leaving the corner knowing that the opponent is probably still beside me. That also means that you have to leave your ideal line in some cases, unless you're Hamilton or Verstappen and you go 150% aggressive all the time. :D Your choice. I know that waiting sometimes saves you a lot of trouble and nerves. Never expect a human or (aggressive AI) to back off just because you think you have a right to be on your ideal line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

This AI just wants to force it's way through player's car. Goes for it's rear, keeps on going full throttle and tries to turn the car into a spin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. F_B

Your way of interpretation. I have a different take. What now?

5. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

That's no interpretation. If you ram a car coming from behind without doing anything to avoid the crash, the stewards won't give you a reward, with the exception of demolition derby. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. F_B

Yeah sure, but why being stubborn and not leave space for the opponent or leave "your" idealline in the first place? When you know where the other car is placed…don't shut the door. As I see FS7s video he is in front, yes, but he also assumes the opponent will back off. Which from my experience is a bold assumption when racing because it can often lead to crashes when somebody - oh surprise! - does not want to back off. Don't get me wrong: your or FS7s opinion is not wrong! But this racing situation can also be handled another way. That's all I want to say. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get what you mean. But in such a situation, the car in the back must know that guy in front just may not see him in his mirrors anymore and is not aware of the track-position of car behind, whilst the other one sees the car in front.
    And the AI in AMS 2 acts like that in many car/track-combinations. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

It's very clear in the video that I left enough space and I didn't "shut the door" or do any type of weird unpredictable move. The AI should be programmed to leave enough space in this type of situation, and back off if there's any contact, not try to pit maneuver me at any cost.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. F_B

I am of the opinion that in such situations it is both parties responsibility to be careful and leave enough space. Always. And I also think that you did not leave enough space or you were a tad too optimistic that the opponent lifts off. So to sound official: that's a race incident for me which would have been avoidable.

However it's totally fine if you think otherwise, I just stated my pov.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To me that video is a perfect example of Player A wanting everyone to agree with him/her and getting annoyed when Player B makes a very valid observation (i.e. disagreeing) going on the *1* viewpoint.

My take on that sole one video;
    • There was an overlap so the AI had every right to be up the inside
    • Hard to tell if the Player turned in on the AI or the AI turned "right" to spin the player
    • No major incident occurred, a mere off track excursion
    • No Data to show steering inputs of Player A and the AI
    • With my Race Steward Hat on - Racing Incident, no further action
    Another one of those "seen in it real life plenty of times, move on" videos. Sure if it happens a lot and you have further evidence then present a hard case, but I'm sorry one video with one angle isn't going to help determine whether the AI is at "fault" or the Player, or as above it's merely a racing incident. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Does the AI tires don't suffer with heating?

Doing a 40min race (1h training and 10m qualify) with old touring Corvettes at WWT Road short, I was a little more than a second faster than the AI (100% with full agro)... at qualify I was over one and a half second faster. The track temperature was around 40ºC on both sessions (using real weather for 25/08/2022) and over 55ºC for the race. During the race I was faster for the first two laps, them my tires begun to overheat (left tires were orange by the third lap) and the AI got way faster than me.

I tried to rise tire pressure, use less toe (even tried to use zero toe and add some "positive toe-in" on front tires to see if at least both sides heat at the same time). And, of course, I tried to slow my pace.

The issue is that the AI drivers were going at the same pace during all sessions and only me had to slow down, as if their tires didn't overheat at all. And not only that, by 20 min of racing, my engine accumulated from 10 to 35 % of damage, what I believe also coasted over car performance.

Is this a current AI limitation (will it be addressed?), you haven't balanced it for this car/track combo or I am lacking some knowledge about driving techniques and/or vehicle settings?

Abração!

12. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

If you consider online racing at AMS2 open servers, it's not only realistic, but also the rule.

Also, at some racing categories, it's also common (inclusive at the real Sprint).

IMHO: I'm totally against this kind of maneuver because the AI took positioning at your blind spot. NEVER DO ANYTHING THAT AN OPPONENT CAN'T SEE AND REACT TO. But, also, the AI didn't dive bomb at you, just behave as ever self-entitled online racer that believe to be Senna's reincarnation and that to have the "divine right to win at all costs". It's not an excuse, but it's something that happens ALL THE TIME at online racings (even on some closed "VIP" leagues), happens on some major leagues (as BTCC, Aus Super Car, SC Brasil and will not even talk about NASCAR) and will keep on happening.

The only thing we can do is to always use the radar, always watch our six and, when racing against AI, trying to use less aggression.

PS: I dream to race a full grid of real people that have as much chivalry as AMS2 AI. And wish even more that someday, Reiza do the AI for the Milestone's Ride series.

EDIT: What the AI did to you wasn't even the best strategy to overtake you, because it forced both cars to keep slow driving lines for too long (in the case that you have seen it coming). Unfortunately, maneuvers like this are becoming the standard. That is why I agree with @F_B

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

My 2 cents on this topic:
    I never use the radar, because those little moving rectangles on the screen make me mad during driving, especially when driving within a pack. :rolleyes:
    But I use "Crew Chief", which works pretty well with AMS 2. As soon as an opponent comes close like in this video, the spotter warns me and I can adjust my driving line.
    I also drive with the virtual mirror. Yeah, I know, it is not realistic, but without it is hard to judge what is going on behind me, as I do not play in VR and in many cars you just do not see your mirrors left and right on your monitor.
    Above that, I am into AMS 2 since the early days, so I got used to it's AI-behaviour and adjusted my driving style and aggressiveness, especially with open wheelers, where the AI tends to go for your rear tyres and still loves to cut corners in chicanes in order to avoid being overtaken.

When it comes to multiplayer, you are absolutely right; I often observe people driving without any tool that would make them be more aware of other cars. Neither a radar nor a spotter or virtual mirror. Needless to say that those guys are the ones which are involved in incidents quite often when it comes to fighting against an opponent, because they just have no idea where other car could be on track. And then, the lame excuse all the time: "Sorry, I did not see you." :whistle:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nacho1311

Nacho1311 New Member

Championship mode
    F1 Classic Gen4 at Imola 1988
    Rain started during the race. First only lightly then more and more.
    The AI had no problems to drive fast laps with the slicks while I got clear problems with the grip.
    I changed to rain tires. The AI stayed out one more lap. The track was now completely wet. I had hardly any grip even with the wet tires.
    To my surprise, I noticed that the AI could even drive faster lap times with the softs than I could with the wet tires.
    Calibration is certainly still necessary here. Due to these circumstances, an offline championship with changing conditions is currently not properly playable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 New Member

I'm with deadly, though I do use the radar. I highly recommend Crew Chief and it's spotter functions.

IMHO AI seems to be too timid. For example ran a race over the weekend, sorry can't remember track. It was in the Stock Cars 2021 and AI and I were going through a chicane that featured immovable stacked tires to the inside of the AI. I thought I left them enough room, I did not but instead of the ai forcing me over or taking me out, they instead ran right into the stack of immovable tires. Which should have destroyed their car and barely damaged it. Not sure if damage needs work in this game I need to check my settings.

16. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the left car has the right of space, it has its front wheels next to the other car before the apex but is cut off anyway, the right car should have left a bit more space, I think

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

• Car / Track used: Sprint Race, Galeao Airport
    • AI Strength setting: 100-110
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): -
    • AI Aggression setting: medium
    • Session Distance: 20 min
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Player Tyre: dry
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): dry
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Race

Ai cars are way too fast overall. At 100 %, in other tracks I have no problems battling for the podium. But in this track, they are too fast in straights (I tried every possible setup to increase my top speed and they are always faster) and in fast corners (not the slow ones). Their lap times are close to world record at 100%. Which seems off becuse I'm not near world record in any track LOL, but I'm near the AI in other tracks...

18. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Personally I’d of moved over a bit more to the right to take the next left anyway , looks like the ai was trying to move that way in order to have a half chance of making the corner but because you kept it tight they couldn’t.
    just my opinion and I’ve made plenty of mistakes. But I’ve had recently some fantastic races against ai using the 992 cup mod.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skidmark33

Skidmark33 Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (992) NB mod @ Daytona Sports Car Course
    • AI Strength setting: 100%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): In field vs Oval
    • AI Aggression setting: Medium
    • Session Distance: 30 minutes + 1 lap
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light cloud, clearing to full sun
    • Player Tyre: Default set up
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Default set up
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    • AI cars: 29 x Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (992) My car: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (992)
    Even though I'm using a modded car here, the issue is not with my car (I'm pretty sure) but the difference in AI capabilities in the in-field part of the track vs on the oval.

Starting the race in last place, in the infield (turns 1 to 6) I am all over the AI and can make several overtakes, especially in turns 3, 5 and 6. Problem is even with my best exit from turn 6 the AI I just passed are all over me (or have even passed me round the outside!) by Turn 8. They are then mighty through Bus Stop (although that one my be my ability not theirs), and very quick through turn 12 (no matter how good my exit from turn 11). The net result is that with AI =100 I stay put in last place - I can make 2-3 places in the in field easily but lose them (and sometimes more) between turns 6 and 8 and 11 and 1.

[​IMG]

Obviously I could turn down the AI a tad (so that I can progress which is what I want) but that would mean demolishing the AI in the in-field (perhaps passing 4-5 cars each time) and then maybe losing a spot or two on the oval, which is not satisfactory as it would feel unrealistic. The problem to me seems to be the relativity between oval and in-field with the AI too strong on the oval / too weak on the in-field.

EDIT: Hmmmm... just did an AI=95% race with same specs as above. It was freakin' awesome. So it's tricky isn't it? I do think I improved my exits from turns 6 and 10 which helped but relative to the AI I was still much faster in the in-field but it was more balanced elsewhere. I started 30th and finished 16th (after passing 9 cars on lap 1 - which is the AI standing start problem not a track problem).

Interesting that I had to push AI down to 95%. I just ran with the same cars and conditions at Spa and that was at 110%. I realise this is a known issue, being addressed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  20. Skidmark33

Skidmark33 Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it feels like this sometimes - I have complained about it with the Super V8s at Bathurst trying to go 2-wide down the mountain or trying to make overtakes that are clearly not on. The video though doesn't seem to be an example of this behaviour. With my stewards hat on I'd say racing incident as well - both drivers could, in hindsight, have done more to avoid it: FS7 expected AI to back off- they didn't. AI expected FS7 to leave more room - he didn't.

Just an opinion. Opinions are not facts.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023