1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. ahwai

ahwai retro wong ah wai

glitch in automobilista 2 Daytona oval track practice formula hi-tech gen1 Model 3 low down force , when formula hi tech gen 1 model 3 starting to run on track , the formula car gen 1 model 3 hi tech straight away spining 360 and lost control, after a spin the f1 can run normal until after the pit line and i can control the f1 as normal.

2. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

So what is the right number of mistakes over a period of laps/time. Some games have had at various points in time far too many unforced errors. If 100% AI is meant to represent a spread of decent quality drivers competent to race in that class how many mistakes should they make over say 20 laps. Is a mistake a full spin or just going off line, or a bit too late on the brakes with a lockup etc. You have to be very careful as to how you define these things. RF2 went through a period where in some scenarios half the cars would have a major spin during a 15 lap race which was a bit crap.

3. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Are you some PR person ? Because i got no idea what you are even trying to say here. All i know is that adjusting AI parameters like mistake frequency with the custom XML file makes basically zero difference in how often they occur. I tested many times even at lowest possible numbers and it made no difference.

4. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Yeah, I didn't want to be rude but that paragraph genuinely feels AI generated :whistle:

5. Theis Søndergaard

Theis Søndergaard New Member

Montreal 1991 layout - AI over-powered compared to other tracks/layouts?

Doing a 1995 season with the F1 V12s and the custom AI/skins available on RD. On 100% AI skill, I'll normally qualify p1, or at least close, and finish in top-6 if not top-1. But on the 1991 Montreal I get clobbered badly - qualified 7th after many attempts, and struggling to stay in top-15 during the race. Just to compare, I switched to the 1988 layout, and quite easily follow the top cars.

I don't mind the challenge - but wish the AI was a bit more consistent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ruby

Ruby New Member

How come the AI is still really overpowered on high speed sections of tracks? Sometimes even when you force them to the least optimal part of the turn they still hang on to the outside as if they have the grip on the racing surface and it becomes insanely frustrating to pass them. It's the worst at certain parts of Jacarepagua, all of Watkins Glen, Road America... probably a lot more.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if it's been reported before.

But in the Formula UltimateG2 at Spa 2022.
    Whenever a car tries to overtake on the kemmel straight, with the use of DRS. The overtaking car tends to move toward the left (Outside for next corner), which then leads the car slightly onto the grass, and therefore braking.

This leads to the repeated situation most laps, where a car that is within DRS range, at one of the best DRS overtaking spots, seems to give up most opportunities to pass.

I know exactly 0 about how to program AI :D
    but i'm hoping there is a way, to tell the overtaking car to move to the right instead of left in this situation?

I can get a video of this tonight once i get home

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa New Member AMS2 Club Member

This has been happening for a while now, this same problem happens in Imola and Hockeinring, cars cannot overtake in the DRS zone as they are disabled by touching the car in front or leaving the track (in previous versions they were working)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sputafuoco

Sputafuoco Member

• Car / Track used: P4 / Nurburgring gp veedol
    • AI Strength setting: 109
    • AI Aggression setting: medium
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    The ai ghost into you or other ai cars on turn one

10. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

This is for sure something that happens with custom AI, but I presume it happens with vanilla AI as well. The mclaren formula classic and hi-tech cars, all are really slow getting off the line. TimoD demonstrates it here, but I've seen it myself, and in other youtube channels as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Last night I did a 20 lap race with Classic Gen 3 at Adelaide 88, using real date weather, and IMMERSION pack, driving Caffi's Arrows (I think it's Model 4, the V8 with H-Pattern Gearbox). It was a 20 lap race with Aggression at High and AI at 120. Due to several real life interruptions and some issues it took me a good while to get done, plus some restarts. I ended uo doing race only weekend starting last, and went with C tyres and a setup of my own.

IMO, AI has improved in some aspects, mainly on the consequences on car to car contact (no matter if player or other AIs), going off-track, riding kerbs, and even small mistakes like not braking at the correct spot by a small margin or losing some apex speed, creating some opportunities when harassing a car from behind. Sometimes they would go side by side into corners and battle until the bitter end, while others they would yield. Even things like slipstreaming and dirty air are better, and not unfair anymore compared to the past. So far, so good.

The main problem I see regarding racing AI at the moment, and I saw this at other combos I tried on the last days besides this one, is how they deal with a car that is either going at a reduced pace compared to their own, or straight up stationary. Lapped cars came into effect on the race due to some of them being slow, being involved in incidents, mechanical failures, or straight up accidents. If AIs could not get around quickly, it created a train of cars which just exacerbated the effect. I was not able to match the pace of the leaders by more than a second, and yet sometimes I would eat several seconds in a couple of laps as they were stuck. Once in clear air they would set a lap record to remind me who is boss. While some same class blue flag behaviour could definitely help to facilitate these encounters, some better behaviour from passing cars to exhibit more aggression and alternative paths around them should go a long way, and also help avoiding another situation like the one described below...

On one attempt of a race, a big pileup happened at lap 2 exiting Wakefield corner (T4). Senna and Prost tangled (yay realism!) and as they got stuck together, slowly veered to the inside while losing speed at an acceleration spot. The following car braked to a halt instead of looking for a way around. Next car did the same, and on and on, creating an enormous train that got to a standstill in a near perfect column. I swerved and avoided the best I could with the gaps I found, and in two corners I went from P2X to P1. Ridiculous, I restarted the race inmediately as it was unfair.

On the race I did complete, I made a decent start, gained some spots like usual to be around P20 at the end of lap 1, and gradually worked my way up, sometimes in trains of cars, others on my own and slowly reeling others in. Entering the final lap I was P11 but the cars in front were several seconds ahead, which to me was an actually good result and somewhat logical. But after Senna Chicane I could see cars in front going into T4 on a slow train. Inmediately knew that there were again lapped cars slowing everybody down and readied myself to take action. By Brewery Bend I caught them (that means like 6 seconds in half a lap!!) and started making moves since the Brabham straight. Some side by side action, hustling, and a couple well timed lunges to take advantage of the train effect, and the end result was a P5, with P3 and P4 less than a second ahead, separated by a lapped car that only P3 managed to clear. The winner, Senna, was 19s up the road and his best laptime was 1.3s better than my own.

I think the evolution of AI on this title has been good, and most times is adequate for at least my expectations. If Reiza can create/improve code for them to deal with these situations, it would make an instant big leap IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Agreed. In longer races, where slower cars get lapped, they try to let faster cars pass in corners by going really slow through those sections, but without leaving the racing line. On the other hand, the faster ones don't dare to overtake quite often and so they start building huge trains for quite a while. Aggressive AI sometimes try to force their way through which often leads to accidents while lapping slower cars.
    Would be a nice addition, if the backmarkers would slow down on straights in order to let the leaders pass, at least in those classes where blue flags exist in real life.
    In old days of F1, the top drivers had to fight against backmarkers often, because the slow ones did not let them lap voluntarily.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. _ShadowWolfe

_ShadowWolfe Member

Since I'm not exactly sure how to search this, I'm wondering if AI are able to change to a different tire compound yet? Or if there's some sort of a plan for a "Mandatory Compound Change" option?

I did search "AI tire compound" and it seems as of a year ago that the AI didn't do that, but I'm not sure of anything recent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Zedicted

Zedicted New Member

• Car / Track used: Caterham Superlight / Adelaide
    • AI Strength setting: 105
    • AI Aggression setting: high
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    it seems like the AI lack serious top speed in this and some other classes. even with a really bad exit i can easily overtake them on the straights

15. yndoril

yndoril New Member

I also would like to report on this, it seems that AI vs AI has been lackluster since the attacking AI would almost always back off before entering a corner even after going side by side. I'm noticing this on every class I play (Lmdh, gt3, F-Ultimate gen 2), and FUlt gen 2 cars are even worse offender as they would do this even when they have DRS. What I noticed with FUlt gen 2 is that they would draft the car in-front with DRS up until they're super close and then brake hard before actually getting out of slipstream to go side by side which causes the attacking car to lose DRS and proceed not to open the DRS again until the end of DRS zone.

Frankly the AI seems to battle well with each other at road america only, as I've seen multiple overtakes which caught me off guard there.

I play on 103 difficulty and max aggression btw.

• Like Like x 3
  16. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Instead of having a proper overake, faster car still comes way too close to car in front and constantly rams and then brakes than just pass although there would be enough space to do so.
    That way, a quick AI driver does not even manage to overtake on long fast sections like the one from start/finish up to Tosa in Imola 88.
    Cars which have DRS close their wing after touching car in front and completely lose the effect of DRS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

Has anyone else had a problem on Hockenheimring '88 or similar layouts with having multiple safety car periods per race? The other day I ran a older gen F1 race there that was only 10 laps but there were 4 safety car periods. I think a main culprit was that tight chicane at turn 6 & 7 because under one safety car we passed by there and there was a car upside down.

But I remember a Group C race I ran there awhile ago had similar multiple safety car interventions.

18. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hockeheim 88 has been broken for a while now, as you wrote the AI spin by themselves on the exit of the very tight chicane(bremskurve 2) or bang between themselves on entry, also on the third chicane they crash a lot.

You can try using low aggression, helps a bit with their aggressiveness over the tight chicane, reducing the crashes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Dark Demise

Dark Demise New Member

AI don't seem to pass each other in the current update, I've been spectating AI races because something felt off and there is maybe 1 overtake if I'm lucky total over the course of the race. I've tried F-USA 2023 and the LMDh with similar results, but worse with open wheelers.

It seems like they move out of the slipstream for a pass, but then quickly hit the brakes and move back behind the lead car when it should be an easy move.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

It happens with every car class on every track, or when a pass happens it is very artifficial - try watching AI race at Interlagos, the only place a pass happens is in turn 1 and it is always in the exact same way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1