1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Real Weather Report Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Since doing snow on the track is not useful for sim racing purposes, I wouldn't expect Reiza to invest time and energy into a fifth seasonal variation to simulate the one and only weather/climate variant that prevents real racing from occurring.

Can't we just be happy we have a full four seasons (for tracks where that actually exists) instead of the usual one?

P.S., race tracks don't have airport-style snow clearing heavy equipment to expose a bare track with fields of snow everywhere else. Track is closed (usually for the season) when that weather is probable because the only time you can get more/worse than wet sloppy snow is when the temperatures are below 0C, which means the race tires are unsafe to use, so no racing anyway :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not a fifth seasonal variation, it's winter - the fourth season, which has a range of conditions. That's what "Real Weather" means.

AMS2 is totally about providing unique racing experiences other sims don't, so it's totally doable and consistent to have a more snow covered environment, even if the tracks are clean.

That said, it looks like a fun challenge with snow on the tracks too:

Also consistent with the downstream dirt/rally part of AMS2/AMS1 btw, which is, strangely enough, all about driving on different surface types apart from regular circuits - such as *drumroll* snow!

Not to mention ice racing is also a thing: Inside the Wild, Raging World of Ice Car Racing in Minnesota

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

OK, I am waiting for the sixteen gradations of Autumn that occur from barely tinged leaves through to full colour through to bare branches. If that comes by 2030, I'll be satisfied. In the meantime, I'll live with one representation per season.

4. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's no need to get hysterical about it. Take a chill pill.

I made a simple comment which basically boiled down to "more snow on the ground when it actually snowed", as opposed to a bit of frost on parts of the ground. I wasn't talking about track at all, which I also specifically mentioned (and has been mentioned multiple times by Renato)

It's actually how weather systems work in games, which mimic real life weather systems.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

This topic was originally launched in the Beta forum and has now been moved to the open forum in order to gather more reports of any eventual discrepancies users come accross - if you do find any or want to clear up some doubt about it, please post here and report with the location, day and time the discrepancy was observed.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Reiche

Reiche Member AMS2 Club Member

Not exactly about real weather, but about day and night transition:

Are daylight savings figured in? For example, next Monday (summer solstice) sun will rise at 5:21 at Nürburgring, but it's already out when starting a session at 5 AM.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

First round of custom championship at Brasilia, in Porsche GTE. real weather, 10x time. Set weather for 16/1/21 for race. All sessions should have been clear with no rain according to Wunderground weather for those days. It tipped down with rain in practice and q. The race start screen showed rain pouring down as well and the snowy track with black grass
    I exited the race before the start and them went back into it and the weather was now dry but 8°c warmer than forecast and the trackside environment loaded normally this time. Also there was no rain spray from any cars when raining and when the track was soaking.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. F1Aussie

Don't know if it is related or not to any real weather quirks but even when you set race dates the loading screen always defaults to days in March 2019. Is this affecting the date we set for the race?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  10. F1Aussie

11. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

easy access for the devs team, if needed.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  12. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Real weather has stopped working for me- no idea why. I might do a full reset at some point but at the moment everything I try results in 'could not find historical data, using live weather' but then defaults to sunny.

Edit- Seems to be working now, but not sure why. Probably issues at my end. Still getting the issue outlined below though.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Couldn't find realhistoric weather

20210623095847_1.jpg

Campo Grande Toyota Corolla Stock Car 2021

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. F1Aussie

I had the same issue with a track last week but can't remember which it was now.

15. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did a race at Kyalami, current date 04th July 2021 and real weather.
    But it was really hot there, too hot for winter!
    Kyalami.jpg
    Real weather at Johannesburg shows this:
    johannesburg.JPG

16. F1Aussie

I get the same sort of inconsistencies, I think real weather is still buggy at this stage.

17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Since the update to version 1.2.1.2, real weather is not available anymore for me. Game can not find data on any track/date I try, wants to load current weather instead. No such issue before latest update.
    Have deleted my AMS 2 folder and verified the installation on steam, did not help.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. F1Aussie

Had a really weird one last night. First round of custom championship at brands hatch, real weather, date of race 14/2/21, practice was rainy and foliage on trees was like from spring time, qualifying was dry with springtime foliage then the race was dry with winter foliage, or lack thereof as would be expected.

19. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Real weather
    Current live weather
    -OR-
    Real Weather
    Real historic weather?
    I think, current live weather should work (I don't have issues), but real historic weather only if there is a database available already. For example, not for all tracks is a database (till now), and dates before 1975 (or so) as well. Maybe dates older 1975 shouldn't be available if there is no weather database.

20. twistking

twistking Member

Hello,
    is the drying of the track after rain (or with wet preset) always "real time" or is it affected by time acceleration or weather acceleration?
    i played around with it but was not scientific enough in my testing, so result were not 100% clear.

i assume drying and changes to track conditions are always "real time" (independent of time acceleration settings), as this would be the most obvious and logical implementation. can someone confirm?

*edit* i realised that this might be the wrong thread for my questions. please feel free to move this post. sorry!