1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Real Weather Report Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Spinninggenius

Spinninggenius New Member

I ran a race at Donington, starting in game at 5pm today, and was greeted by a glorious sunset. This was lovely apart from the fact that the sun actually set at 6.10pm, not 5.10pm - I've not noticed this at other times of year, does the in-game time account for the european clocks going forwards and backwards in March and October respectively?

2. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Live weather never works for me, it always says, can't find any historical data, going to live weather and then live weather not found and it converts to sunshine without clouds.

How do you use live weather? This is in practice by the way.

3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's some kind of "feature" that if your Windows desktop clock isn't perfectly synced with the weather service, it fails to get the weather data.

4. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

That's it Thank you!

My computer is set on automatic, but it was wrong anyway. Turned it off and on and now all is good!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Found a case of fairly extreme weather behaviour. Championship race, settings in the picture below.

Practice started with heavy cloud + dry. Rain starts in the third sector, goes from 0 to 100 in 10 seconds and the track is getting wet/soaked (clearly puddles forming) on the second lap.

Quali and race aren't quite as clear-cut weird as the start of practice, but they do flip between drying and heavy rain a lot.

[​IMG]

And boy, does the section after T1 in the reverse layout get soaked after a while. It's a river, not a road. Also it's January, to be clear in case the date format can vary.

6. Troodon

Does not seem to be happening in a single race with the same settings, but could be replicated by creating a new championship, so this could be an issue tied to championships.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I believe they said there was a bug with the real weather in custom championships. Happens to me as well randomly, some races it's fine, others it's bonkers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Two issues with latest tracks:
    1. Indy - can't load real weather at all. Just reverts to live weather which seems accurate to the live weather.
    2. Spa 1970 doesn't have weather that goes back to 1970. Less of an issue, but a bit annoying.

9. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Do we know yet if the weather issue in championships has been fixed / is more reliable? I'm having a blast using real weather in single races. I'm scared of starting a championship tho for fear of the weather not working as intended and ruining the experience.

10. Troodon

Not yet. No idea if it'll be in the next update, but I really hope it will. It's probably the biggest issue I have at the moment as an offline player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. John Manetti

John Manetti Active Member AMS2 Club Member

game creation in MP with real weather of the current time, doesn't allow to read the real weather once the P&P server is launched.
    But only 4 random slots are set once the waiting room is launched.
    This is an old bug that was reported over a year ago.

watch the video

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

They aren’t working for me in custom championship yet , transitioning from wet to dry or vice versa seems ok in the default championships though.

13. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think that is because default championships use random weather and not real weather.

14. Spinninggenius

Spinninggenius New Member

In the last few updates the real weather has been working effectively in championships, but now in 1.4.5 we're back to square one again, even when the time progression is only 1x. In my championship, races at Imola (8/5/22), Azure circuit (29/5/22) and Long Beach (12/6/22) all managed to get soaked, dry and then soaked again all between 13:00 and 13:15!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It never changed for me, has always been changing from dry to wet in a corner or two. I am going to pull the pin when I create my next championships so the weather is at normal speed instwead of accelerated

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JavierZumaeta

Yeah, confirmed, it's not fixed in Championship at this point. 4/16/19 at Long Beach. 33 lap race. x2 time progression. Weather changing multiple times, sunny, cloudy, sunny - then in the closing stages, storm. road soaked immediately, in less than a lap. slide onto the barriers, race over. I checked the real weather - Zero precipitation. It's SoCal, after all. If we can't get real weather (or random weather for that matter) to work, I would prefer shifting to different system that generates weather based on a % chance of rain and a variable number of weather slots. Similar to this system Custom Random Weather Generator

On the plus side the AI is incredible. My god what an amazing race it was until that moment. Some tracks still need fine tuning, but yeah, this weather issue is a buzz kill. It works really well in Single Race mode.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Randomized weather based on historical data (so it's appropriate for the location) is already an option built in to AMS 2.

18. JavierZumaeta

Right. As I understand it, AMS2's Random setting takes the chance of rain for that track at that time of year into account when choosing the weather for the slot. But it remains opaque - we don't know what % chance of rain the game has chosen - or if its even working in a custom Championship. I did a custom championship using Random weather, and the end result was similar as currently using Real Weather.

My experience is both Real and Random weather are working well in Single Race or Testing modes, but it does seem to break in Championship.

19. Touc

Touc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry if this has been answered before but how long will a weather cycle last if it’s on X5 I’m guessing it’s about 12 minutes

20. JavierZumaeta

If its set up like a regular session (not real or random weather - just the player setting up the weather slots manually) - yeah, at x5 weather progression it's 5 weather slots in 1 hour - standard being 1 weather slot per hour.

What's confusing to me, is I don't know how Real or Random weather sets up the slots - or if it uses slots at all. It's opaque to me.