1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. Motoneon

Motoneon New Member

Ryzen 5600X
    RTX 4080
    HP Reverb G2
    Which is better than SteamVR or OpenXR ?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anything is better than SteamVR. If you can use OpenXR, then go with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

OpenXR along with the tool kit is so much better. AMS2 has never looked this good.

4. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have OpenXR running, but OpenComposite still shows an error -2. What could cause this error? AMS2 should be able to run under OpenComposite.

5. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The Pico 4 doesn't support OpenXR on PC (it only supports it on mobile). On PC it has to use SteamVR.

6. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

you can select SteamVR as default XR environment (in SteamVR settings). Then it will use XR, lets say SteamXR. This works for iRacing and other XR native games.
    Should do for AMS2 also.

7. Wilfred de Ruijter

There are two options: Use OpenComposite or SteamVR. Since OpenComposite makes AMS2 not run, I had to use the other option (SteamVR), but it feels like OpenXR misses something if it's using SteamVR. I can see I have no headroom at the CPU (Ryzen 5800X) and about 50% at the GPU. I suppose OpenComposite can create some headroom for the CPU.

8. Wolfgang Herold

if you use open composite, then you work with a patched SteamVR dll, that links to the default runtime of OpenXR of the headset. As Pico doesn't deliver its own XR runtime then, it uses the XR runtime part of SteamVR, lets call it SteamXR.
    W/o opencomposite, you use the original SteamVR dll, so definitely SteamVR.

9. Wilfred de Ruijter

I noticed that the CPU load using OpenXR is higher than with SteamVR. As long as OpenComposite doesn't run with AMS2 (for me), I will postpone the use of OC and OpenXR. Now I'm hoping the runtime from Pico will soon release.

10. kune

kune New Member

I have a reverb g2 and rtx 4090. I found that opencomposite actually led to worse performance compared to steamvr. I tested both with 200% SS and even with FFR enabled, framerates on average are lower with opencomposite. Am I doing something wrong?

11. Wolfgang Herold

why do you use 200 SS ?
    Afaik, the G2 is setup with 150% of its native resolution , about 3k x 3k per eye.
    200 SS would make it to 6k x 6k per eye ????

12. Wilfred de Ruijter

I think I have the same thing. I don't know what 200 SS means to the components, software or hardware. So I just fill in the number and look at the result (Image and performance).
    It takes a lot of time to get the things right.

13. kune

kune New Member

200% SS is around 4400x4400. I tried both 150% and 200% and 200% just provided more clarity and less shimmering. Sometimes I will bump it down to 150% if I have weather.

14. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

Does this work with Pico 4? I'm trying to get fixed fov rendering to help lower GPU load

15. MickT

I believe it will work via virtual desktop, but you need to do the per game install, rather than system wide.

16. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have installed openxr toolkit, and copied the dll into the AMS2 folder. When I load the game, it's loading in 2D mode not VR. The only way I get it in VR is by putting the original .dll file back.

any ideas?

17. MickT

There have been some issues with OC downloads recently - if the DLL is only 1k in size, it's broken. I've just checked the download now, and it's fine. Also, make sure you've got the 64 bit version.

18. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

You sir, have done what nobody else on reddit or discord could. Fixed my problem!
    Turns out it must have been a corrupt .dll file. I've downloaded it again and now it's working :)

Only managed a 5% performance boost with it, but better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wilfred de Ruijter

Yes it does. OpenXR works fine. the only thing is....the GPU load is higher, because OpenComposite does not work system wide. So SteamVR needs to run besides OpenXR.
    The trick within OpenXR for me was to assign the arrow keys in stead of the CTRL keys. Then it works more intuitive.

20. deem

deem New Member

Anyone know if there is any way with to achieve the same as opencompistes ‘hiddenMeshVerticalScale’ or the Oculus ‘FOV multiplier’ and crop the top and bottom of the display to boost performance? Running a Pico 4, so open composite isn’t an option.